Minor/Repaint: ROTF Ravage Finished!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cody2003, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That tail really makes this figure. Well done!

3. altezen

altezen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice. I like the tail....Best tail.

4. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :bowdown:  Awesome, I really like the tail and the light up eye!! The articulated neck is also very cool, one question I have though, after removing the 'gimmick' in the neck is the lower jaw still secure or does it need something to stablize it? I've noticed on my Ravage that when the mouth is open the lower jaw is quite floppy!

5. Cody2003

I was lucky enough to have that problem fixed for me. lol. The ball-socket I used ended up being right behind/above the back of the jaw. All I had to do was shave down the lever bump on the back of the jaw to clear, and it stays nice and tight with friction against the socket. On the ears I used a trick one of my art profs showed me. A kneadable eraser used for drawing never really dries out and makes a good friction surface. It just stays semi-gunky. I just spread a very small amount of that stuff beneath the pin on the ears and let it be the friction surface to hold against. Works like a charm.

6. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent, cheers for that, I will have to try and recreate what you've done!! I'm not at the level to be able to sculpt my own tail so will have to stick with Hasbro's for now, but definately want to recreate what you've done with the head!!

Again excellent work!!

7. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is sexy man...

How is your success rate in casting? Is it difficult to get that perfect finish?
    I wonder if we can cast out a jointed neck too..

8. Cody2003

really I havn't had a problem with bad casts so far because of air bubbles, or bad pours, etc with the two part mold. The one part never really worked well due to air bubbles that I just couldn't get out. The two part mold worked perfectly. In fact the only parts I've had to toss out are due to problems with the casting plastic. A couple of times I couldn't get it to set up right. (in fact I just had to toss a set of exhaust pipes for my ironhide because the plastic was all rubbery and gummy). I also had one segment break on me because there was an air bubble right at the neck of the ball joint.

Basically I would say mold success rate is 100%, Part quality rate 90%, resin setup quality rate 70%.

I cast about 20 segments all together. 6 or so of those from the first mold (tips missing because of air bubbles) and the rest from the two part. Of those I only tossed out 3. One broken, two bad resin.

Hope that explains it.

9. Roadtrack

Roadtrack Well-Known Member

Impressive. Good work! :thumbs2: 

10. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Definatly diggin it Cody. Looks fantastic. Did you reuse one mold, or make many? Which kit did you end up getting?

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like how this turned out, and thanks for the gallery submission! I wished more artists would follow suit :thumb 

12. Cody2003

Thx!

Just a mold for one segment. I had intended to make a few and then cast a multi segment mold to speed up the process, but it was going so fast with just the one it worked out fine. I did have to switch from a one piece to two piece mold setup to help fight bubbles in the cast. I don't remember the exact number, but it was Alumilite and cost ~70 bucks.

Thanks and no problem. I intend to submit several more once I get them reshot. :D