Minor/Repaint: ROTF Sideswipe and Custom Gun

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LZSchneider, Oct 1, 2009.

1. LZSchneider

LZSchneider Active Member

Aside from stating that I'm one of those crazy people that likes to conserve paint at all costs (Hey, I'm not cheap, I'm broke), and that Sideswipe paint rubs like a bitch, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original toy.

C'mon, lay it on me, comments please? This is my second repaint, and I'm really liking how it came out all shiny and whatnot (I'm still not brave enough to touch his face =S)

Attached Files:

2. Bumblebee92

Bumblebee92 Wheeljack Fan

cool what was the gun made of

3. LZSchneider

Thanks.
    It's the gun that rides the back of the Zoids Brachiosaur.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good for your second. And being broke isn't a bad thing, makes ya think outside the box :lol 

5. LZSchneider

Thanks a lot.
    I took that gun from that Zoids model kit, painted it, and then cut off a piece of a pen ink tube to use as a wedge to keep the weapon in place and BOOM!

I'm calling it a custom weapon.

Ha, yeeaah =P

6. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

awesome. Now he just needs one more and he'll look almost exactly like his video game self.

7. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    That gun fits in very well :)  Nice paint touch ups too, but now the head looks out of place being unpainted. You've gotta paint it too man. :thumb 

8. LZSchneider

Thanks.
    Mkaaaaaaaaaaay, perhaps I will. I want his face to be black and perhaps drybrushed a tad with chrome, but...

Eh, I actually don't know why their tiny little Transformer faces bother me so much o_0 Yeah, if I ever get around to painting his face, I'll definitely update.

Oh, and I must ask, I either just have bad luck or I've missed something in Repaint 101, but I can't get any paint, other than black, to apply smoothly. I water the paints down a tad, but it just seems not to work. Anyone have any suggestions? They'll be highly welcomed ._.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  9. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    VERY solid paintjob. It would've been nice if you blackwashed the face to bring out the detail, but the body parts are good :) 

That gun......I must have one.... D:

10. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Use Pledge with Future Floor Polish. It's a floor polish but it's acrylic so you can thin down paints with it. Also, since it's a floor polish it'll give your figure a really nice clearcoat, and it'll also act as a sealer, so your paints don't rub or get scratched. Google "Swanny the Complete Future" and you'll learn everything you need to know.

As for smooth paintjob, thin down your paint and do multiple thin coats of it, and if you really want the paintjob to look as good and smooth as actual cars, wet sand it.

Let the parts dry for at least 3 days or more.
    You will need 1000 grit sandpaper, this is called "wet sanding".
    Get the 1000 g. paper soaking wet with water and keep it wet, you want to sand the parts evenly but you do not want to sand through the paint(or primer!) so it's better to think of it as "scuffing the paint" not sanding, use very little effort.
    Once you have scuffed the paint evenly it will have a dull flat look to it.
    Give the parts a rinse and let them dry thoroughly.
    You can even repeat this process for an even smoother paint finish.
    The sky is the limit, you can even buy a polishing kit that scuffs the paint and polishes in a step by step process with different grit pads.(ask your hobby shop)

Hope I helped :) 

11. LZSchneider

Wow, thanks, so much information in one post, I like that. Hm, I'll definitely try that on my next repaint, for I find that towards the end of these repaints that I grow sick of whoever I'm painting =P

Once more, thanks a lot, and until I get around to painting his face (Which will be soon), try to enjoy this badly edited photo xD:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No problem.

I remember when I was trying to find out stuff about painting I didn't know and people didn't answer I got frustrated, so I thought to myself "Why should I let him go through what I did?" and therefore, my post was born :D 

13. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

you gotta share how you made that gun, it really is great

14. LZSchneider

Well, good sir, I mean not to be short or rude or a general asshole, but it's really this simple:

1. Locate one of these (Honestly, I wish you the best of luck finding one, for I got one when I was 12).
    2. Take off the gun from it's back.
    3. Paint it as you like.
    4. Find a pen's ink tube, and chop off a small section of it. The length really doesn't matter, so long as it can stretch from the bottom of Sideswipe's hand to it's middle (Make sure he's in robotomical position)
    5. Place and position the gun over Sideswipe's hand as you like.
    6. Wedge the piece of the ink tube between Sideswipe's fingers from the bottom of his hand until it reaches to the other side, or until the other end rests in his robo-palm.
    7. Flip around his BLADES OF TERROR and enjoy his new ability to stab n' shoot "Deceptipunks" to death. For added bonus points, place the gun assembly on his left hand like it were his firearm in the big desert fight in ROTF.

15. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    someone notices he uses a gun! :rock 

in all seriousness, awesome custom.

16. Ejicon

Ejicon Well-Known Member

Nicely done.