Minor/Repaint: ROTF T-Cracker from ROTF Dirge

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Swoop Dogg, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I know this has been done by others but I wanted to share my version of ROTF Thundercracker that I repainted from ROTF Dirge. This is probably the second time I have attempted to repaint a figure - I'm learning! My limited skills are obvious when you look at the pics.

Plus, I have a sad story - as I was taking pictures of my Thundercracker, he fell off of my deck and onto a concrete slab below. As a result, his right arm broke off. If anybody has a cheap junker ROTF Dirge with an intact right arm, let me know!

Anyways, attached are the pics. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

• TC1.jpg
      TC1.jpg
      File size:
      128.2 KB
      Views:
    • tc4.jpg
      tc4.jpg
      File size:
      113.1 KB
      Views:
    • tc3.jpg
      tc3.jpg
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    • tc5.jpg
      tc5.jpg
      File size:
      167.5 KB
      Views:
    • tc2.jpg
      tc2.jpg
      File size:
      173.3 KB
      Views:
    • TCF.jpg
      TCF.jpg
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I guess he sure is a terrible flyer for a jet.
    Looks great though.

3. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Looks pretty cool but damn that sucks about the arm. :(  Any chance of gluing it back on?
    -G

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    He looks great!

How about inserting a small peg where it broke and then attaching the arm back on with glue?

5. sentinalsupreme

sentinalsupreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i see no limit, your better then what you think you are.

6. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well placed quality paint job there, he looks like official product!

Also, didn't I read a comic book preview the other day where Thundercracker had been left for dead? I got the vibe he was shot up and pushed off a building by other seekers or something like that, just like yours..

7. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind comments everybody! As far as the broken arm goes, it is not a total loss. Fortunately, the alt mode is really stable due to the fact that the exhust intakes tab directly into the cockpit section. So I'll just keep him in jet mode until I can find a replacement for his arm.

I have never done anything like that before. Do you know of any tutorial or something else that demonstrates this?

Yep, there was an IDW comic featuring T-Cracker who was abandoned by the rest of the Decepticons. Your comment reminds me of a Bobba Fett figure I had as a child in the mid '80s. I liked to put him on top of a lamp as a good "sniper position" whenever I played with him. One time, my mom called me to dinner and I forgot that I left him in the lamp. When I got back to him, his leg was burnt bad from the light bulb. From that point on, I always pretended he was hit by Luke's lightsabre whenever I played with him....

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    No tutorial. I just kind of try different things.

I would find a small enough pin that can hold the two parts together. Melt a tiny hole on both pieces so that the pin can fit and then connect the two parts.

I had to do a similar thing to my City Commander. The head snapped off so I made a new neck and ball joint.

9. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Your paint looks incredibly smooth; is it all airbrushed?

10. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    No, it's not airbrushed. I hand painted everything with Model Master Acrylics (some of the parts I actually dipped into the paint jar). If you looked really close, you can see a few brush stokes on the red stripes on the wings. Like I said earlier, I'm realitively new at this and I don't know the best way of painting large areas without showing brush marks.

I think some of the pictures are making it look better than it really is. But I like it!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  11. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    It would look a bit more like thundercracker if you would Remove the cone part of the head. But otherwise its a Great custom.

12. ironscythe

ironscythe The Critic

News Credits:
    Y'know, a while back, my Dune Runner's waist joint snapped clean off while I was transforming him. I was initially heartbroken, since I'd never done any (successful) repair of a transformer before. HOWEVER, I decided to examine the possibilities of using a screw in place of the waist peg (the break left an indent where the peg had been, perfect for driving a screw into the top of the pelvis), and so I just went ahead and did it, and it worked.

I say try it. You gotta start somewhere.