ROTF Scalpel & Dune Runner

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by AllSpark Ferret, Jun 27, 2009.

1. AllSpark Ferret

AllSpark Ferret hANDYman

News Credits:
    My Scalpel and Dune Runner arrived from the excellent Kapow Toys today.

SCALPEL
    Quite an unusual TransFormer. The second only microscope mold and one of the most bizarre robot modes. Scalpel has a very complex transformation for a basic and it doesn't help that he comes very mistransformed in the package. Mine also had his antenna on back to front. It took me a while to spot this and I couldn't work out why the two body halves wouldn't snap together. I've no idea whether he looks like a real electron microscope and all you can do in this mode is move the lens piece up and down and tilt the angle of it.

Robot mode is very strange. Each leg has two ball joints although the ones joining the legs to the body have a limted range so there isn't much opportunity for posing the legs. The tiny arms have ball joint shoulders and hinge elbows although there's not much you can do with them. The goggle-eyed head can be tiled back and forward and it's possible to move the mouth-part a little. The colours don't really work for me, making it a little toy like unlike the actual film version which is silver. The metalic purple circuit patterns look odd as well but I suspect this was done to give it colours that would appeal to kids.

Overall, Scalpel is really odd looking but works as a stand alone toy. If you put him next to other ROTF figures he just looks out of place as a giant, insectoid robot that has nothing in common with the designs of the other toys. In robot mode he looks more at home with Zoids. His design may have looked better with other toys if it was minicon size although I doubt they could have pulled off his transformation at that size.

DUNE RUNNER
    He's a nice looking military vehicle basic. In vehicle mode he's very much a smaller version of Movie Landmine. You can roll him on his wheels and the two back mounted guns can lift up and be positioned as well as tilt to the sides a bit. He's fairly solid in vehicle mode but the side pieces that become the arms don't clip or peg into anything at the front of the vehicle and so at one side the panel sticks out a bit rather than being flush with the rest of the vehicle (on mine at least.)

Robot mode isn't bad but the squarish torso, large head, short legs and long arms make him look quite squat. The big head wouldn't look out of place on a deluxe. Robot mode reveals some light blue (not quite baby blue), mainly on the arms. It looks quite out of place and clashes with the other colours a bit just as the light blue on Breakaway does. Again I suspect it's to appeal to the kids. The feet are very like Universe Hound and are quite gappy from the back. There are hinge knees and ball joint thighs although the very short upper legs restrict the leg posing a bit. The head's on a ball joint. The shoulders are on ball joints but the socket is at an unusual angle for transformation reasons and with the gun kibble on the shoulders it limits movement to mainly forward and back with just a little wiggle outwards. The forearms are really short and are hinged. There's a second hinge further up the arm, for transformation which only moves backwards. Unfortunately it's a much looser joint than the elbow which means when you try to straighten the arm, it's this joint that tends to move, rather than the elbow. He also has a waste swivel.

Overall a decent basic but maybe not quite in the same league as Ransack or Dirt Boss.

Ferret

2. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Great in-depth review. That said...

pics without useless is thread this.

3. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aren't there threads for both of these guys anyway?

That aside, good reviews.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Nah, there's one for Dune Runner. Outside of the video review thread for him, the only other thread for Scalpel is one showing how to properly transform him.

And that said, finally finally got this guy (had to pass up Mixmaster, swinging for an $8 transformer is easier than swinging for a $22 transformer, but I've no qualms with the purchase anyways).

Of all the scout class figures the one that intrigued me most, and mostly due to his bio and then furthered upon his actually being in the film, Scalpel was most definitely the one I had to pick up. I could go without any of the others in the size class, but I had to get this guy. And damn am I glad I did.

His alternate mode is a microscope, it's not functional, but the viewing aparatus (sp?) does move up and down and rotate around, so it's not like it doesn't do ANYTHING. It looks alright, decent colorscheme, and again it looks ok. I mean not too much to say about it..it's a microscope.

Transformation is nothing too complicated, but for a scout its got a good few steps to it, more than some deluxes even (Scorponok, looking at you). It actually does have a couple little frustrating bits, when I first transformed him to robot mode (this does come packaged..halfway between robot and alternate mode, I took him to alt mode before going to robot) such as getting the bar the microscope moves up and down on to peg into place under the main body, between the sets of legs.

