ROTF Release date moved up to June 24th

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Number1sikko, Feb 12, 2009.

1. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    No fair! Before it was a day before my birthday!

2. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    the 26th of June is my brother's birthday and he was excited about this movie coming out then, but now he is happier with it coming out earlier :p 

3. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    June 26th IS my birthday. I liked that release date better. :p 

-airfox

4. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Whats up with Bay and co moving release date? They did the same thing with first movie -_-'

5. bonafide1498

bonafide1498 Cavatron shall reign!

Ebay:
    Sweet!

6. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I'll be tired that next day at work, but it'll be SO worth it!

7. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably to coincide with the European movie release day of the week, who happens to be wednesday.
    Does that means a worldwide release?

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Movies get moved up a good deal in the summer time because teens and kids are a big part of the summer revenue and both groups are traditionally out of school during the summer months in the US. Isn't like Transformers is the only film to move up it's release date to take advantage of this.

9. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

Studios use the mid-week release to try to build hype for the weekend, instead of using the sneak preview (Wed releases get added to the week's release $ totals, while sneak previews don't). Now, this can be a double-edged sword, mind you... hype isn't always positive.

10. Th3 Fall3n

Th3 Fall3n Unicrons First Apprentice

ITS B-DAY....really it is!

im super excited happy b-day to me its come out on my birth day my 21st bday....yeah gonna get drunk :drunk  and watch that movie twince eat..and drink sum more! then ill prolly barf anf forget i ever saw it.... :( 

11. Zaraxion1021

Zaraxion1021 Cybertronian Monarch

:bay  :bay  :bay  Woohoo!! 2 days earlier!! I so can't wait for this...

12. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I know I'm late. I just notice the movie is coming earlier. Sweet! That's the Feast of St. John the Baptist!

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few reasons that studios do mid-week releases. Most of the time, it's due to holidays falling sometime that week- Christmas, July 4th, and Thanksgiving often have mid week releases associated with them. Secondly, there's the studios that bump a release 2 days or so to attract a little interest away from a much bigger movie opening that Friday. For example, if Big Guns Ablazin' is releaseing on a Friday, you might want to move your movie up a couple days to get a little extra attention and revenue.

Finally, and this is the case with TF, there's the 'fanbase' reason. Yes, us, and the thousands of big movie fans who will see this movie opening day, whether it's Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, or what. Getting nice strong numbers on a Wednesday opening looks good, plus some of those fans will now not come to the Friday through Sunday shows, leaving those seats available for the more casual moviegoer who only shows up to the movies once a month or so. If seats are sold out to TF:ROTF, that person goes to see something else, and might just wait for the DVD for their first choice. Losing this casual business can hurt long-term grosses, so getting some of the fanboy viewers in before the first weekend means the studio makes more money, as a greater number of people will have the chance to see the film during its (long) opening weekend. Plus, studios take the highest percentage of box office gross the first two weekends, while the individual theatres' make a bigger profit the longer a film plays. Naturally, the studios want to maximize their revenue on a movie like this. Since a Wednesday release will not hurt Friday's receipts, they get more profit. Theatre chains also don't mind, as it brings them more money than the average Wednesday as well.