Minor/Repaint: ROTF Sideways without LEDs: WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LZSchneider, Aug 29, 2009.

1. LZSchneider

LZSchneider Active Member

LED's are for poor people.

Which, in short, means that they are for people with skill. And balls.

Anyway, I now present my custom ROTF Sideways. He was-- Well, I'll let the pictures do the talking. Please note, though, that he still isn't finished for I have to give him a red Audi logo, his APR, silver stripes, and lastly, I'll need to go back and fix any crooked lines, edges, etc.
    Here's the link to the photobucket album, and because I'm not an asshole, here are the images themselves... Below, ffs >.>

As you can see, silver paint is being a pain in the ass for me. I honestly believe that it's because I didn't thin the paint down enough, but I am open to suggestions and tips for future projects to ensure a more smooth paint job. Oddly enough, the black paint came out MUCH smoother than the silver...

Oh, and BTW, I am considering if I should coat with some Testor's semi-gloss... what do you guys think?

Thanks for reading/looking =P

(P.S. Once more, silver paint's a bitch.)

(P.S.S. Yes, this was my first time.)

(p.S.S.S. Yes, I also will take better pictures next time xD)

Attached Files:

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    that bot mode is EXCELLENT!

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, for your first repaint that looks really nice.

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Please attach all pictures per Radicons Standards, or they will be deleted.

5. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

and sideways still has stripes on his doors, you'll need to re-add those again. and the silver looks fine, and the white headlights look good. nice work.

6. newguy

newguy i

Michaels has crome spray paint that is amazing. I loved using brush on silver paint, but now that i used the crome, silver is just not good enough. It's only like 3.99, and lasts for a while. The most i've gotten out of that sized can is 2 voyagers, and 1 deluxe. I highly recomend the crome paint. It's AWESOME!!!!!!

7. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

you're one angry radicon :lol 

8. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I really dig the botmode. Though I'm put off by the painted red windows. Why not leave the windows see through? I could've understand it more if you had blackened the windows.

Are you going for the APR Audi or for movie accuracy?

APR:
    - Red Audi logo (easily done by using the end of a ballpoint ink filler as a stamp)
    - 5 stripes ending in circuitboard pattern (on the roof)

ROTF Sideways:
    - Silver Audi logo
    - 4 stripes not sure if they end in circuitboard pattern

iDD

9. OPMEGS1.0

OPMEGS1.0 I Dislike Hotshot's jam!

Ebay:
    a couple of things to add:

He has 4 lines on his hood all the way to the back, not 3
    There is a part on his back to make the door wings look shorter, hope you find it
    and give him the two buzzsaws

CHEERS!

10. LZSchneider

Thank you. I was going for the APR tuned Audi R8, however.

Hmmm, I'll take note of that, thanks. I have some of Tamiya Color chrome silver, but after effin' up with the silver Testor's paint... Meh =/
    I'm very apprehensive of using it, to say the least.

I'm one of those silly people who like to do things better than n00bish the first time he does 'em.

Eh, whether or not I hit that m00b-above par, I feel, isn't for me to decide =P

Good question. Well, the CGI of his robot mode, I believe, has some red in it, but I wasn't too confident to paint in any red highlights, so instead I thought that paiting the windows would be way less risky. Yeah, please don't ask me how I figured that one out xD

Oh, I also didn't want Sideways to be just another black and silver bot a la Starscream, Megatron, Mixmaster, etc.

I suppose that I could've add some red highlights to his body, but I had the fear of tackifying his alt mode. Ironic, no? Yeah, for my next custom, I'll just leave the windows alone (Even though the red windows in Sideway's bot mode add the right touch. For me, anyway. HUR HUR ITS LIKE FRUITCAKE =D).
    Say what-what? Circuitboard pattern? I must refer to google and check that out, I knew of everything else but this circuit board pattern you speak of...

Hm, yeah, I was definitely going for the APR tuned Audi R8, but the red windows really shout Transformers Go-Bots to me, so I'm probably just gonna go with the 5 stripes ending at the rear window and the Audi logo =P

A circuit board pattern seems waaay too difficult.

Say what, now? Why would I want his door wings to look shorter? Either way, what is this treasure that you speak of, good sir? For you see, I obviously have no map =/

Hmmm, perhaps. I have a crap load of Zoids and Bionicle toys so I think I'd be able to find something.

Thanks to you all! But uh... No one has any tips to prevent crap paint jobs? Is it that I just needed to thin down the silver a bit more? Also, should I risk tackying up his paint job even more with some acrylic smei-gloss? Thanks, once more! =D

11. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    Nice custom, but one thing bugs me, why the red windows?? Also everyone seems to have jumped on the red Audi logo bandwagon. In fact, in the movie, the logo wasn't red, it was the normal silver color.

12. LZSchneider

Ah, I see. So Sideways wasn't an APR tuned Audi R8 in the movie, and in fact just looks like one, eh? Well sir, I believe that's why everyone makes the logo red...

And about the windows... It seemed like a good idea at the time :0
    Sucks if they totally ruin the thing =/

Edit:
    I've taken immensely better shots here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Light tents are for poor people.

And for those who can afford them.

Oxymoron, I know. Anyway, there's that.