Heavy/Scratch: ROTF Sunstreaker V.2

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jbarb78, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Here is my second, highly modified Sunstreaker made from the ROTF Swerve figure. I'm very impressed with Hasbro's mold of this figure, and see lots of potential for custom ideas using it. I made a Sunstreaker before, but felt it still looked too much like Sideswipe and that it could use a few more subtle changes. I removed the front corners of the fender/hood/bumper from the feet and attached them to the hood, joined and relocated the "blades" from his arms to the car body, gave him actual feet instead of wheels, put a couple blasters where the blades were, and made a custom spoiler to make him look more like a race car.

After it was disassembled, cleaned and primed, I sprayed the majority of the parts with a mix of Tamiya Lemon Yellow and Copper, which darkened up the yellow and gave it a little metal flake. Then I used a trick I found by accident a while back, spraying a thin coat of Testors Model Master Acryl Gloss Black, which gives off a cracked, marblized effect, rather than just a plain old black racing stripe. Then I brushed on a few thin coats of Tamiya Gun Metal, Chrome Silver, Red, Black, Gold, and Copper to finish him up. After that, I sprayed everything with Duplicolor Clear Lacquer, which gives a high gloss finish that's as smooth as glass. I took my time to make him as detailed as possible, since the figure has so many to bring out. I have lights installed, was working on a battery box to fit inside the figure but havent quite worked out the bugs with it yet. I may end up putting quick connectors on the wires so it can be plugged in to an external source, when I get it working right I'll post more pics. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    yeah!!!
    i like it alot
    the new head look awesome

can u put a close up of it ?

love the leg mod
    which feet did u use ?

3. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks! Feet were outta the fodder bin, I think they were from Blazemaster. Took a couple close ups of the head but they keep coming out blurry, not real familiar with my camera yet on how to fix that.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Beautiful paintwork! I'm wiring up my SS now, and there really is almost nowhere to put the battery pack! Can't wait to see yours lit up!:thumbs2: 

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Awesome mods and slick painting. I love how you removed the blades to differentiate it from Sideswipe. The back kibble works to great effect, IMO, as it does on many of the movie bots - giving Sunstreaker an imposing look. :thumb 

6. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks guys, hey mampy, do you use the 1.6mm led's in the heads? I've got some all over this one, having trouble with the power source. PM me if you have a sec please.

7. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    ^No I don't. The glowing eyes in my sig are just thanks to Photoshop. :) 

8. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    LOL

9. Ironkorr

Ironkorr Ironkorr Customs

Ebay:
    This is wicked sick, I thought it would have been way better (in ROTF) if they substituted the TWINS with Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. I hate the Twins honestly.

Anyways, awesome job, I'm a fan. I would have used a different head though. Someone with more of a sharper look to them.

10. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very lovely...I must say I admire the attention you put into all the mods. They all come out fantastic and everything ties together nicely. The paint job is awesome.

The pictures don't really do justice to the beauty there. You'll be taking more pictures? I'm eager to see this baby light up as well.

That was kinda brave of you to do that crackling effect. I'd freak out if it was me, but you handled the paint very well! Very unique and I love it.

11. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks guys, I was a little nervous at how the cracked look would come out at first, but the whole idea with this one was to do something completely out of the ordinary. I'm still stumped on how to solve the lighting issue, I wanted the power source to be internal but there just isnt any room for it. I've got a backlog of commission work starting to pile up so if it doesnt sell this round on ebay, I'll have to revisit it later. I need the money, but I wont mind keeping this one for myself that's for sure.