Heavy/Scratch: ROTF Leader Optimus Prime - Version 4.0

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MonkeyBusiness, Dec 21, 2011.

1. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

So, the last time I posted my personal Optimus Prime, I had just done some detail work, but not a full repaint.

This time, I went all the way back to basics and started from scratch.

From a mods perspective, he's somewhat loaded. First, I replaced the head LED with a nice 5mm blue one. The hands are Fakebusker83's movie accurate hands, done in black with drybrushing and gold accents. The arches on his feet were hollowed out as well. The wheel mod is from savio-prime (designed by OMEGAPRIME1983).

Something I'm particularly proud of is the new mounting for the swords and hooks.

I had previously used magnets, but I found that they weren't working so well. So, I cleared out all the old hot glue residue, and made new 5mm ports in his forearms using Apoxie Sculpt. I drilled out a small cavity on the swords and hooks, and mounted 5mm pegs. So, now the swords and hooks mount securely in his arms.

Paintwise, I disassembled him completely, including the lower legs. They're a pain to do, but I did it anyway. I gave him a complete coat of Model Masters Flat Black Acrylic, then drybrushed with Model Masters Aluminum.

After that, it was detail work. Blue and red for the panels and detail work, gold and silver everywhere else. Chrome silver for the tanks and boxes.

You may notice the "arsenal of freedom" I have lined up. Well, what's Optimus without his toys? I scratchbuilt an ion blaster using a TFTM Leader Prime blaster, then built two Buster cannons using parts from a scrapped Prime. The face is, obviously, the one from the original toy, with the HFTD Prime one mounted.

And just for shiggles, I picked up a Lunarfire Prime and did his other gun too.

It took three years, four revisions, and three Primes, but I finally got him to a point I'm happy with.

Now someone talk me out of picking up Jetwing and Buster Prime and doing this all over again, twice. :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Seeker7

Seeker7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very impressive.:thumb 

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great repaint, however, the wheel mods aren't zilidjain's. I don't mean to be rude, but the concept is mine, with parts made by savio prime.

4. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Very nice, love the hands. But I have to correct you. The wheel mod was created by savio prime, not by zildjan. :) 

5. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

Awesome job! nothing is better than accessories with a custom prime :) 

6. MonkeyBusiness

My bad! I'll correct it in the post!

Speaking of which, is savio-prime still making those? I may be in the market for three pairs in the next few months. Also, have you considered Shapeways, rather than custom casting?

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, I appreciate it, and I'm sure savio will as well (proper credit and all). As for shapeways, I don't know a thing about 3D modeling, so it's not really my cup of tea. Besides, as nice as shapeways stuff is, I think savio primes casting are stronger and will last longer as time goes by. Your project does however hold merit, and does look very nice. You should have tried your hand at either frenzyrumbles flame stencils. They look really good when well done :thumb .

8. CooljazCustoms

CooljazCustoms Autocon/Deceptibot

Ebay:
    pretty nice job there!

i also have a set of those wheel mods from Savio, and they make the figure all the more figure Hasbro should have made.

only nitpick is that it seems you went thru a lot to paint and mod the figure, so pin-striping the flames would have set this figure over the edge :) 

9. MonkeyBusiness

Savio's parts are phenomenal; no complaints there. My thinking was that essentially outsourcing to Shapeways could decrease order times and take a load off Savio's plate. Since it looks like they've already been rendered, it shouldn't be difficult to put them in a format Shapeways can produce. I'd be willing to bet Fakebusker83 or one of the other members would be willing to help.

Frenzy_rumbles flame stencils are amazing, no doubt. However, I don't have an airbrush, and don't really have the funds available to buy one in the forseeable future. Consequently, redoing the hood and fenders would be impossible once I removed the original paint without sending it to someone.

10. HotCheetozzzzzz

HotCheetozzzzzz Member

Holy crap :O awesome!

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Completely understandable. I unfortunately just jacked one of the stencils for my project up due to using the wrong kind of tape :( . I contacted TOBY about a set from him possibly. Good luck to you, and if I can get these stencils to work out for me, I'll hit you up with aPM about maybe doing a set for you as well :thumb .

12. CooljazCustoms

CooljazCustoms Autocon/Deceptibot

Ebay:
    from my understanding, i dont think all of shapeways products are made the same, or in the same material as the custom piece by Savio-Prime, i think over all his pieces would hold up much better and last a lot longer... cant skimp when looking for a good product :) 

13. MonkeyBusiness

Very tempting. If it works out, I'll check out the photos and let you know. If you do chrome work too, I may have you do that as well.

14. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope, chrome isn't my thing. I heaver my stuff metalized :D 

15. MonkeyBusiness

Nice. I wouldn't mind having the appropriate parts metallized.

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Chrometechusa.com dude... However that requires painting panels as well, :/.

17. Duwian

Duwian Wants FoC EVERYTHING

This is awesome! You should post pics of him with the hooks and guns too! Best Prime I've ever seen!

18. SantaClaus

SantaClaus Well-Known Member