Minor/Repaint: ROTF Leader Starscream WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hakka, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I put ROTF in the title instead of TFTM, oops.

He's not finished yet but he's reasonably close. I still need to put a few more layers on is back and around the cockpit area. I have some engines to go on his back they just need to be painted. I also need to add some weathering effects to some parts.

I'm not really happy with the silver on the lower legs I think I'll rub them back and repaint them. Same with the missile launcher.

I removed the standard orange LEDs and replaced them with red ones, the one behind the cockpit is gone. I sanded the ones in his chest to give them a more diffused effect, I'd like to put a bigger resistor on those two to dim them right down.

I wanted to swap the parts directly above his elbows, but his forearms are a pain to disassemble so I just swapped the arms. It means his pop out weapons are now reversed but you can see the detail above the elbows instead of a few screw holes, and those parts of the arms now have a wider profile.

The parts inside his lower legs have been turned around to show the detailed parts instead of the flat cyclinder. I had to modify the pegs on the upper legs to do this.

I think he's been put together wrong by Hasbro, the elbow and lower knee joints should be switched to the opposite sides. I checked a few others in the shops and they were all the same.

I added a ball joint to the right wrist, I will do the finger articulation mods as well. I left the other hand standard as I will always have the weapon mounted to it.

To make the cutting weapon I removed the missiles and blades from his launcher and mounted the blade on a cut down missile. It can be converted between the launcher and the cutter in about 30 seconds. Not really a good idea in hindsight, I have a razor sharp cutting blade mounted to a spring loaded missile and have almost shot myself in the face twice. Oh well, it looks cool.

I added the 2 fins to the launcher, they are made from some spare panels from Jetfire and attached to the missile racks for easy removal.

I stuck 2 little bits of wire in his chest to hold the panels open.

He did have tattoos on all the grey parts but I wasn't happy with them so they were removed.

I'm thinking about adding the darker gray stealth camo like on the MP-01 but I need to do some practice runs to achieve a smooth transition between the greys, any tips would be much appreciated.

I just got a new camera 20 minutes ago and haven't quite worked it all out yet, the photos aren't very well lit due to my crap excuse for a lightbox.

updated pic:

[​IMG]

older pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know someone will want alt mode pics, sorry but it's not gonna happen.

Hakka.

Attached Files:

• ss3.JPG
      ss3.JPG
      File size:
      206 KB
      Views:
    • ss4.JPG
      ss4.JPG
      File size:
      186.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss5.JPG
      ss5.JPG
      File size:
      172.5 KB
      Views:
    • ss7.JPG
      ss7.JPG
      File size:
      275.5 KB
      Views:
    • ss8.JPG
      ss8.JPG
      File size:
      265.6 KB
      Views:
    • ss9.JPG
      ss9.JPG
      File size:
      321.1 KB
      Views:
    • ss10.JPG
      ss10.JPG
      File size:
      307.8 KB
      Views:
    • ss11.JPG
      ss11.JPG
      File size:
      221.2 KB
      Views:
    • ss12.JPG
      ss12.JPG
      File size:
      191.8 KB
      Views:
    • ss13.JPG
      ss13.JPG
      File size:
      193 KB
      Views:
    • ss14.JPG
      ss14.JPG
      File size:
      191.1 KB
      Views:
    • ss1.JPG
      ss1.JPG
      File size:
      296 KB
      Views:
    • ss2.JPG
      ss2.JPG
      File size:
      306.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss6.JPG
      ss6.JPG
      File size:
      149 KB
      Views:
  2. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Lookin' good so far, mate!

3. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Damn i love it so far, And Add with the Killer Saw. I think he Rocks double blades, but dont quote me lol. I took a closer look at him in the game. Check it out, but it looks sweet bro, i see alot of kats are painting right over his Tatt's. I Dig his Tatt's, But either way he's bad ass. Cant wait to see the Finish. Did you completly Disassemble him and paint or no? im asking cause i want to repaint mine when i receive him.

4. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome. Love the missile launcher! All these SS mods and nobody has added the extra "nails" to his fingers yet.

5. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I disassembled the head, lower legs, upper arms and the part with the cockpit on it. I just half-transformed him to get to the harder parts.

Hakka.

6. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Ive never took apart a LEADER fig, im trying to do that with 07 Leader Brawl, and i get freaked out, like loosing screws or screwing up his Sounds ect.....
    if you could give me some tips, id appreciate it man. like d oyou think i could just Hit him with a base coat, let him dry then go to work, or will that come out looking weird. also, i use brushes

7. Starscream_CF

Starscream_CF Decepticons

Super... :O

8. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

If you have a look at my leader Brawl he was completely brush painted in one piece, I partially transformed him to get to a few tight spots. He was easier to do in one piece than Prime or SS.

I believe you can get a better result by partially dissassembling them but its not essential, and it depends on what figure you're painting to some extent.

They really aren't that hard to dissassemble. If you're not confident try doing it piece by piece. Pull an arm to bits and finish it, then do the other arm etc.

If you do it that way and forget where the parts go you can carefully dissassemble the other arm and use it as a reference. Brawl is the only Leader figure I have not pulled to bits, if it was a prime or SS I could tell you exactly where each piece goes.

As for the screws, get a piece of corrugated cardboard and draw a very rough outline of what you're dissassembling, as you remove the screws press them into the cardboard in the correct position. That makes it a lot easier to put it back together, especially when the screws are different sizes.

It gets a lot harder when you pull apart the body containing the mechalive system and electronics, that isn't required for painting though, only LED mods.

Hakka.

9. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Here's an older photo of when he had tattoos. I just masked up some random designs before I applied the grey, leaving the tatts the matt black of the base coat which was too dark.

I've tried adding in movie accurate tatts with photo editing software but I think I'll stick with the TFTM scheme for this figure. I might do a tattood one in the future.

[​IMG]

hakka.

Attached Files:

• tat.JPG
      tat.JPG
      File size:
      274.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you mirror image these pictures or swap the gatling gun and the two missiles? On my SS the gun is on his right arm.

11. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I swapped the arms below the white line, I only wanted to swap the parts circled in yellow but there are a lot of one way pins on the forearms.

[​IMG]

Hakka.

Attached Files:

• arm.JPG
      arm.JPG
      File size:
      195.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Thanks man, ima use that, ur awesome bro. mos appreciated. So what parts did u Take apart on SS, cause soon as i get him, he's gonna get SLAPPED with some paint, lol. will painting him around the chest Mess with the Electronics?

Damn, yeah, im Digging the TFTM color's alot better, ALOT better.

13. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

On my SS:

removed the three screws on the back of the grey upper arm panel for arm removal.

removed the 2 screws on the back of the thigh for leg removal, there is 2 ratchet cogs and a spring in here.

removed 4 screws around the calf area to dissasseble lower leg, There is a ratchet joint in here with a spring loaded tab that will fall out when you open the leg up, hold it the right way up when you pull it apart and it should stay in there so you can see where it goes.

removed the 4 screws at the back of the cockpit(one hiding under landing gear). I did this to get to the electronics and allow complete head removal and canopy removal. I needed to get to the electronics and was intending to tint the canopy, but I ended up painting the bits behind the canopy instead.

This section is very hard to get back together tight, I kept getting wires in the wrong spot and had a gap between the two halves. There are also the mechalive parts in here.

I suggest you DO NOT dissassemble this section. instead remove the 2 screws in the back of the head, this will let you pull the head apart but the bottom jaw section will stay on the figure. If you do dissassemble this section let me know and i will give detailed instructions for reassembly.

There are some pins and a spring inside the head but I think all that should stay in place if you just take out the two back screws.

The rest of the figure can be painted by partially transforming it.

Painting will not hurt the electronics.

If you have any probs let me know.

hakka.

14. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Thanks Bro, thats the TiTs man. Ill let you know when i start on him. you got an email i can reach you at? i dont wanna fill this thread or ur Inbox.

15. 'purple-bot'

'purple-bot' Well-Known Member

looking amazing, love the movie 1 look
    keep it up

16. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I sent you a PM.

Hakka.

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks good man. nice work!!

18. r0guearmy

r0guearmy Wizrd. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's very impressive, and much better than either Hasbro or Takara's attempts at a paint job.

19. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Just playing around with the new camera here's a better pic of the head:

[​IMG]

Hakka.

Attached Files:

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Beautiful!