Minor/Repaint: ROTF Soundwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by The Deej, Dec 22, 2009.

1. The Deej

The Deej Well-Known Member

I did this up probably about a month ago. It's probably my best work so far.

Let's see... I used:
    Chrome
    Gold Metallic Flake
    Blue Metallic Flake
    Red Metallic Flake
    Gold
    and Flat Black

I also figured out and duplicated Jin's hip mod for the guy, so he stands about half an inch taller. Then I cut a bit off his wings to give him a bit more show-accuracy and a bit less random-panels-all-over-his-back.

Attached Files:

2. Prime_Time123

Prime_Time123 Member

And that´s...awesome! congrats, good representation of what soundwave looked like in the movie, i´ve never seen the panel´s mod, but it is cool, about the chest mod, which made him taller, i´ve couldn´t see any diference, can you post some photos of him next to another ROTF figures, maybe a normal Soundwave? just for have an idea of his size?

3. The Deej

Thanks for the compliment.

Unfortunately, I sold him off shortly after doing him. I did him up to help get my name out there. So I can't post a picture of him standing with another Soundwave.

The difference is that the legs swivle down to the bottom of his crotchpiece, instead of sitting on the sides. If you look at Hasbro's stock photoes, you'd be able to see.

It gives him about a head's worth of height.

4. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy crap.. If my soundwave looked like that I'd love him much more!

5. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    Great job. I know how tricky this mold is to paint...
    I did 3 different versions so far...[​IMG]

6. luap184

luap184 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    great looking custom!! the colours look really nice ont that guy especially the metallicy blue!!

btw, how do you do the hip mod?

7. The Deej

You're in luck. Jin gave me the goahead to post a tutorial on procustomizers.com, but I don't mind sharing here.

---

What you will need:
    a hobby knife/ x-acto knife. Nail clippers also work.
    Super glue.
    Screwdriver

For starters, disassemble his upper body. There are four screws in the back. Now you disassemble his lower body. There are two screws in the back.

Now pop out the balljointed legs (makes cutting easier). Extend the "swivel hole" down to the open line in the cup piece of the balljoint.
    [​IMG]

What you're aiming for is to get the legs to swivel down farther than they already do. Shave the insides of your new extended hole until the legs swivel down just fine (you have to pop the legs back in to test this).

Once they swivel down like you want, apply a thin layer of glue to the ball on his leg, as you no doubt noticed we just neutered the leg's stability. This should get it back up to standard. If not, apply a second coat.

Now for the crotch piece.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You wanna cut off the parts that would impede the leg swiveling down all the way. The upper spike doesn't actually get in the way, but you may want to remove it if you don't like it there (I didn't). Also cut off the line-peg which pegged into the line we cut to on the balljoint, as that will also get in the way. Pretty much just keep cutting until you get to the central crotch piece, then stop.

Put the balljointed legs on and test it. Make tiny modifications as needed. It should look like this when you're done:
    [​IMG]

And that's it, your Soundwave has now grown a whole head taller.

While you still have your work equiment out, might I suggest modding his wings too?

[​IMG]

Makes him a bit more screen accurate (though the alt mode doesn't look as big). For the side wings, just cut around the balljoint. Nail clippers are seriously your best friend for getting rid of the little pieces of plastic holding them together in the middle.

With both these mods done, not only does your Soundwave stand taller, he is also a lot less kibbly in robot mode.

[​IMG]
    (okay so that picture's missing a few parts; so sue me). If you dislike the shoulder fins, just fold them up and back like in Jin's Soundwave gallery and they magically become awesome shoulder kibble.

And that's it. Hope this helped.

8. OPMEGS1.0

OPMEGS1.0 I Dislike Hotshot's jam!

Ebay:
    wow, NOW it looks more movie-like

9. guillo

guillo Well-Known Member

Sweet piece you made, looks amazing

10. The Deej

Thank you guys for the compliments. Makes me wish I could find another Soundwave to do up for myself...

11. luap184

luap184 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    thanks!!

12. The Deej

I'm glad I could help.

13. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pretty cool man, I'm thinking about revisiting Soundwave soon now.