Minor/Repaint: ROTF Ravage, take two

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

So, I went back and did some added colors to him, mostly gold and dark metal touch-ups. I found that I really prefer him in the mostly one-tone, but he definitely benefited from the newly painted bits. Only place I really couldn't make work to my liking were the gears in his shoulders/front legs. I tried a couple of different touch-up ideas, and I wiped down and repainted each time. So, for now, they're getting left alone. Everything else worked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That steel really does look good on him.

[​IMG]

So, first thing you can see is the gold in his hind legs, as well as the darker panels in the lower legs

[​IMG]

Also painted the piston in his neck. (still love how those spikes turned out)

[​IMG]

Better shot at the back leg. The gold is reflecting in this shot--that's not excess paint.

[​IMG]

Little details on some of the components here and there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a better look at his lower legs. The differences aren't all that great on camera, but to make it darker paint just for the sake of pictures tends to be TOO dark for what I want sitting on my desk or on my shelf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back leg hydraulic and cable/wire detail. Same on the cannons, along with some darker fins and segments to break the guns up a bit. Also darkened the 'pits' where some of these cables are. Really helps bring the details out.

[​IMG]

I painted dark metallic into the grooves between the plates behind his head and into his ribs. Same effect in between the panels forward of his hips.

[​IMG]

To break him up a bit more, I painted the entire tail in the same dark metallic. The tip is left steel. Kinda hard to see in this image (I might try a day shot and see if it shows up better)

[​IMG]

And the light steel Decepticon symbol. (Reprolabels)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some final poses to round out the new images. I know the mostly one-tone isn't so popular, but I like him this way. He's very impressive to the eye, and much better than he was out of package.

EDIT : Added new daylight pictures, showing the darker details better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is one of the most badass custom ravages I have ever seen. Awesome work bro!

3. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the monotone look as well, A+. One suggestion, you could throw a small amount of Tamiya Gun Metal in the mix on his legs and body. Its a not as dark, more like a medium grey, used sparingly and strategically it could give this guy some contrast that would really make him pop.

4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Funny you should say it--that's the exact stuff I used for the dark metal. Maybe I used it too lightly on the legs, though I don't want to make it too thick either. As I said, though, to the naked eye the subtle differences really work well.

5. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Added some daylight pictures--you can see the dark segments on the legs much easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the tail.

[​IMG]

6. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Lookin' very good indeed. I'd suggest going over the gears and other recessed areas (in between the armor plates) with a wash to bring out the details better. All that silver kinda washes out the molded detail a little.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like what you've done to Ravage here. Your work continues to inspire :thumb