ROTF Sideswipe & 07 Bumblebee BOOTLEGS Comparison Shopping Guide

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GenZhao, Oct 20, 2009.

1. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    This is purely for your protection. I will not stock any.

KO Bootleg ROTF Sideswipes and 07 Bumblebees have began to circulate throughout china. They are sold for around the same price as the original and have the ability to easily be passed off as original.

I have bought these specifically to let people know about them and protect those from being ripped off. I hope this guide helps identify some people passing these off as real. KOs should be sold AS KOs. eBay police, i hope this helps you guys out. Please circulate this info and pass it on to other sellers, retailers, collectors, consumers, and would be consumers or retailers.

I have in package photos of the Black version of Bumblebee and can take him out of the package if someone else has a real black on and is willing to take the same angle shots of their legit one for a comparison guide.

As for sideswipe I have one MOSC and one loose, so i have done a thorough investigation of the actual Sideswipe, but not of the package itself. If someone has a legit package that they know is legit (bought from a MAJOR Store like Walmart or TRU) then we can also compare out photos, just let me know (contact me by email at contact@kotoys.com)

OK to the comparison

The major differences seen on the KO:

Slightly brighter silver paint
    Less Translucent Blue Windows
    The wheels are a darker black

The Dark Blue metallic painted areas are glossy (where as the KO is matt/flatt)
    There is a circle on the left legs thigh (center)
    some details are slightly off (the spokes are sharper on the KO and not as round, etc)

Picture 1

The KO in its alternate Car Mode
    [​IMG]

KO on the right, Legit on the Left
    [​IMG]

Notice that it is more difficult to see through the windows on the KO
    [​IMG]

The center of the Rims is Less Defined, not as sharp. The wheels are also darker on the KO but it is hard to see in the lighting of the photo.
    [​IMG]

You can see a slight difference in plastic color, which in hand is barely noticeable, but unlike the black, the lighting really brings out the difference. (win some loose some...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detailing on the KOs arms are not as sharp and defined in the spoke area and it has biger and bulkier balls instead of the more separated sharper details
    [​IMG]

The KO Package
    [​IMG]

The Back of the KO Package
    [​IMG]

The Bottom of the KO Package
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The KO in Robot Mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KO Stealth Bumblebee (there is also the Premium version of BB)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KO Sideswipe Bot Mode on the Left, Legit Hasbro Sideswipe Bot Mode on the Right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow...your amazing!!! thanks......they sure did make a good looking KO though :) 

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I don't understand the logic in KOing an easily available toy and making it look exactly the same, but hey.

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I don't understand the logic in KOing an easily available toy and making it look exactly the same, but hey.

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What a convincing KO, I wouldn't have known the difference on the spot. Thanks!

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    What's the plastic quality? Thanks for the heads up!

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    thanks for the info GenZhao.

8. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

It sure is hard to tell the difference for this KO even w/ the pics.

9. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. And its Sideswipe, one of the first figures that came out, and most everyone who wants one probably has gotten it by now. I'm all for Hasbro doing something about the idiots making these....

10. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    How can you be sure these are KO? Seems to me that most of the differences could be attributed to mold wear.

11. LoneAndorian

LoneAndorian Enthusiastic Choir Boy

But looking at some of the pics closely, you can see other signs, such as the use of screws in certain places on the KO, instead of the the flat pin fasteners that are used on the Hasbro version. Still, those are damned close to one another...

12. DaveKyzer

DaveKyzer Well-Known Member

dude probably knows it didn't come from Hasbro or Takara by store or area of purchase alone.

13. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very diicicult to see, are you sure this isn't some kidn of factory reject that often circulated in China market?

14. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

considering his ties to KOTOYS.COM which specializes in KO toys, and his uncanny knack for obtaining KOs as soon as they are available (if not before) along with his long history of posting comparative pics of KO toys for TFW readers to take a peek at, i'd hazard a guess that he knows it's a KO. ;) 

15. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    That's odd, I can't remember another time where a KO tried to look EXACTLY like the original w/ packaging except for G1 KOs

16. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    The logic would be to get them into worldwide retail, more so smaller stores, using their own and also using hasbro agents by selling them cases of the toys to resell unsuspectingly

its not really odd, in 07/08 they did bootlegs of a couple of target exclusives. its just business, and its an easy way to tap into an existing market

Yeah your right, Thanks Ryan :) 
    Yes it is a KO, the seller states its a KO, I also met the person 3 weeks ago who showed me one and said they are making them. The differences are big enough in the loss of detail to prove its a KO just from sight IMO

yea im sure, I dont go posting red repaints in the news section pretending they are real or play games on here. I come and I speak the truth. Real Deal 100%

True, most people with a TRU or Walmart near them has these already, but what about markets that do not have a TRU or Walmart every 10 miles?

What about poorer countries like Brazil, Peurto Rico, Mexico, the rest of ASIA, where the market is not so saturated and these toys are hard to come by. There are many unsuspecting markets that could potentially get flooded with these through agents of all sorts. The possibilities also include other smaller chains such as sunrise ordering smaller restocks from agents and receiving these instead of the real deal... trust me on that one

It's too bad every buyer doesnt post their haul in the new haul thread, im sure if they did one of these would turn up sooner or later... Should be easy to spot with the takara markings on the package if they are still there. Might be odd to show up in a small retail chain, but it could happen, stranger imports and restocks have happened im sure

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yikes, so KOs may even make it into official Hasbro channels? That's mind boggling.

I agree that there are large areas of the world not reached by Hasbro. For all those kids out there it's certainly better than nothing. Even over here, Transformers can be hard to come by if you don't have access to the bigger stores. Hasbro don't seem to supply the smaller retailers.

18. startah

startah Well-Known Member

well Here in my country KO ROTF The Fallen, Dune Runner, Devastators are abundant there almost exact replica of the originals ones! not surprise at all!

19. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    do you have pics of the KO Fallen? and comparisons with a real one?

20. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    @GenZhao: I'm not trying to offend you, really :p  bad Knock Off I can understand, but one that look exactly like the original, even adding the Takara TOmy stickers on front? That's just scary and it's 80% possible it'll turn up here :( 

There's a store that sells loose TF figures here, they also have Fallen and burning Fallen, I don't think these are KOs, but seeeing this one made me worried