Minor/Repaint: ROTF Skipjack

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Andrew28b, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

A repaint that has taken me at least a month, cause there was soo little pictures of what he looked like. And in the movie, the only real good shots of him were his face and his vehicle mode.

So a straight red repaint with silver drybrushing, yellow for his eyes, yellow for his gears in vehicle mode(supposed to look like crappy yellow apps) and then for the final part, The hand/ elbow mod. I tried using epoxy to hold his new arms in place and that didnt work too good. so i used super glue and that worked well. The decepticon logo on his vehicle modes back is from universe tankor/Octanes chest. it prevents his shovel and back clipping together but with a different way I transform the shovel it doesnt matter.
    I epoxied his legs together and tried making a mase for his legs but didnt work soo I removed the extra epoxie from that.

As always comment and speculate.
    And if it looks a little dark or too bright I dont have enough light.
    Its only a 4 mega pixel camera thats like 8 years old...

Attached Files:

2. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

This is why I dont like posting. no critiques, no comments, no "hey this needs improvement" or "this needs this and that or you missed this and this is showing through the paint."

3. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Relax man, it has only been a couple hours. People have work and lives outside of this board.

It looks good overall, but perhaps a little rushed as a lot of the paint looks caked on rather than smoothly applied over mutliple thin layers. The yellow is a bit over saturated in places and does not fit in with the aesthetic of the rest. In other places, it looks muddled, like you were painting the yellow over black. Perhaps a little bit more orange in the yellow. The metalic parts look good overall and I deffinately like what you did on the treads.

4. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hey there.. No clue who skipjack is to be honest..
    And that could lead to why some people may not check him out.

But sometimes our greatest of works (at least to ourselves) don't get much attention from our peers. But what can you do. Just keep posting and the more interesting things you spit out the more people will go back and look and see what you've done previously.
    But the custom looks pretty good.
    I don't particularly like the scoup part. The silver paint is showing those brush strokes a lot. I stared at it for a little while to see if I could pass it off as "Scratches" to the shovel.. But.. I couldn't.. If you could eliminate some brush strokes on some of it I could let it pass.

Other than that.. It looks pretty good. Just needs a couple of touch-ups with the paint.

5. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

thanks guys. Its been this way for along time. Ive had customs on which no one commented on. It seems if your not a higher up person from the boards, people dont even bother comment. well this technically was my first repaint in a while so its rough looking. the yellow i used was wayyy to bright so i wanted it darkers by painting it on black... I have drastically gotten better at drybrushing as I will show a wip soon of sideways as soon as some areas get retouched.

6. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    lookin good to me =]

(it was called Skipjack in the credits of ROTF)

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Wow. I never knew it was called Skipjack. Great paint job, though, however the yellow gears, they just don't look right for some reason. I think it's because the rest of it is so battle damaged, the yellow just looks too clean. A black wash on those areas would be really helpful, imo, possibly brown as well.

8. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

yeah im gonna wash it and maybe add some scuffs to it. I want to find a cheap one somewhere and do a clean version with a few scratches here and there.

9. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    i havnt bothered to look back at the movie yet, but i think i read someone saying that some parts of "Skipjack" are still yellow.

10. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

only those gears and panels leading to the scoop are.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i thought it was the yellow one that was called skipjack and the red one was really rampage.....

12. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

yeah the movies good for messing us up on whos who. just like demolishors toy is in scavengers colors.

13. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

"Saaaaaooom Whit Whickeeeeee" (Only spoken line from Rampage in Movie)

Love the head paint.

I totally understand your screen accurate paintjob but for the record I don't care for ILM's lousy digital repaint of the D9 cat. The yellow gears and Cylinders look stupid.

14. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

yeah i noticed that his "red" color in the movie is jumpy on the model in vehicle mode.
    The only reason hes red so people could tell him and bumblebee apart.

15. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I can say here is keep working and become one of the higher ups.. :p 
    I'm not very good at what I do, but I love looking at everyone's work. So There are people out there that enjoy seeing your work. I know it can be annoying, but don't let it get you down. If you've got some links to other things hit me up with a PM, I'd love to see it!

16. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

i think if you click on someones name, you kind find out what customs they have made.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    First of all, I'd like to apologize just a bit. Going back through your threads, I found two (2) project threads you've posted that didn't receive any replies. Normally, I'm a little better about this sort of thing, as I try to make sure every thread has at least one post in it, even if it's just mine (which is normally a "good job" sorta thing). One of my top priorities is simply ensuring all threads are healthy. Yours were posted during an extremely busy and trying time for me on a lot of different levels.

That being said . . . .

. . . . patience pays off a lot, most times.

This is good advice. :) 

I also think two of the best things someone can do in Radicons is continually post in others' threads and simply be courteous and friendly to others with the intent of making as many friends as you can.

As far as "higher up" persons go . . . .

. . . . this is a pretty awesome response to that :thumb 

Also, you can go to the Radicons Customs Gallery and do the same thing. :) 

On that note, let's all simply return to the topic at hand - critiques, etc. regarding this project :) 

Keep up the good work :thumb 

18. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

thats why I like your posts supersquad. they are helpful in soo many ways. it was discouraging that some of my customs were always like 200+ views and no comments. Then again this has been a really bad year with family deaths so I can see why i was so antsy to get replies.

THANK YOU ALL.