ROTF Scalpel Legs and Balljoint issues. Autovolt needs fixing to do.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Alright so we all know how bad the ROTF Scalpel QC is. The Legs are the biggest problems. The Damn toy can't stand up for crap. One of the legs is so loose and worst of all two of the six sockets that the legs that he ball joints connect two cracked.

How do i fix Scalpel and his bad QC issues. Should i superglue his legs into the ball joint sockets or replace Scalpel as you know i'm trying to save up for TFCon 2011. What do i do guys?

I want to love Scalpel he's like my favourite new charecter in ROTF

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Nail polish those ball joints.

3. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I don't think Nail Polish will just do it. The Ball sockets are cracked.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Nail polish won't work. I tried it on mine but because the sockets are actually cracked, the legs stay loose.

5. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I don't know how much replacing him will help. I got one back when he first came out and three of the sockets were broke right out of the package. Much later I bought another and it was pretty solid. He's been chillin on top of my desk in Microscope mode for like two months now. I took him down the other day, and what do you know, one of the sockets is cracked. He was in perfect condition when I put him up there, and has not been touched or even moved. So I guess I'd say just try the super glue.

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Scalpel broke too. He's in some rubbish dump far away now.

Throughout my entire history of buying Transformers, from a kid until now, ROTF Scalpel is the only toy to have broken on me. Such a shame.

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    it's that crappy mushy purple plastic they used...too soft for joints.

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I had the same problem. I ended up buying a second one when one of the big box stores had scout class figs on sale. The second one is perfect but I kept my broken one for parts incase the new one breaks down the road.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Tried about four times to get one which wasn't broken right out of the package with no success. I gave up for a long time. In the end I just bought one that didn't rattle and I've kept him MOSC.

Seems a pity that out of all the ROTF molds that got repaints Scalpel didn't. But then perhaps all the returns of him I'm sure there were caused Hasbro to think people didn't like the figure.

As for repairs, I don't think there's much that can be done. You could possibly cut a small piece of flexible plastic sheet (tarpaulin or something) and glue it inside the socket to span the crack and keep it from separating completely. The added thickness it would provide inside the socket might even help the loose joints as well.
    Really though it just needed better materials for the job and not to have been packed on the card in such a way that it stresses the sockets.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some gap-filling superglue should do the trick, but I can't guarantee it will hold it indefinitely.

11. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Use superglue with baking soda:

Tech Tips - Good to Know About Superglue

For Scalpel's joint crack, I carefully levered the crack open and applied a fair amount of baking soda. You then drip a very small amount of superglue in. Sand down as needed.

The superglue-baking soda trick is a great one for all plastic damage. Particularly when you actually lose a small chip of plastic, the baking soda can literally fill in the missing spot.

12. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    My Scalpel had 3 cracked joints right out of the box too. I've tried 2 types of super-glue to no avail. They re-crack as soon as I carefully re-insert the legs.

I haven't tried the baking soda thing yet, but I think my next approach is Mighty Putty.

13. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    Dude i've never herd of the super glue/baking soda trick before. I might just try it.

Thanks for this brand new and unique suggestion. :thumb 

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I need to try this. My Scalpel only has one cracked leg socket, but it's gotten to the point where he simply can not stand at all anymore, loose leg or not. It's driving me crazy because the only thing I've found to keep him standing is some old Armada Red Alert figure from a Happy Meal.

Then again, all Scalpel is good for is display, since he's got such little poseability where it counts.

15. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

FYI, the wiki entry for superglue has more info on using baking soda. I've filled up to 1/2 inch pieces of missing plastic using this technique. You just have to do it in layers.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    With my Scalpel all the joints got loose and it would not stand anymore. Mines had 4 cracks on it that the legs would not stay on the toy anymore. I tossed it!! Worse transformer I've ever bought. Supaglue dat chit!!!