ROTF Leader Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Just got him in today. VERY cool.

[​IMG]

I'm not going super overboard on pics, since we've seen a lot already, but I'll do my best to get some shots of member requests if you have any.

Truck mode is nice, a lot more accurate than the first one. He's slightly shorter at the top of the cab, but about 1/4" longer overall in truck mode. About the same mass as the first toy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Racing Truck Sounds!" we saw mentioned on the previous box pic have been removed. No sounds that I can find in vehicle mode, and there are none listed on the instructions either.

UPDATE!!

I found the truck noises. They aren't mentioned on his instruction sheet, and the picture on the box made it look like the button should be located in the blue section on the side of the cab. Turns out it's a tiny hidden tab on the battery compartment you need to push, seen circled in yellow below:

[​IMG]

It's just an engine noise, nothing as exciting as the "racing truck noises" listed on the package, but it's there. The sound lasts as long as you hold the button down. Video update for the vehicle noise is here:

Here's a quick shot of the undercarriage to fulfill a couple of requests:

[​IMG]

Transformation is crazy. That Trailer hitch is actually how his waist plugs into the torso. The entire front underside of the truck is actually his FEET, folded up and extended. The grill of the truck is once again the underside of his feet. Watch the video review, it's CRAZY. The engine and cab form his torso and arms. Snapping the waist into the torso activates the transformation noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A REALLY neat transformation that pays off in Robot mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a good inch and a half taller than the first movie's leader class figure, and overall a LOT more screen-accurate. And they both have swords!

[​IMG]

A quick side comparison:

[​IMG]

The red is about the same color on the new one as the older version. The flash is making it look pinker, but it really isn't. You can see in the side shot of the truck modes that the reds both turned that weird pinkish color in the flash. And you can see how his forearms are actually a much darker red in this rear shot.

[​IMG]

The back is a lot cleaner this time, and more screen accurate as well. Just an all-around excellent figure. The swords are activated by a button on each arm. And flipping down and pressing on the same piece as the first movie's figure causes his chest to flex witht eh mach alive gears and he says "I am Optimus Prime!" If it's NOT Cullen's voice, they got a good imitator. But my money's on the fact that it's actually Cullen. As for the Mech Alive, when you push the button that activates the voice effect, the chest flexes and the gears inside rotate a little. It's nothing super impressive, but it's there. There are also some bits in his upper arms that rotate as you move his lower arms, much like the ones on Sideways.

Here's some close-ups of his head/chest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video review is available here:

YouTube - ROTF Leader Class Optimus Prime

Short Version: Super Awesome, Buy on sight!

[​IMG]

Some posed shots for those asking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A running shot:

[​IMG]

You can see he's balanced on one foot and his toes:

[​IMG]

Balanced on one foot:

[​IMG]

Taking out Stockade:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Optimus Victorious!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Must. Buy.

Thanks for the review!

3. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the sculpt of both modes better than the original, but dang that finish on the new one looks cheap and, well, unfinished.

4. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    It could use a bit more paint in places. I would have liked to see colored headlights, though these do look translucent.

5. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Really dig the new shade of blue they're using. I had hoped they'd use a lighter color for Prime, didn't get it on the premium, but i'm sure as hell glad they did it here.

Though i'm somewhat torn. Should i wait for the inevitable properly painted version, or this very plasticky, looking unpainted version?

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Well, that IS the premium version next to him. The first version of the mold for the last movie was about the same as the new one.

7. RHALX

RHALX Well-Known Member

It's really a good figure. I just wish it didn't have that prototype feeling...

8. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True. Granted one can also "Premiumize" it themself with little more than a silver Sharpie, since silver is mostly what it's lacking. :) 

9. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

It's so beautiful. :'( June should be tomorrow.
    Any chance we could get a shot of the underside of the vehicle mode? I'm just curious to see what parts (if any) can be made out.

10. RHALX

RHALX Well-Known Member

It won't be released before June? Is there any official release date yet? Maybe we'll know what the Japanese version will look like even before that one is released.

I don't know if Takara would have the guts to release such an unpainted product in Japan.

11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, the headlights are clear plastic inserts.

12. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

13. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just like the first movie Prime, this will be the first movie toy I pick up when they hit stores. Awesome pics Peaugh:thumb 

14. two_hand

two_hand photo addict

wooww!! must buy nuff said.. either with flat grey/premium shinny metallic lol

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    WOW WOW WOW. Need it, want it, will own it!

Peaugh, are the red plastics on his shoulders (that are actually metal-gray in the movie and on the original movie1 Prime) vital to his transformation ( do they turn up somewhere and supposed to be red), or are they not visible in vehicle mode? I'm thinking of repainting those bits for extra accuracy (maybe the feet as well).

16. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Really badass looking. Can't wait for the video review!

17. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Peaugh, can we get a shot of him in robot mode grouped with some of the Movie Autobots - Ironhide or Bumblebee especially - for size comparison?

I appreciate the TF1 Prime comparison, but I never picked him up (and am happy I skipped him now, too).

Thanks again for sharing.

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Those red bits are all hidden in vehicle mode. The should bits are inside the cab/engine area, and the toes are hidden in the undercarriage.

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks! Makes me wonder why they made them red plastics though..ah well. Good to know they're easy to fix if I want to, without harming the vehicle look. :)  Looking forward to the video review!

20. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Sure!

[​IMG]