ROTF: Legends class Springer

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by zephon, Jun 19, 2009.

1. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, there exists already a thread of other ROTF Legends class figs here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/240059-rotf-legends-thread-mudflap-fallen.html

I just thought I'd focus on one of them:

First of all, let us set expectations -- the toy I'm featuring here, Autobot Springer, is a Legends class figure from ROTF. Being a Legends class figure, it is a given that 1) articulation is limited 2) transformation is simple 3) detailing is limited.

The name of Springer bears the burden of being a very recognizable name from G1 both as a toy and as a character from the TF animated movie. Lately, Springer's been depicted as a Deluxe class APC and as a Voyager class helicopter. In this wave of characters, he's now shrunk down to a Legends class figure.
    [​IMG]
    Packaging is standard Legends class packaging. Price-point is something one would cringe at for such a small figure.

The back of the packaging doesn't have a profile or bio but just his stats and transformation instructions.
    [​IMG]
    It's interesting to note that based on his stats of strength, intelligence and endurance, one can profile him as being a tactical "hauler". His lack of skill but high fireblast makes me wonder if he's more suited for carpet bombing....

From the package, one easily dismisses Springer as "just another repaint"....well, in a way, he does resemble Incinerator....though so far Incinerator's just got a Voyager class toy to his name.
    [​IMG]

There is one major feature that his little Legends class fig as over the Voyager class Incinerator -- Legends class Springer has HANDS!!!
    [​IMG]
    Something as simple as having the correct humanoid appendages suddenly catapults Legends Springer from a "ho-hum" fig to a "hmm...interesting" fig.

As stated early in the review, don't expect this fig to stand on one leg or one arm. His articulation is so limited that he doesn't have shoulder joints to make his arms swing forward.

The packaging states that Springer's alternate mode is a fixed-wing plane. The instructions support this claim as well.
    [​IMG]

I'm sure the silhouette of the Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft is very undeniable at this point. So with a literal flick of the wrist, Springer can now tilt his rotors to engage in VTOL mode!
    [​IMG]
    My gripe here is that the designers could have made this mode "official" and gotten justification to increase the length of the rotor blades.

Size-wise, Springer's vehicle mode fits quite well with other TF of his class. Here he is in vehicle mode....
    [​IMG]

....and in robot mode.
    [​IMG]
    "...three of these things belong together, three of these things are...."

ROTF Legends class Springer is a good example of a small toy that pulled a fast one over a bigger class toy. The presence of his hands in robot mode suddenly moves him out of the shadow of the Voyager class Incinerator. Though he's far from perfect at this size, I doubt that his bigger version would have those extra hands if we're to follow the path of mold maximization. If you have extra cash to burn, Springer is perfect for those impulse purchases!
    [​IMG]

Truth to be told, I don't have the luxury of extra cash to burn...so why did I gamble on an obscure character? Well, let's just say that I have a helipad here that nobody seems to be using....
    [​IMG]

....which I believe is a perfect fit for Springer!
    [​IMG]

A busy day at Metroplex....
    [​IMG]

....and a close up of Springer making himself feel at home along with the other little guys!
    [​IMG]

Fits in quite well, don't you think? :D 

Thanks for looking!

2. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His articulation is very limited, even for a legends class figure. Has anyone else had thier Springer become looser than a $10 whore?

3. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Yes!

His legs are easier to spread than a teenage slut's!

4. Grindor

Grindor Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about ROTF legends Arcee?

5. NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman Well-Known Member

I really love this figure! I was also put over the top when I discovered that he had hands. I like Incinerator, but the blade "hands" were a bit of a detraction.

6. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

This guy is amazingly articulated for his size. I mistook him for a Voyager when we saw the first blurry publicity pics. I just wish his elbows could turn a bit more in either direction, because as they are now they're always bent. Otherwise, he's awesome.

7. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would disagree. The other figures in the size class are much more articulate, and don't have intentionally limiting movement, like Springer's shoulders. They could have been ball joints, but they had to be hinges.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I love the looks of this guy, but only thing really poseable in bot mode is his hands & legs.
    I love the look of the propeller hands and he's pretty impressive looking for a Legends.
    One of my favorite legends so far, and he does'nt do much but look cool. 5$ for a unique & fresh design is worth it

Transformation is quick & easy and jet mode is solid.
    Would love to have a Voyager sized one with proper articulation. This is the only Legend that really stands out to me.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got him.

REALLY wish he had a Voyager counterpart, because he is freaking awesome.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got 2 of em and like em both.
    He is not so articulate, but i don't mind.
    Springer shoulda been a deluxe or bigger

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Agreed. I would even take Incinerator mold repainted (Though I would not be against a retool and a new head)

12. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How I wish that instead of a hinge joint on his shoulders, they should have just made it into a ball joint. Maybe the customizers can do that.

13. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I really don't get the love for this guy.

He looks nice, but that's it. He's a floppy, inarticulate block.

14. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Given his strong resemblance to Incinerator, one has to wonder whether the mold for Springer might not have originally been intended to be a Legends-class version of that Decepticon. Whatever the case, though, Springer does have one advantage over the much larger Voyager-class figure he so resembles: hands. While he still has the twin rotors of his alternate mode on his arms, they flip over to unveil hands.

Articulation is as good as you can reasonably expect from a Legends-class figure, so Springer can at least adopt a walking pose (somewhat) and point his rotors forward for imagined slashing attacks. The detailing on the small figure is quite good. There is little resemblance to G1 Springer, but apparently being a green helicopter bot (not really a helicopter, mind you, but with rotor blades) was enough. So bottom line: a nice robot mode, fully sufficient for this size class.

Alternate Mode: Springer transforms into a V-22 Osprey helicopter / plane (the Osprey being a hybrid between the two). He’s got the number code 5PR1N6ER printed across his wingspan (I hope I do not need to spell the “hidden” message, do I?) and overall the little vehicle looks pretty good. A real Osprey can, of course, twist his rotor blades from forward to upward position and while there is no such “articulation” in the wings themselves, you can still flip up the actual rotors to simulate this, though you flip out the robot hands in the process. Overall a nice little vehicle mode, perfectly fine for a Legends-class figure.

Remarks: Springer was a bit of a surprise in that he got two toys in the initial waves of the ROTF toyline, this one here and a Robot Hero, despite not appearing in the ROTF movie. Why did this happen? Simple, because he was supposed to be in the movie. Plans changed, though, but the toys were already in production. So despite appearing only in the British ROTF comics from Titan, he has more toys than on-screen characters like Scalpel.

I’m not a big collector of Legends-class figures normally, but considering that this is the only transforming Springer toy in the ROTF line, there really wasn’t much choice. Given that real Ospreys are relatively large vehicles, this toy is actually almost in-scale with Legends Devastator, if you want to stage some battles there. Bottom line: a nice little toy for fans of Legends-class figures and Springer.

Rating: B

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    If nothing else, Springer goes well with Powerglide and Air Raid as a sort of in-scale Aerialbot Green Team:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]