Minor/Repaint: ROTF: Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dyingwill3rd, Jan 29, 2010.

1. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

When I first got Smokescreen, I didn't know how to repaint him. I was thinking of doing him as a limb-bot for a combiner, then the idea hit me. I'll repaint him in a deco similar to his Reign of Starscream appearance!

With some tips I got from Hotwire, I think my pictures have gotten better.

I've placed Smokescreen in the Medical Division.

Here's his bio:
    After his death by the hands of Starscream, Smokescreen was found by his friend Wheeljack. Wheeljack, being one of the members of the medical division, had a unique system that could reconstruct an autobot by using the remains of their spark. Wheeljack rebuilt all of Arcee's team, with Smokescreen resurrecting. Smokescreen then joined the Medical Division, becoming the Evasions engineer and developer of optical interceptors. He is rank 6 in the division, while 2 of his friends take the position of the 5th seat.

He is a repainted ROTF Smokescreen with his weapon cut to just be a gun rather than a sword. I based him from what i could see in the panels of Reign of Smokescreen.

Don't forget to c&c!

The last 2 pics are just a gag :p 

Attached Files:

2. blazingbullet10

blazingbullet10 Blazingbullet10000

bro i love this

3. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Well, the pics have certainly improved. I'm glad to see you took what I was saying constructively. Good work. Now just tame that flash! You can do this with some Scotch Tape and a piece of tissue. Take the tissue, fold in half and cut to the size of your flash. Then tape in it place with one or two pieces of tape. This will diffuse the light and take the brightness of your pics down a notch.

As for the custom, not too bad. You may want to cover the wheels in tape to keep paint off of them. Also, if you get paint where you don't want it, either cover it with the color it got on, or dip a Q-Tip in some alcohol, ring it out, and rub off the paint. I hope this helps.

4. dyingwill3rd

Thanks for the tips. I'll use them when i take more pictures of other customs. What i did to take this pic was set my camera back to it's original settings, which is why they look clearer now :) 

5. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Try retaking some of your pics. Maybe use a black background to bring that brightness down.

6. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

I suggest never use a flash, just put your custom in a brightly lit area, rather.

Custom-wise, this is definitely an improvement over Wheeljack. The apps are cleaner and the design seems more inspired, imo.

The blue still seems lumped and thick in places, but of course, the flash-photography might influence that interpretation. Still, 'big' surfaces, like carbodies, should really be sprayed on. If you disassemble and/or mask parts, hardly anything can go wrong, as long as you follow the airbrush/spraypaint principles of never stopping half way through, keep distance and spray thin coats.

And if you decide on the spraying, do it outside or crack two windows to create a draft, because I've gotten high on paintfumes more than once!

It's good to see you're taking suggestions serious, and especially good to see it reflects in your work, I hope that this improvement helps you reflect on older projects. Remember, you can only grow.

After all that...I don't like the gold grill hahaha...flat black with a drybrushed gunmetal or tank-grey would look more realistic, imo.

7. dyingwill3rd

Thanks fateastray, but for the grill, I just went with what i saw here from the Reign of Starscream comic:
    [​IMG]