Minor/Repaint: ROTF MINDWIPE bat mode...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Apr 27, 2010.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Oh yeah, I figured that one out. Weird that each hip joint is asymmetrical like that.

Ha! There wouldn't be very many steps. :) 

zmog

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

That is awesome!

But i'm not getting excited yet. Not until i see someone paint him purple and call him Ratbat. THEN, i'll get excited.

Well, i guess Spurt's Mindwipe came close. But I'd still like to see that. Damn, you've made me want a second Mindwipe, SMOG. Damn. :( 

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Finally found a Mindwipe so I could do this too. I have mine hanging "bat style" from my light at work.

This has got to be one of the coolest "no mod" mods I have seen in a while.

Thanks for sharing Smog :thumb 

4. SMOG

I love "no mod" mods! I'm lazy that way. :thumb 

zmog

5. me!!

me!! hey it's me.

genious!!!!!

6. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    ok, NOW this figure is worth buying

7. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    finally SMOG does some bashing! yesss!

8. SMOG

Well, this is kind of cheating. I didn't really alter the figure significantly. I just kind of messed around with it until I found something cool... which is all I'm really good at. :lol 

zmog

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It might sound kinda silly, but would someone care to do a photo tutorial of this mod?

10. SMOG

Really? Like step-by-step instructions? You can pretty much see it in the pics I already posted, can't you?

I wouldn't even really call it a "mod" so much as just an alternate transformation... the only thing I did was cut a tiny bit of plastic off the landing gear to allow them to fold forward a bit more. A slight notch could also be cut around the elbows to allow the arms to fold away flatter too... but I haven't done that yet (lazy). :) 

zmog

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, step-by-step instructions (even if very simplistic) are most helpful, especially for tutorial resourcing :wink: 

I'm reminded of Alternators Prowl and the window-front leg mod. It's essentially removing screws and swapping the legs, but I had another member insist on me showing him photos of it once, despite my explanation.

12. sentinalsupreme

sentinalsupreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    please hurry up and paint that

13. SMOG

Ah, you're on the tutorial resourcing warpath! ;) 

Maybe I'll get to taking some pics and posting them, if i have the time. No promises for now though. :) 

I did that one too. But do we have to show step-by-steps for everything? For the easier mods like that, doesn't it just encourage people to explore more on their own if you don't hold their hands? I tend to try to encourage the "teach a man to fish, and he'll eat forever" philosophy.

Hey, wait. Who said I was painting this? At most, I might dye the yellowish-brown parts. This mold feels like it would chip... a LOT, if you tried to paint it.

zmog

14. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he looks classics enough with the colors he is, getting rid of the tattoos would be all i would do to him, this mode is what sold me on him, happily sits with my classics decepticons, with skystalker standing in as vorath

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, since I'm waiting on other things, I was able to jump over and get some other things going; tutorials being one of the major things backlogged. Sometimes, one just gets in a zone doing things :) 

Even if you don't get to the photos, if someone else does the mod and would like to shoot some photos, I'll still resource them. SMOG will get the proper credit though :) 

As for step-by-step information, I totally agree with you on one hand, and on another I default back to what I said originally. Sometimes, even the easiest of things can be very challenging to someone who's never done this sort of thing before. I've found often that the very easy modifications can end up leading someone who's very inexperienced to doing things very complex, while learning a great deal on the way. Given those two conflicting views, I'll sway towards the one that's more inclusive and nurturing. :) 

Thanks for all you do, gang :) 

16. compute146

compute146 Well-Known Member

brilliant, and well thought out, aweome work
    all the best
    colin

17. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

That is an Excellent Alternate mode. So excellent that it is messing up my Headmaster plans.
    I have 1, of the Armada Sideways Mini-cons, used as a Headmaster. I just sits on the ball joint. it would fall off if I hung it upside down. It also doesn't have a Bat Face.
    I either have to modify the Headmaster, more, or stay with the original head. I was happy with the Jet mode until you figured this out. Great job.
    Note: The Tattoos come off of Mind wipe, easily, with alcohol. The paint from Sky stalker does not. It leaves a light residue on the flat finish. If you get the paint of, so does the flat finish.

18. SMOG

Good to know about the tattoo deco! That's so coming off!

Hm... aside from the idea of modding the headmaster so he attaches itself a little more solidly to the neck joint (probably not a bad idea anyway), you still have some options here. As I recall, the original Vorath only transformed into the bot head, not the bat head. You could do the same thing here.

There's still a cavity in his chest to store the regular head... what if you found a robot bat head that you could store in there? It wouldn't have to be very big, since the jet tail-fins can sort of become the ears of the bat when you fold the head out. Then in robot mode, you just fold the bat head away into the chest, and don't push the back assembly all the way in so there's still space to stow the bat head.

Or... maybe you could attach a little somethign to the tailfin assembly itself. Since those are the ears, maybe a simple flip-out bat-face could be built onto it?

Heh... all easier said than done, of course... :D 

zmog

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I removed the tattoos from mine with no problem other than a lot of elbow greased used :lol  I really think it improves the figure for me, even if it makes him a tad more bland. Also, if you're careful, you can removed enough of the tattoo to remove the silver, but keep enough of the residue for the tattoo to stealthily be there. I did that by mistake, as I need to go back on one of my wings to completely remove the rest of things :) 

20. Fatconvoy

Fatconvoy lead farmer

genius! :cool: 
    makes me want to buy the toy.