ROTF Nest Lineup is Better Than the Original ROTF Figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Predakign2000, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I was thinking about how much better the Nest subline is than the original ROTF figures. My thought was that Hasbro doesn't have much time to design and produce the main toys for the movie. Hasbro gets the concept art for the movie's main characters and has to rush to design and produce them. They had much more time to design and produce the Nest figures. That is one reason the Nest line has kicked so much ass.

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

That's generally how it's been for all of Hasbro's movie related tie-in toylines. Nest battle characters are better toys then on screen RotF toys, non-movie characters from the first movie were better toys then movie characters. Hell even the Pursuit of Cobra line of G.I. Joes, the movie's follow up line, is better overall then the stuff we got based on the actual on screen movie characters.

Having the ability to just make toys, instead of being restricted to being forced to base them on on-screen images makes for much more creative freedom.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I am having a blast with the NEST line. They are GREAT figures.

4. tcinternet

tcinternet Speed-Blue Wrecker

Man, I agree. These figures have been a whole lot of fun. NEST Brawn has become one of my all-time latest Transformers.

Unfortunately, I also find myself saving the NEST stickers for no reason, and they're getting stuck on the weirdest things.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I feel the same way about both the Beast Wars and Beast Machines lines. Both got better the second year in.

6. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Toylines are always going to get better as time goes on, although I think it's because Hasbro has more leeway with the designs in this case.

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I agree.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree it's usually the case that a line gets better as it progresses...but that only means I agree with the OP 100%! Mindwipe, Bludgeon, Recon Ironhide, Brawn, Scattorshot and Skystalker are great. Only exceptions I've really found are Deluxe Ratchet (ok toy, nothing really stands out to me though) and Lockdown (ugh...if I hadn't got it as a bday present from my young cousins I wouldn't own it)

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I think that's a different story, as regular human designs that only have to have a certain kind of clothing, as opposed to the complex look of the on-screen Transformers, who also have to cram in their alt-mode while still possibly having a screen-accurate transformation.

But take a grain of salt with my opinion there, I don't buy Joes. :lol 

10. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is awesome, I agree. I really like how many trucks it's given us, too.

11. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    The figures themselves are great, I am having a good time with this line.

Sometimes though, it's hard for me to enjoy it that much. Having Elita-1 being just a repaint was upsetting, and not having any Scrapper, Hightower or Overload figures is even more disappointing. So having a bunch of figures come out of characters that weren't even IN the movie is irritating.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mindwipe and Bludgeon alone make the NEST line incredible.

13. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Despite the fact that I love the ROTF line, I agree. The ratio of awesome to suck is much higher in the NEST line than any TF line in recent memory, in my opinion.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. I got some ROTF figures, and sold most of them. With NEST, I knew I wanted Bludgeon, and was interested in Mindwipe and Skystalker, but now I've got Bludgeon, Skystalker, Lockdown, and Scattorshot and love them. I'm anxiously awaiting Mindwipe, and may end up buying Brawn if I see him.

My only complaints are minor... Lockdown's arms keep falling apart, and Skystalker suffers from the Fallen's springy feet syndrome.

15. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Meh, like most of the lines, both have a lot of hits and a lot of misses. I would have picked up a lot less of the NEST figures if I wasn't bored. I am glad I did, but figures like Sideswipe and Leader Prime are pretty amazing IMO, as well as Bludgeon and Brawn, but figures in both also leave something to be desired. Not too interested in a lot of the stuff coming out in the next few months, NEST and beyond.

16. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The quality of the figures is what I find to be most pleasing with the nest line. All of the figures I own from the line have tight joints and great paint apps. I have been very pleased.

PS: How do I send away for the ravage figure? Is there a form that comes with the figures? (I have the stickers.)

17. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    You have to buy a special BB/Soundwave 2-pack, unfortunately. You have to decide if you want a Soundwave repaint (which is awesome IMO) and another freaking Bumblebee. Unless you're Canadian, then you can just look for him in-store.

And I have to agree, NEST has been awesome. Much, much better than TF1's subline, Allspark Power, which was full of figures with tacked-on "Allspark blue" paint apps. Blech.

18. JCMGTX

JCMGTX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I can say is "pasties" anyone...... sorry it was the first thing that popped to mind with that comment.

19. Bent_Lee

Bent_Lee Crippled Asian Rapper

(Runs idea past wife...)

UPDATE: Even this wasn't enough to convince the wife to let me get Brawn and Dirge. And I needed a fix...

20. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

All the best toys right now came about because the robot is actually supposed to look like something.

Bludgeon is supposed to look like a skeletal samurai, Mindwipe is supposed to look like a bat, Lockdown is supposed to look like an emaciated frankenstein, Seaspray is supposed to look like a scuba diver, etc. It's a nice change from the usual blocky bots or the movie's disorganized shambles of techno-bits.

What happened was the movie line and the animated line had a kid. It's the movie line's complexity and detail level plus the animated line's emphasis on personality.

Seriously. Leave off a few details and Mindwipe, Bludgeon & Seaspray could pass for animated toys. Lockdown already is one.