rotf lines... why must u be so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mfa8578, Jul 14, 2009.

1. mfa8578

mfa8578 transparentprime

i can't help myself but to say that the rotf lines are indeed quite expensive in my country. the figures are well-designed and well-articulated.

about 25 years ago, i still remember how enjoyable it was to be able to play with figures like o.p, areal bots and many more. they used to be so affordable. but today i've seen a lot of children at my place leavin' toy stores with sad faces 'cause they just can't afford to get what they want.

i mean, aren't toys suppose to be dedicated to children all around the world? aren't they suppose to be enjoyed and adored?

2. tomboland

tomboland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    does the word "recession" mean anything to you?

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toys are a business, like any other; "dedicated to children around the world" and "adored and enjoyed" are a distant second.

AFAIK, I've never seen it, but you also have to take into account inflation when comparing prices of toys now to those "back in the day", as well as the current poor state of the world economy (get used to that...).

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Bay's 8%.

5. mfa8578

mfa8578 transparentprime

i must agree with u guys. but then, i can't help but to think of the poor kids. still, i thank GOD for what i have today and making me one of the affordables. perhaps one day i can do something for who need our love and care...

am i being tooo emotional? hehe... anyway, i'm so glad that TAKARA is coming out with encore series. as everybody is too concentrated on ROTF lines, it seems that the g1 lines are being sold at cheaper prices... hehe... thanx bay!!!

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm pretty sure that, if you allow for inflation, TFs cost pretty much the same as they always did. Put simply, yes, the pricetag is higher than it was 25 years ago, but people are earning more money.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Affordable? Prices went up a few of dollars in the last 25 years. As I posted before, we are lucky that we have a toy hobby that prices have been stable all these years. Here are a few ads from the 80s. Again I posted them previously and it's been posted many times.

Here we have Transformers from an old JC Penny catalogue.
    [​IMG]

Here is G1 Superion from an old KMart ad. It's only $2 less than the ROTF packaged Superion at Target.
    [​IMG]

8. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    with the work, (engineering, craftsmanship, etch) that went into this new 'toys', i can say that they're still pretty affordable.

(i maybe crazy but i see TFs more like 'art' than mere 'toys'. that's just me.

9. mfa8578

mfa8578 transparentprime

yup, thinkin' of it... you guys can't be wrong. anyway... can someone please tell which line does the blue-colored transparent prime belong to? i came across the picture years ago, kept it in my hard disc but didn't know which line did it come from

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes....Toy's were more affordable back in the day. Mainly because my parents were flipping the bill.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    heh people would start a riot trying to buy if the could get a MISB G1 megs for $25 today but seriously prices have stayed in line with what they have always been, inflation just makes it seem more

12. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Considering inflation the price probably hasn't moved much.

Joes on the other hand have gone from around $3.00 in the late 80s/early 90s to $8.00, and they haven't made the same progress in terms of engineering that TFs have.

13. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    waverider, superion might be $29 in the usa I paid $59 and who knows what the original poster had to pay in his part of the world.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    And who nows how much was paid in disparate parts of the world for G1 Superion?

Isn't the topic comparing the expense of modern toys to the expense of toys 25 years ago? Waverider provides some excellent, actual, comparable examples of that comparison.

15. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    Whenever I'm feeling down and out about the poor children that cant afford Transformers, i take a box of mine down to the salvation army and sit on the curb and start playing with them. when all the poor children come over to me i let them hold them and then snatch them away and laugh. i tell them to get a job and that their parents dont love them because drinking was a higher priority. It only works with American children though..the others don't understand what I'm saying.

I hope this help.

16. mfa8578

mfa8578 transparentprime

two years back, i got a movie prime at the price of USD 53. the rotf prime ranges at USD70-USD 100! depending on the stores. how's that huh?

the price won't ever drop

17. mfa8578

mfa8578 transparentprime

gosh... a pepsi prime here can easily cost u USD 180 MAN... due to its so called rarity... what the heck... guess i must switch to e-bay then. better pricing

18. 1govnor1

1govnor1 Giggidy

Everybody wants a piece of the pie, so they have to jack the price up. It comes down to "how badly do you want this particular toy."

19. mfa8578

mfa8578 transparentprime

u got a good point there... and i can't help but to think that i'll pay to get what i want... no matter what's the cost.. hehe

guess those unfortunates have to turn to KO stuffs... how sad...

20. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

t:

Yeah.

Deflation.

The current TF pricepoints might make sense for some reason, but it sure isn't across-the-board inflation.