Minor/Repaint: ROTF Movie SKIDS First of many customs (Large Pics)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by RoAM, Aug 2, 2009.

1. RoAM

RoAM Well-Known Member

ROTF Movie SKIDS Finished (Multiple Large Pics)

Gday Guys,

Firstly thanks to all who post in this forum it has inspired me to work on this Movie custom Skids I have had a ball making him and i think he is looking great so far. Its a WIP and i have attatched quite a few BOt mode images ALT mode pictures will come soon. I was hoping to get some feedback and advice. Frenzy how did you make your Ice Cream twins decals? were they printed from your computer onto a decal stencil? I was thinking of doing the pinstripe design on the side of skids's ALT mode in some form of sticker/decal.

Now finally onto skids...

His backpack clip was trimmed down to allow his head to move a little more freely, the back of his head was also trimmed down. I did Necrocomm4's mod on the head support to allow the panels to hold open. I trimmed the missile launcher button from the right (cannon) arm, i also cutout the panel on the back of his left arms elbow part. I custom made movie like feet by cutting the toes of a movie Mudflap grinding the two and then glueing them together then more grinding and sanding. I also took the shinpads from Mudflap and attatched them to skids. The thigh and crotch are also from Mudflap. This was to replicate the CGI images apose to the concept art Skids which the toy is obviously modelled on.

He has been painted in Autoair Custom Acrylic Pearl paints. Its hard to tell in the photos but the bonnet has been painted in a carbon fibre effect that looks awesome but is very difficult to photo. I added a Mudflap spare wheel to his backpack that attaches via a hidden magnet. I also added the end of a pen circle to the centre of his chest that folds up nicely without rubbing.
    The whole job has been clear coated in Acrylic Laquer.

So where to now....

I'm intending to move to chest panels down to make more of a move look similar to Necrocomm4's balljoint setup. Adding the pinstripes by the suggestions i will hopefully get from you guys. Manufacturing a removable grappling hook for his gun.

Here are the pictures:>

When i am happy Skids is done i will start Mudflap for Match.

He is pretty well finished, unless i can think of anything else to add.
    Last mod was to make his front panels "Floatable" i used ball joints that hold Mudflaps doors on and a lot of cutting and drilling but now you can move the panels to any pose and they still fold back when he is transformed. I added a cybertronian tatoo to his right ear. See if you can spot it.

You need to attach all images as outlined in the Radicons Guideline - Radicon Staff

Pre Decal ALT Images

First image is my special Carbon fibre effect.

Added Decals

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  2. newguy

newguy i

Very nice. I wish i was that good at first.

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I really like it! But that's kind off a fifth wheel...

iDD

4. RoAM

RoAM Well-Known Member

The fifth wheel is his spare i think. I saw it in the CGI drawings that are floating around.

5. Primusx1

Primusx1 SideswipeX Customs

Fantastic,i like the green colour it suits the figure Great Job:) 

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    very nice! i dig the vibrant colors!

7. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Lovely! And yes, Skids has a spare wheel on his back in robot mode.

Looking forward to alt mode...does the spare wheel end up currectly?

8. RoAM

RoAM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support guys, im pretty sure there will be enough room above his left (smaller) arm for the spare wheel when he is in alt mode. i will need to wait for the paint to cure properly first before i try it. Still pondering the decal/sticker dilema though.

9. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Welcome to Radicons!

That is some awesome painting for someone's first custom. The color scheme is just spot on to the look of the CG models and the paint finish is extremely smooth. Great job! :thumb 

As for the pattern on the sides of his alt mode, I would think that they would be pretty easy to replicate by hand. They're just a pattern of thin paint blotches.

10. Necrocom4

Necrocom4 Well-Known Member

great effing job dude! i was wondering myself how to get his left arm to look more cgi and it looks great. using mudflaps legs were genious. i was also wondering how to get his feet to look better and i didnt think to use mudflaps. they look a bit small to me still but they look way better than the loafers they gave him. his side panels actually come closer when you have his chest open. dunno if you did that mod but from the pics it doesnt look like it.

11. mangrasshopper

mangrasshopper resin Painter

Sweet job! The leg mod is a great idea too!
    thanks for sharing!

Joe

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Holy crap! It's upgrade time!

13. Necrocom4

Necrocom4 Well-Known Member

hey i just noticed something. since your using mudflaps parts im thinking the balljoint and hinge on his doors would be a perfect alternative to making them by scratch.

this thread makes me wanna get another mudflap and use him for parts. i bet they both got parts you can mix and match to make them both look alot better.

check it out. side by side comparison to what i did and mudflaps door joints. mudflaps joints are a tiny bit bigger and im thinking skids shins might get in the way in car mode. then again you modded his legs and feet so i dunno. it would be way more solid to what i did though. mine works but the balljoints are alittle loose.

Attached Files:

14. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Very nice work, I was going to give this figure a miss but with those mods it looks great I might have to grab one.

Hakka.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, this looks awesome as hell! Can I send mine to you to have it look like this?? What color paint did you use for this? Lol, color and brand would be awesome so that I CAN make mine look this awesome!

16. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Wow this guy is supposed to be a goof, but you made him cool! It's from zero to hero moment for Skids! Great paint job and great mod on his arms and legs man! Welcome to Radicon and I, for one, am looking forward to see more of your works.

17. RoAM

RoAM Well-Known Member

Thanks dude, i have done your head mod to hold the panels open, i just didnt take photos of that yet as it looked a little odd as i havnt done your balljoint panel mod yet. The feet are about as big as i could make them without adding more putty. If you make them too big he wont transform.

Cheers Joe I appreciate it.

Now they need to learn to read aswell. lol.

I like your idea, i have a sorry looking Partser Mudflap, looks like hes gonna loose his wings now. The shins are causing some dramas rubbing the paint when he transforms i may have to shave them a little and repaint them.

Thanks Hakka, not quite as custom as your work that i have seen. Cheers.

The paint is AutoAir 4300 Series Pearlized Lime Green, And same brand sealer Dark and Aluminium Bases. I may start making customs on requests if there is enough interests and i have enough time.

Thanks.... He is still a goof at heart :) 

18. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice! One of the best Skids custom I've seen

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quote-The paint is AutoAir 4300 Series Pearlized Lime Green, And same brand sealer Dark and Aluminium Bases. I may start making customs on requests if there is enough interests and i have enough time.-quote

Sounds good to me! If you do take on repainting let me know. As long as you can get the decals on the sides accurately, I'll let ya repaint mine for me.

20. Jazz73

Jazz73 Member

wow thats really good.
    you should try to do the mod "rapid fire" did for skids