ROTF Lockdown and Bludgeon - should they be treated as classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Pac_tim, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Pac_tim

Pac_tim Urban Achiever

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The eight-year-old in me that got that first Mirage figure has been craving and buying every G1 toy, but I've had to make adjustments for other lines.

Since Beast Wars started, I have only purchased figures that get screen time. It's my way of limiting myself (otherwise, I'd be in big trouble money-wise). Exceptions are made for non-TV toylines such as Alternators, Titaniums, and Classics. But they are all inspired by other toylines in one way or another, and the updates to characters (G1 or otherwise) always fascinate me.

SO, ROTF Lockdown and Bludgeon are off-screen characters, but inspired by other lines. They wouldn't make sense on my shelf with my ROTF on-screen-only figures, but could they be considered part of the Classics series and be grouped on the shelf with all of them? I guess Seaspray will fall under this category, too. I like them both, but it seems way too soon for an update to Lockdown.

Should I get them? What say you?

2. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    I've been having the same mental dilemma, as well. In fact, it's actually prevented me from buying Mindwipe (I only buy G1/neo-G1 lines or figs, and BW) as I'm not sure if he fits the G1 aesthetic enough, even if it is an update of his G1 self.

That being said, I think it needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Bludgeon has a style close enough to the rest of the classics that I don't feel he seems too out of place. ROTF Lockdown, on the other hand, does not fit the Animated proportions and art direction at all, in my opinion.

Still on the ropes about Seaspray... The homage is definitely there, but the head and the chicken-legs scream movie-verse a bit too loudly for my tastes.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Bludgeon, yes.

Lockdown, no.

4. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Bludgeon Yes, If you're a fan of Animated, then yes for Lockdown too. They are 2 of the very few Movie figures I've picked up period and only because they were homages to characters I liked
    -G

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This! Lockdown being from animated is just too new of a character to be considered a classics contender.

Bludgeon is just 10 tons of awesome I keep him with my ROTF Decepticons.

I do worry about him, he keeps menacingly eyeballing my G1 Autobots :sly2: 

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't think Lockdown fits in with any TF lines other than Animated. I think he looks cool, but even the RoTF version looks like it should be in the animated section.

Bludgeon seems about as "Classics" as they can be though.

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure Bludgeon was confirmed by Hasbro as a leftover Classics design that didn't make the cut for much the same reason that Galvatron became a Deluxe 'too many tanks'.

They just made a new Lockdown becasue the designers liked the character, and to some extend it's a foreshadowing of the direction the line is going to take, IE a range of characters from various times in the line's history, and sometimes from different continuities too.

8. Pac_tim

Pac_tim Urban Achiever

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem is that buying just one of them will open a whole can of worms. I'll be obligated to buy every one that is an homage to another line (like Seaspray).

For example, with Animated, I didn't buy any of the Cybertron Mode figures because the character was already represented. But CM Ratchet looks awesome. If I break down and buy him, I'll have to go back and buy the CM mode of Optimus and Megatron.

I know, it's odd, but I have to be consistent.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Lockdown should be in Generations/Universe, but Bludgeon works well as a Classics.

10. AMG

AMG Old School

Bludgeon is definitely a classics bot.

11. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What I think? I don't give a damn. It's a great toy. Be happy it's released. It could be packaged in a My Little Pony package and I'll still buy it.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's on the box/card is what I go by, without exception. So they're movie toys, from my POV.

13. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    If that's your reasoning, you're going to start seeing all the little things that are homages to other lines. Everything with a balljoint is an homage to G2. The Takara designers said they take design elements from previous lines, and incorporate them into new lines. That's an awfully large can of worms.

Why do you have to be completionist to feel consistent? Why not just get the toys you like? I didn't get[1] TFA Lockdown, but I will be getting ROTFDown because I like the vehicle mode design, and as I recall, he has wrists.

ObTopic: I see them both as sufficiently Classics-ish to welcome them into that fold. In fact, I'd be willing to put most movie figures with real faces in the classics line.

[size=-2][1] LIES!! I bought the exclusive translucent one because of the sale price, and the screw-up with wal-mart not putting legends Bumblebee's SKU in their computer system.[/size]

14. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    I totally know where you're coming from with this. Again, it is what is stopping me from buying Mindwipe or,in the future, Seaspray. I like to make sure each figure fits in as the definitive version of the figure for a given line. So I agree, if any of said figures don't fit into Classics, MP/Binaltech, G1, or BW, for me, even if it is an homage, it's hard to justify buying it as a one-off.

The OCDness must come from being Ohioians, haha. :dunce 

15. Pac_tim

Pac_tim Urban Achiever

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting...

I have 20 shelves. Everything is grouped by toyline. G1 is even set up by tv show timeline. Putting Bludgeon in the Classics area COULD botch up 26 years of collecting...

16. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Neither Lockdown nor Bludgeon fit in the ROTF line imo.

Lockdown's style is just one small step from Animated.

Bludgeon joins the group of purposely-different-than-realistic-styled movie inspired bots like :deluxe Dirge, scout Dead End and voyager Mindwipe.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yes... get both... they're both classics figures to me... they fit very well, from what i've seen... and seaspray too, and about two dozen other figures from various lines that are homages to great characters... ORIO made a list recently of all his Classics bots... and cons... 96 and 92 respectively... and my list is pretty close to his... however, that's also including AEC figures... So its AECCUG... (Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Classics, Universe, and Generations) all combined into one massive collection...

i just can't do that... mixing and matching is the only way to go for me... especially when we know hasbro has intended certain figures to be in certain lines, but it just didn't happen for one reason or another...

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can appreciate that... but considering how fussy most of us tend to get about the organization of figures, not keeping things aligned to their release line introduces thousands of levels of subjectivity that I just can't deal with. :lol 

19. Pac_tim

Pac_tim Urban Achiever

News Credits:
    Ebay:

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think about this a lot too. I have no doubt in my mind Lockdown will be with Animated, but Bludgeon? Ugh....Idk.