ROTF Legends Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Optimus Prime, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just noticed that I'd gotten this in the mail today, so I wrote up a quick text review. Pics will be coming later, including comparisons with the original Movie Legends Optimus Prime.

EDIT: pics up, done with a low-quality camera and patented IDW Comic Backing "Lightbox."

Vehicle Mode:

[​IMG]

Basically, it's a miniature version of the Peterbilt Optimus Prime. It is primarily red, blue, and grey with silver paint on the windows and metallic blue paint for the flames. The wheels all roll, unlike the first Legends Prime, whose back wheels were fixed. The wheels are black plastic.
    This mold is more realistic proportionally, and slightly larger than the first Legends Prime. Also, it has TWO smokestacks instead of one, which is a plus. :D  The coloration is much more accurate, and there is more variety in this one as opposed to the original.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transformation:

Different than the first Legends Prime. Split the back half of the truck (the back wheels section) in half; these are Prime's arms. Extend them up and out.
    [​IMG]

Split the nose of the truck in half; these are Prime's legs. Rotate them down. Rotate the waist 360 degrees and peg it into place on Prime's torso. Fold Prime's feet down.
    [​IMG]

Next, rotate the arm panels forward so they click into place on the torso. Last, fold the top of the cab back and Prime's head flips up. There you have it!

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

Infinitely better than the first Legends Prime. Colors are still red, grey, and blue, along with black on his upper arms. His head is more accurate (has a faceplate, not a mouth), torso is more accurate, his arms have more color and elbows (unlike the first one). His fists are molded onto the back part of the truck, but they're still recognizable as fists. His waist doesn't flop around like the first one, since it locks into place nicely. The legs are much better, not big, chunky blocks like on the first Prime. However, he doesn't have any knee joints, which is slightly disappointing. His legs are ball-jointed at the hips, though, so he can move his legs around (shoulders are also ball-jointed).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall:

Way, WAY better than the first Legends Prime. Lots of tabs and locking pieces in vehicle mode, and the vehicle mode is more detailed and more accurate. The robot mode is incredibly good for a Legends toy; again, more accurate, colorful, and cooler than the first Legends Prime. If you're into Legends, don't miss this one. 4/5, losing a point for the lack of knee joints.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    He has gorilla arms, but other than that, he's cool.

Great review. :) 

3. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice review. Pretty good for a Legends figure.

4. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Looks a lot better than the first one.

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, this ones light years past the first version, I may actually hafta pick him up.:tongue: 

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks great, I'll pick this up for sure.

7. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

sw33t. and now, we can has ROTF legends jetfire review? :D 

8. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been trying to get my brother to do one, since that's his Jetfire, but I'll maybe put one up tomorrow.

9. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Trukk and Munky?

10. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

I second the gorilla arms sentiment. And coupled with skinny legs/feet = an improvement over the first movie legends Prime for sure, but I'm still "meh" about this one.