Minor/Repaint: ROTF Optimus Prime. Because everyone's doing it

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I actually painted him up a few months ago. Wasn't too bothered to show him off because he's only one of a few hundred thousand repaints. A lot of which have swapped hands and custom cannons to with them. Still, I am very happy with mine and glad I gave him the once-over. It really makes for an improvement over his standard scheme, plus it means not having to shell out a bunch more money for the Takara version.

The 'silver' of the truck was done using Tamiya Silver Leaf spray. I didn't want to do chrome since I was concerned about scratching (especially with the grill being under Prime's feet). This still gives a very clean metal look that's separate from the rest of the steel parts that show in robot mode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The point of having Sideswipe in the shot was to show the Silver Leaf matched Hasbro's factory silver. But the shadowing makes Swipe look darker in that shot. They do match.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the robot mode. The gray parts were painted over using Krylon Hammered Steel to start. I then either dry-brushed or wet washed some acrylic metallic black to darken and dirty up the components a bit.
    [​IMG]
    (I have a second version of the pic above--a larger image when opened in a new window--attached below)
    [​IMG]

I did add some "brass" spots here and there. Not very much, though. Mixed gold and silver enamels to make a more faded brass color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hands are probably the best example of the wash effect. It really fell into the grooves quite well.
    [​IMG]

Arm and body detail. Painted the usual stuff in my brass mix. Also painted the 'truck' panels on his waist and upper arms that were left gray by Hasbro, as well as the window frames.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painted the head VERY sparingly. Sorry, but it feels like most of the full-face paint schemes I've seen (with exception) make this Prime look like he's wearing goggles to me. So I gave him a bit of trim directly around the eyes, light touch-up just behind them, painted the antennae, and left the rest alone.
    [​IMG]

And here's the "backpack." Even though you don't really ever see most of it, it was still kinda fun to do. And it does add to his look from the front when it's all folded up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, while I didn't do any "custom" parts, speaking of giving him a cannon I couldn't resist taking shots of him with this particular gear of war. The black doesn't entirely go with the rest of him, but I wouldn't DARE paint the set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, there you have it. Nothing no one's ever seen before, but definitely one more to add to the list. A few hundred thousand plus one more. :) 

Attached Files:

2. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

i love it.

3. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Nice job! I like the backpack in particular. Very nice detail work!

4. jcsum

jcsum Active Member

Ebay:
    Agreed. Very nice!

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well done, but you painted all those bot mode parts with that hammered steel, but left the mis-colored red toes, lol. Irregardless, it's still a nice job with what you did.

6. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

That's an awesome job! It looks way better then stock and you should paint the gun...are you worried that it cost too much or that you might distort it if you paint it because you absolutely wouldn't!!

7. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. :) 

I forgot to mention! I kept his toes red on purpose. It breaks things up kinda nicely, at least for me. :) 

Moreso, I'm afraid that I might mess it up when painting, and I spent enough on it that I wouldn't buy a second. Plus, I prefer keeping the big laser cannon inside the shell in black, and I don't know if painting the shell and attachment parts in steel and leaving that gun alone would really clash or not. PLUS, all those attachment parts would certainly scratch off the paint as I attach and reattach everything. So, I'm just not convinced enough to actually do it.

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not the red toes make sence.

9. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

:thumbs2:  NICE JOB MAN! who cares if its the 1000000 ROTF prime i've honestly did like 4 already and i just did another one cuz i always find new ways to improve my last one lol. AND I WILL POST IT W/ PRIDE! lol

anyway ya i think its a standard rule anyway that everyone has to atleast do this custom for the Prime,.. its a really good starter custom since there are so many reference off