Heavy/Scratch: ROTF Springer WIP!! Yay!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Mar 29, 2009.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    ROTF Springer WIP!! Yay! **4/5/09 Update** MOTORIZED propeller/claws complete!!

Hey folks, a quick update for ya! I wanted to get you a few shots of the newly installed motors for the propeller/claws on 'ol Springer!

Yep, motors! Or as I like to call it : Mech Alive, Radicon style!

Here are some pics showing the motors as I installed the longer shafts. Also size comparison next to a U.S. penny! These things are tiny!

Also I installed a momentary on/off switch in the tail. There are also mini "dip" switches on the engines, which act as bypasses. My intention with the bypasses would be, for example if Springer was in bot mode and wanted only one claw to spin, like a weapon of sorts!

I have also installed LEDs for the eyes (natch)! They work off the same tail switch

I channeled a cavity right through his body for the battery housing. I used a size A-23, small but 12 volts! The motors seem to be very power hungry and I didn't think to time the motors for a battery life span, will do next time around!

I am trying to get a video update together, but I think I lost my drivers when my computer crashed last summer! Bummer!:(  I'll work on it, it'll be easier to understand with a video and narration!

Enjoy the pics gang! I'll get the video going asap!---BH

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey gang! Feels good to get a chance to post some WIP up instead of drooling over everyone else's great stuff!

Here is ROTF Springer made from Incinerator! I know, I know, not exactly pioneering stuff, but I hope at least I put my signature on it! LOL!

The first mod is of course the articulated propeller/claws! Love the way they turned out and I feel they carry the movie style quite nicely!

The head is a FAB Megatron with a facelift! I grafted on an Obi-Wan Kenobi face from a Star Wars X-over TF. The face choice was inspired by Superquad7's ultra cool REV custom! I knew when I saw that face, I wanted to use it somehow!

Last major mod is the tail/backpack! Looks great in split "V" formation on the back! Easy to do really, and the way it splits forms a wedge against the back that keeps it in place without the need for pins or magnets, cool!

Some provisions had to be made to counter the back heaviness, the feet have been altered to push back a bit moving the heel toward the back to give a new center of balance. and I made a new lock for the automorphing cockpit, it tabs in place now leaving the waist free to stay back more, also increasing balance. This trick also allows a bit of waist rotation!

I use this alternate transformation on the arms to make them less ape-like, it also keeps the shoulders in line with the new waist position!

I still have a couple more tricks to do, then he's off to paint booth!

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to give me some feedback! As always Radicons, KEEP ON BASHING! :D ---BH

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

3. big hank

News Credits:
    HaHa!! Great minds and all that! Good lookin' out DW3rd!:thumbs2: 

4. rodimuspwnzor

rodimuspwnzor Nerd-O-tron

Ebay:
    The face is a coll twist for Springer imo. Seem like he was meants to be that 'more experienced but not old' kind of character. You gonna let his beard stand out after painting BH?

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    WOW!

6. big hank

News Credits:

I don't know if the beard will stay, I was definitely looking for a grizzled, veteran of war vibe. Clint Eastwood in TF mode, if you will!:thumbs2: 

7. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Those rotor-claws are seriously inspired. I'm surprised that, by all indications, the movie design team didn't do something similar (but then, that might be too evil looking for good guy).

I usually don't follow the development of customs since they tend to take a lot longer than 2d art (which means I tend to forget to check up on things) but I can't wait to see how this looks fully painted.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

very very cool

9. rodimuspwnzor

rodimuspwnzor Nerd-O-tron

Ebay:
    Heh. "Go ahead Decepti-punk, make my MegaCycle!"

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I gotta say, I don't like prop-claws, as they just make the arms entirely too long, they drag the ground nearly. That's why I modded hidden hands for my Incinerator, to shorten up the arms. Granted I used Alt fists, but you could use movie or bionical hands with the same mod and shorten up his arms, and also make it look more like the movie springer. The Legend version we've seen looks like his arms TF like how I modded my Incinerator. I really like the tail fin mod. I plan to mod mine at some point, but not as wings, just was gonna make 'em fold up. This looks good other than the one personal gripe previously mentioned.

11. RRavage

RRavage MMC follower......

News Credits:
    Im loving those hands, top job sir!

12. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man BH...the stuff you come up with always amazes me bud. You've yet to disappoint me :thumb 

13. big hank

News Credits:
    Funny you mention the "evil" look. He was originally gonna be a Decepticon! Yep, he was actually gonna be my Megatron reborn, waaay before we found out he's gonna be an alien tank! That's why I used FAB Megs head, but I wanted a cranky, more humanoid face to update the look!

Thanks, my man!:thumbs2: 

LOL!!

Yeah, I knew the hands were gonna be a matter of personal taste! I love your mod, real slick with the fold out blades. And apparently you are psychic or Hasbro has been surfing the Radicons site for ideas!:thumb 

You are correct, it sure looks like the Legends Springer has the blades in your position! They utilize the tail fin in the leg TF. So I may try that and your arm mod on my other incinerator to see if I can make a ROTF accurate Voyager Springer!

One of the mods I'm doing that I did not mention prohibits me from doing your arm mod. It was a bit of a
    compromise but I think you'll agree it pays off in the end!

Thanks! They were a pain, but well worth it, IMO! I've since developed an easier way to do them!

Thanks Big Dog!! *hugs*:D 

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  14. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I can't imagine what that would be, since it only impacts the engines of the vehicle. Certainly raising one of my eyebrows.

15. big hank

News Credits:
    Hey folks, a quick update for ya! I wanted to get you a few shots of the newly installed motors for the propeller/claws on 'ol Springer!

Yep, motors! Or as I like to call it : Mech Alive, Radicon style!

Here are some pics showing the motors as I installed the longer shafts. Also size comparison next to a U.S. penny! These things are tiny!

Also I installed a momentary on/off switch in the tail. There are also mini "dip" switches on the engines, which act as bypasses. My intention with the bypasses would be, for example if Springer was in bot mode and wanted only one claw to spin, like a weapon of sorts!

I have also installed LEDs for the eyes (natch)! They work off the same tail switch

I channeled a cavity right through his body for the battery housing. I used a size A-23, small but 12 volts! The motors seem to be very power hungry and I didn't think to time the motors for a battery life span, will do next time around!

I am trying to get a video update together, but I think I lost my drivers when my computer crashed last summer! Bummer!:(  I'll work on it, it'll be easier to understand with a video and narration!

Enjoy the pics gang! I'll get the video going asap!---BH

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    WTF????????

17. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

:jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper:  :jawdropper: 

18. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Heh Heh Heh...miniature motors...something NEW for us to play with...
    Great idea, and great work! I'm currently mucking about with leds in the heads and weapons of a bunch of WIPs, but to think we can put motors in too...
    Love what you're doing; Incinerator is a hugely under-appreciated mold too. I mean, the amount of work they had to do to get the propellors to function in both robot and alt mode on a super articulated toy is amazing, and I'm glad to see you're using it to full advantage!!!

19. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Springer's getting expensive lol

20. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the video, you have really got my attention.