Robot mode is really cool, IMO. Very nice, very insectoid design. Getting him to stand, depending on how you do his legs can be a bit tricky as they are quite thin, and have to support a good deal of weight and I do worry that they could get rather loose because of this (please Primus, prove me wrong). Articulation is alright, his head can move a little (up and down). His arms are on a limited ball joint, but the hinge joint they are on at the shoulder does allow for a bit more movement, and his upper arms are hinged. His legs have a ball joint where they connect at the top of his leg, but it's very limited and will pop off rather easily, and his lower legs/feet are also balljointed. But really I don't see much posability to him, especially as far as his legs go, would make standing him way too difficult. He does have light piping for his eyes though, which looks pretty good. He's fairly screen accurate, at least as far as he can be design wise (only other way to get him more accurate would be either as a robot replica or maybe a larger scale), though I think in the movie Ze Doctor is more of a silver than a white and black.

All in all though, I picked this guy up expecting to really like him, and I really really like him. He's just a really cool design, love the decepticon medic concept, plus he's an on screen character. Definitely worth getting, maybe even over all the other scouts, which I may or may not pick up a few others of.

5. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    Just got Dune Runner today and I must say, this little guy is one of the best figures of the entire ROTF line. This thing has more detail and paint apps than most of the deluxe, voyager and leader class figures of the same line. The scout size really is proving it's worth to me.

6. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    :useless 

7. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Is the light blue on Dune Runner the same color as on Breakaway, or is just out of place in the same way?

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'll see about getting some of Scalpel/Ze Dokter tomorrow.

9. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scalpel really is an amazing TFer, reminds me of the Real Gear line from the first Movie, but a lot more involved. Like the OP said, it comes half-transformed AND mistransformed out of the package, and thanks to the AMAZING directions, it took me longer to TF than Mixmaster.

That said, this really is a charming bot, just because of how atypical it is to an actual Transformer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I expected a little bit more from both of them, but they aren't bad toys at all.

I really wish Scalpel's crab legs were a little more articulated, but they hold the toys weight pretty well so I suppose it's not all that necessary.

Dune Runner will definitely be displayed next to Landmind from the first movie!

11. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I like the setup for the chest pieces, thats how I've transformed mine as well. Scalpel is pretty awesome overall, a neat little guy. It took me some time to grow to want him, but I love him now

12. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I picked up these two guys after seeing the film.
    The only reason I got Scalpel was because I really liked "the Doctor" from the movie. Probably my favorite new character from the whole film.
    The figure is a bit fiddly, but neat.

As for Dune runner, he is a really cool little scout. I'd say everyone should pick this little guy up. He's simple, but also a lot cooler then you might think. Great little figure.

13. KowBot

KowBot Well-Known Member

Anyone else getting a Beachcomber vibe from Dunerunner?

14. Reigner

Reigner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No I get an Autobot Hound vibe from him. He's such an obvious homage IMHO.

15. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    Just got Dune Runner yesterday when I hate to be empty handed walking out a store.
    I think Beachcomber is indeed the one !!

btw, I wished Dune Runner 's front windshield 'd have been able to folded into the chest. The head sculpt looks so much nicer than TFTM1 Landmine's.

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Looking forward to Dune Runner. Looks like Landmine will have someone to play with.

17. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Thoughts on ROTF Scalpel?

So i was shopping today, and just happened to run across a ROTF Scalpel for a buck?!? I thought, "Wow, not bad?" So i got home, ripped him open, and got to looking at him. Its a really neat concept and all, and i like how much bigger he get in his robot mode, its overall neat. But the quality is cheap, paints not that great. And man, his antennas come off easy, his arms do as well, his legs are really thin, easy to break, and so on. So, i know i'm bitching, so i will stop. But, those who have him. What did you think overall? I would give him a 5/10.

18. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    You bought him for a dollar and are not happy? personally he is the only scout I like. The rest are too simple and lame.

19. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    8/10 min is stiff,....nothing has fallen off...but for a buck i would say thats a great deal and it could have fire damage and still be worth more to me........since he was only a buck, you could try fixing him ....if you mess it up....no loss

20. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I caved on Scalpel a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. Mine doesn't have any QC issues, so I lucked out there...

Normally I'd give a figure like this (relatively average) no more than a 7/10. With Scalpel, however, I have to give it at least a 9/10. I'm bound by some kind of spell or something. I can say for sure the figure is entirely average, but I like it significantly more than an average figure.