Minor/Repaint: ROTF: Sideways

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dyingwill3rd, Aug 4, 2009.

1. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

Well here he is!!! When I posted my ROTF Sideswipe the first time, I created a poll to see who people wanted to see me paint next. The highest was Breakaway, which I found on Sunday, but I aslo found Sideways that day. I had a hard time choosing which one to get, due to me wanting the almost all of the ROTF bots and me liking airplanes. But realizing that the Sideways I found was the darker metallic version, I chose him (even though the Breakaway I found was the darker version too.) I realized that his Dark color could work as a good base to paint my usual bright Silver.

I based his car mode paintscheme on Spurt Reynolds Sideways. I was going to add the Audi Symbol, but after realizing how hard it was to do the Stripes, I decided not too.

One picture shows his Painted eyes (Red) under light.

Don't forget to C&C!

Attached Files:

2. dyingwill3rd

Posted his Youtube link: YouTube - Custom ROTF Sideways, Added another pic

3. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Good job. Sideways looks so much better without all that unnecessary red plastic.

4. dyingwill3rd

thanks. I do wonder why why they gave him red plastic in the first place

5. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Nice!

If you still want to add an Audi symbol look for a decal set for a Slot.it Audi R8c 1:32 scale slot car, might be hard to find but they are out there.

Another option is to find the symbol on the net and print it to some waterslide decal paper (ebay) using an inkjet printer.

Hakka.

6. dyingwill3rd

I would do the waterslide option, but not old enough to get the paper. For the model, I'd find it to be a waste of money if I'm just getting the kit to get the stickers. I'll try to see if making the symbols myself with a toothpick or a some other way I can find

7. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I put those door on his arms. You should try it, I think it looks more accurate.

8. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    The drybrushing works pretty well, and your detail painting has definitely improved a lot (the white on the headlights is cleanly executed). Great job. :thumb 

My only gripe would be that the stripes are pretty sloppy, but I can't pull that one off by hand as well. I think that you really need to go the decal route with the stripes and Audi symbol. I think that's what Spurt did as well.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't mind the red plastic. In fact, I kind of like it as it helps break up some of the metallic coloring.

As for this custom, the execution is a little sloppy, namely the hood stripes. If you invest in some painter's tape or create a stencil to help paint straight lines, I think you could improve.

I don't know what else to say. To be frank, it's kind of boring. I actually enjoyed your pre-ROTF customs more because there was much more imagination involved. You've just had this trend lately of painting everything silver. I realize you're trying to make these more movie accurate, but still.

I also realize that you're only 16 and don't have a lot of money and resources at your disposal in comparison to some of the older artists here. So it's going to take a while before you truly elevate your skills.

BTW did F_R ever send you those brushes?

10. dyingwill3rd

Which ones? the ones on his shoulders of the ones on his legs?

Thanks. but yeah, trying to do the stripes was hard. wish I had enough money to get one of those decal sheets

I agree that the hood stripes are sloppy. As for my trend of repainting everything silver, that is due to most of my recent bots I obtain being from the movie line. However, I still have a lot of other bots from other lines, and I hope to repaint some of them soon.

As for your "16 and don't have a lot of money" comment, it is true. I do know that it's going to take a while to elevate my skills. but, do you believe I at least improved?

-The brushes from F_R were never sent to me, due to my parents distrusting people on the internet they do not know personally.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think you've improved in one particular area: the paint doesn't appear as caked on as it used to.

Shame about the brushes, though.

12. dyingwill3rd

haha thanks about thinking I have improved. Maybe if F_R can tell me what brand brushes he was going to send me, maybe I could find them here.

oh yeah, and about the make everything silver for the sake of movie accuracy, when I find the Ice cream Twins and Jolt, a lot more work is gonna be put into them.

13. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

It looks decent, but I've seen that you're improving. You just need more practice.

14. dyingwill3rd

thanks EZ. hey, when are we gonna see your work again? It's been a while

15. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Considering you painted the stripes "freehand" i think they came out really well
    Overall he's a big improvement on the original mold.

I think each piece of work you do shows a marked improvement on the last & if you can continue to improve with limited recources then when you do have access to the finer stuff your work will come on in leaps & bounds.

16. dyingwill3rd

Thanks Spurt :) 

17. dyingwill3rd

1 star? really? looks like i got my first hater :) :( 

18. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

just ignore it. it's probably one of those guys on the forum hating anything to do with the movie verse. but on topic, love the detail work! i painted the roof, hood and trunk of sideways but will never try the stripe thing. and the drybrushing has gotten way more better. cant wait to see whats next.

19. dyingwill3rd

Thanks dude! oh yeah, go to Youtube and check out my 100th subscriber special vid! You'll get a good laugh!

But yeah you're probably right about it being someone who hates the movie verse. He/she should be happy, if I don't find any new ROTF bots, I'll start repainting my Animated figs (starting with Shockwave, Waspinator, etc), but I think I might repaint my Universe Dinobot and Cheetor too.

20. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

is shockwave the purple or the grey one? due to the fact that animated is done and gone i wouldnt repaint one unless you have two or or its just detailing. but yeah cant wait to see more from you.