ROTF Optimus Prime: Out of Character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Leadfoot, May 27, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I don't know if this has been posted before in the distant past, frankly don't really care. Fresh opinions are always best.

As I sat watching ROTF in the theater, the one thing that stuck in my craw most was Optimus' attitude. He still showed the courage and motivations of the hero he's always been, but just in the first ten minutes, his attitude was beginning to make me uncomfortable.

Example 1: Optimus catches Demolishor, and says, "PULL OVER." This is Schwarzenegger type stuff. What G1 Optimus might have said before blasting his wheel out: "You will take no more lives, Decepticon!" That, or nothing at all.

Example 2: Optimus asks Demolishor, "Any last words?" and after his reply says "Not today..." Before blowing his optic out. What G1 Optimus might have said: "I take no pleasure in your destruction..." a la the ROTF game, then put him out of his misery.

Example 3: When Galloway objects to Optimus not sharing Autobot weaponry, he points a finger at the human, and says "We've witnessed your human capacity for war..." What G1 Optimus might have said, CALMLY, "It is not our place to peddle weapons technology; we cannot upset the delicate balance of the human race."

Example 4: Megatron asks Optimus, "Is the future of our race not worth a single human life?" and Optimus says, "You'll NEVER stop at one..." and takes them all on. Not bad, but not perfect either. So you mean you'd give Sam up if Megatron would stop at killing only him? Optimus wouldn't do that. Further, his line of thinking would not have involved it. He might have said, "NEVER! I'll take you all on!" or something better.

And what actually happened in these examples isn't completely without precedent for Optimus, but if you only have 20-30 lines to show Optimus' character in a movie, shouldn't they be better thought out? I'm just sayin'.

Does anyone else have a comment on this?

2. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    G1 is dead. Bayverse is the new Transformers, there may be some characteristics, or homage made to the 80's, but that's it.

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No wonder g1 fan hat us so much, anyways I see where youre comming from but Id rather see Optimus kicking ass than not.

4. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    It would've been nice to have a bit more "speechifying" from Prime, but I don't care.

I was suprised to hear Prime say things like, "Any last words?", "You'll never stop at one," "Give me your face!", and trash talking Megatron. But I liked it. I liked that for once Optimus was being aggressive in killing Decepticons, and the budget now allowed for him to kick ass in a grand fashion, and his speech should reflect that as well.

Prime was probably pissed that Megatron kicked him around in the first film with all the civillians around, and decided to show Megatron he wasn't as weak as he had to be back then.

I think this whole looking down on aggresive, deadly Autobots angle is ridiculous. Would you rather have them have their asses handed to them while they ramble on in monologue?

Alright vultures, come pick my post apart.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    No. RotF Optimus Prime is totally in character for RotF Optimus Prime.

6. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

I just figured that millions of years of war, and death and losing friends/comrades Prime had simply decided to get the job done to prevent further Autobot losses.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Well, this has been discussed to death already. Not much room for fresh insight.

"Give me your face."; this isn't your G-wun Optimus, this is a psycho killer of the Ed Gein variety. No relation. They just got Peter Cullen to trick you. It's a totally different guy.

My take on it: If he doesn't value TF life, why does he value the lives of humans?

8. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

More like around 12,000 years or more.

9. ricanhornet

ricanhornet Well-Known Member

Goodness, are we STILL psychoanalyzing Optimus???? Next subject, please.

10. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Because if war on our own planet has taught us anything, the abandonment of the ideals for which we are fighting leads to a victory we can celebrate and be proud of..... oh wait.... it doesn't.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

So, so far everyone agrees that it is out of character. But they're wrong when they say G1 Optimus is dead. Your ROTF Optimus would never have existed without G1 Optimus.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Exactly.

ROTF Prime is a warrior. Let the battle be joined. (and God help the face that gets between him and his new home planet)

13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Here we go again...

This Optimus isn't the G1 Optimus from the 80's. He's very similar, but far more aggressive. For the love of God, he shouldn't have to act like G1 Optimus. I remember how in Beast Wars when Primal became Optimal Optimus, he started making rambling speeches instead of just shooting.

Primal and ROTF Prime are more down to earth and serious about winning wars. They know they've lost friends in the war, and if they loose, then all hell breaks loose.

Demolishor being an example: he killed dozens of people in a major Chinese city, and he deserved his death. You say they should take him prisoner? For one, how the HELL are they gonna get a 100 ft tall unicycle who was dying anyway when defeated to the Indian Ocean in the first place?

Bottom line, this is in no way out of character. The point of new franchises is to show new perspectives to the character, and this one is showing how badass and aggressive he can be when he's not making a speech or bantering with Megatron.

14. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    But...he DOES value life, he basically died trying to protect Sam, who isn't even one of his species!
    On the flipside though, he wasn't going just let Megatron and the Decepticons have their way.

You see the same thing in our world and war: if your enemy is coming at you with a weapon raised, you aren't going to talk them down or warn them, you are going to take them out before they take out you or your friends.

It's not nice, but war isn't nice. THAT'S one of the biggest differences between the cartoons (especially G1) and the movie: the move takes a real, practical, view of a war-like scenario. The cartoons are "kids wars" where there are little to no consequence and most don't die.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'd find it hard to value the life of those who are trying to take the lives of others, not to mention your own.
    That said, yes, I actually agree that Optimus seemed just a tad too aggressive in ROTF then I'd expect the character to be.

As for the OP, I think you're kind of seeing G1 Prime through rose tinted glasses just a bit. G1 Prime was still a warrior who'd drop one liners now and then. Ultimately when it came to Prime being OOC in ROTF The biggest issues were him killing Demolisher execution style, and the whole "Give me your face!" thing.
    There's also the hooks in Grindor's face in the forest battle scene, but some have argued that could be a heat of battle sort of thing...Though the hooks still seem like a bit much.

16. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :bay  's Optimus Prime, like every other character :bay  has ever portrayed, has no character. He, like them all, has no motivation, no worldview, no essence that dictates how he would act in a given situation. :bay 's Optimus Prime, like all :bay  's characters exist only to serve the action, to do whatever seems the most :bay  at any given moment. Therefore, he can't be "out of character".

17. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ROTF is not G1. G1 is not ROTF. Therefore, ROTF Prime has his own character. While he shares similar qualities to other Optimus Primes, the 'real world' OP is more aggressive and violent when the situation calls for it.

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    As much as I'd love to disagree and ramble on for hours about why the Bayverse Transformers cannot replace the Transformers we grew up with, I agree. But hopefully after Transformers 3 the movie series can die in peace so we can get a better Transformers franchise.

19. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I think this Optimus is a reflection of the times.

I grew up in the era of after school specials and PSA's where He-Man talked about the dangers of pedophiles.

My Prime is a noble warrior. He was kind of like a father figure. This new Prime has a flame paint job and rips peoples faces off.

Values sure have changed I guess.

20. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not about G1. Animalistic puns aside, "Optimus Prime" has been portrayed in numerous iterations, from cartoons to comics, over the course of a quarter-century in a fairly consistent manor. No matter the generation, Optimus Prime is pretty much Optimus Prime... expect the :bay  version. Aside from a general design aesthetic and a recycled voice actor (complete with retreaded lines), :bay 's OP does things that no other incarnation of OP has done or would do given an extrapolation of character, but :bay 's OP is so totally :bay , so it's obviously cool. :rolleyes: