Minor/Repaint: ROTF Recon Ironhide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Finally got around to finishing this one. The first order of business was to remove the stripes, and that took quite some time (at least the paint apps are good quality). Next came the weapons (in hammered steel or silver leaf for the knives). Then came the detailing, or redetailing (stripping the blue trim off the front and redoing it in silver). Had to strip the black paint off the roof completely after some mishaps with the silver leaf paint applications to the utility bars. (quite the pain) But otherwise, it was fun getting this guy all spruced up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The truck is pretty basic. With the silver camo stripes removed, he's back to his simple black look. Although the silver bars and weapons (and front bumper) help break him up a bit. Granted, I wasn't going for "stealth" Ironhide--I just didn't like the stripes like most people.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Details upclose, and first look at the steel guns. I also painted the armored window screens in gun metal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some weaponless shots.

So, on to the robot mode. The first thing I'm really proud of is how his head came out. Making it that awful brown in the first place was such a bad move--it really threw the character off. I was glad that the eyes were actually part of the back half of the head sticking through the front half's sockets. But mostly, I'm real happy with the worn-metal look I was able to give him, most specifically on his crown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Weaponless first.

[​IMG]

Then, some added. I went and did a bunch of combos using the first movie Ironhide's cannons and the new ones (all painted in hammered steel). Yes, he's wearing his new right cannon on his left arm. It fits!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the last shot, you'll notice that the 'slide' parts for the cannon's missiles blocked a portion of the gun while I was painting. I'll have to go back and fix that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close-ups of the worn metal robot parts. Love the effect.

[​IMG]

Painted the hands in black and steel as well (originally brown). Also did some slight detailing on the back panels. Not much, but it works.

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot with everything in place. Those rear/side guardrails tend to stay put relatively decently without the screws. I like being able to remove them for his robot mode if need be.

[​IMG]

Group shot!

I've also got some better head shots to show off the paint apps. Black with dry-brushed gun metal, sealed with Pledge Future (which gives it enough of a shine to look metallic).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm afraid to touch it up in any way for fear of ruining something and having to strip the paint and starting over. I don't think I could get the effect I got here the same way if I tried it again.

So, there he is! I'd already done the robot gun metal treatment to my old first-movie version, but I think with everything combined this looks much better. Now, if only I could get a set of his N.E.S.T. guns, he'd have a complete arsenal. :D 

Attached Files:

2. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

That's amazing! would be awesome if you painted up the deluxe ratchet!

3. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Great work there Pun-3X! I dig it :thumb 

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Oh yeah, Ratchet's next. :) 

6. bwheeler0018

bwheeler0018 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice... What did you use to get the Silver lines off?

7. perceptowave

perceptowave Shop-N-Chop-Detailer

Ironhide looks great!! Everything that you have done gives him the "look" he should have.
    Nice work!

8. Bumblebee92

Bumblebee92 Wheeljack Fan

You sir have made a awsome figure even better you shoul be very proud of this.This is just outstanding

9. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Glad you guys like him. It's funny what a difference this new head makes. And then the armored look just works so much better for him as a character. I'm really happy with him. :) 

91% isopropyl alcohol. And lots of elbow grease. This definitely took me a while to strip the paint stripes off. But it's definitely worth it.

10. bwheeler0018

bwheeler0018 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok cool... ill have to try that. thanks