ROTF Lockdown and Bludgeon - should they be treated as classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Pac_tim, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    I'm pretty much a diehard G1'er so I've tried to keep my collection just classics/universe/masterpiece/Alt but I think I may have to have a new display shelf that I designate 'too cool not to buy figures' for things that don't really fit but I like anyway.

2. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

I dunno where to put them, but I know they are 2 of the 4 movie toys I bought - Buster Prime and Sideswipe being the other 2. That alone says they do NOT belong with the other movie toys.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Bludgeon is pretty close. Well, close enough for me anyway. There's nothing remotely "Classic" about Lockdown.

4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    this

5. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    Ohhhhhhhh. Hmm. I never go strictly by character because of all the awesome non-show toys. I'll have to try wrapping my head around that viewpoint!

:lol 

Okay. I'm hearing that you mostly collect show characters. Does that trump even wanting to buy a toy that you feel is awesome, that never gets any screentime or comic page time?

Ack. Now I need to find something to OCD over. Ummm... I troopbuild! Even iconic figures like ultra-class Primal. :sly2:  Does that count?

6. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

I use both Bludgeon and Lockdown for Classics. I also use Mindwipe for Classics too since you have the option of giving him "normal" legs and "chicken" legs.

I think a lot more of the movie verse characters are being designed with both types of collector's in mind, which is cool.

I always figured a collection should be fluid and show progression anyway. And basically it comes down to if you like the figure.

7. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Bludgeon fits in with Classics nicely, but I'm not sure about Lockdown. He really doesn't fit in anywhere, but he is one AWESOME figure. I just have him on my desk beside my monitor because he is too badass for the shelf.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Bludgeon is, to me anyways, a bona-fide Classics/Universe figure in everything but the packaging (helps that the original design that would develop ROTF/Classics Bludgeon actually was first submitted during Energon)

Lockdown...not so much. While the idea of drawing from all TF lines is something I think is neat, Lockdown's design didn't need as much over-detailing as the movie toy got in my opinion.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

No on both counts. They're both movie figures aesthetically.

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oooo, I must put Movie Big Daddy as a Classics. Heck, he could hang out with the G1's.

11. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm undecided on Lockdown. Leaning towards yes, but haven't made a decision yet. Those weird knee joints are messing with me on that one.

Bludgeon and Mindwipe? YES.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    bludgeon doesnt fit the movie line at all. the head design isnt like anything else in there (especially the helmet), neither is the body design (too solid), or the colors.

so when I put my classics back on display, bludgeon will tag along.

lockdown? no. doesnt fit classics at all.

13. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Bludgeon yes. Lockdown? Not quite. Him and Mindwipe just don't blend well with Classics, IMO.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I have Bludgeon in my classics display case. I think he fits very well.

15. Pac_tim

Pac_tim Urban Achiever

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IT DOES. I am very consistent. Even if it is a great looking figure, I have no emotional attachment to it whatsoever. Back in the day, I bought the combiners from Beast Wars because they looked cool and the nostalgia of combiners washed over me, but I don't even display them now because I don't know who they are (since I have such a personal relationship with on-screen characters :) ). I'll almost ignore anything that wasn't on screen (non-G1, that is).

16. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I think people exaggerate how well Bludgeon fits with Classics figures. He definitly looks IMO more movie like especially with that head (I know it was said he was designed to fit with Classics but still), I think people just think of him as a Classics figure because of their want for more Classics figures. Not that I care, I plan on posing him with my Classics

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bludgeon, Mindwipe- I put with Classics.
    Lockdown stays with RotF- if i had him.

18. Bent_Lee

Bent_Lee Crippled Asian Rapper

I'm puting Lockdown in a shaded corner shelf where he can stalk his target (Ani. Lockdown is the first I sent him after :dunce ). If Bludgeon had an actual skull he would probably fit in better with both lines, but as is I keep him with my movie toys, mainly because I don't have any classics/universe figures :cry  (unless of course I decide to count Lockdown or Bludgeon)

I may have to get Mind Wipe and have a creepy bad guy shelf

19. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Well, Hasbro said that Bludgeon was meant to be in Classics... I stuck him on my Classics Decepticon shelf and... well, he actually does fit very well.

Not sure how Mindwipe will work... Not sure I want to get Lockdown, but that's still up in the air.

To the OP: The way you have your collection organized is pretty unique to yourself... if your classics shelf is only show characters... then you might as well just skip Bludgeon. You'd be missing out on a great toy, but it would help with organization. Despite his packaging, it's definitely a G1 character with a classics-style toy with enough movie design elements to let it be packaged as a movie toy. This whole topic is extremely subjective, though.

20. Pac_tim

Pac_tim Urban Achiever

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, my Classics shelf does not have to be only show characters. Comics are game, too, and Bludgeon was prominent at the end of the Marvel run. My whole G1 collection started with both cartoon characters and comic characters before I started worrying about everything else. Plus, I loved that the Titanium line had War Within figs (even if they weren't the best quality).

I'm still torn. His looks tell me to get him, but his box says not to. I'd see him on the Classics shelf and know he doesn't belong there. Damn. :confused: