Heavy/Scratch: RotF leader Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hthrun, Jun 20, 2011.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Completed mods
    - Transformable murder arm using a variation of MonkeyBusiness' tutorial: Post #2, updated in Post #9
    - Murder arm elbow: Post #9. Improved: Post #11
    - Create interchangeable arms featuring encline's custom hands and Mech Tech ports. WIP: Post #12
    - Interchangeable weapons: Post #16
    - Improve look of arms: Post #18
    - Full paint job: Post #19
    - Better connector for alt mode cannon: Post #36
    - Mod a voyager RotF Megatron claw to be interchangeable with this Megatron: Post #36
    - NEW forearms: Post #37

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. hthrun

Ebay:
    Murder Claw

I first tried MonkeyBusiness' tutorial using some left over hinges from RotF deluxe Ravage's tail. But I was afraid I wouldn't apply them both straight, so I got a little help from Makeshift:
    [​IMG]

First, I sliced him in half...
    [​IMG]

And removed some parts and pins (my first time removing pins :)  ). I then attached the claw halves to those pieces, which in turn I attached to Megatron.
    [​IMG]

This gave the claw more articulation:
    [​IMG]

I also wanted to keep the sword from flapping, but not remove it's ability to flip out. First I hand drilled a hole through it:
    [​IMG]

Then I used a couple claws from Ravage's back feet to help hold it in place:
    [​IMG]

I had to extend those claws a little bit with a couple spikes from Ravage's back. They're still on the original pins. After shaving down the round parts of the claws, the pins were able to snugly fit into a couple screw holes already on Megatron.

I also added a Lego connector so the claw halves could stay together:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Nice work. I used the leg hinges from ROTF Mudflap for mine.

4. hthrun

Ebay:
    Yeah, I remember reading that in your tutorial. I didn't want to sacrifice my Mudflap, though :) 
    And big thanks for putting that tutorial together:thumbs2: 

5. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    To save your Mudflap, BUY THE HA ONE!!!!!!! I love mine! I bought a deluxe Mudflap just for this mod which I still haven't done...

Your's looks good though!

ps poor makeshift! :lolol 

6. hthrun

Ebay:
    LOL, I have BOTH Mudflaps :thumbs2: 

7. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    then why didnt you MURDER the deluxe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

8. hthrun

Ebay:
    I like him :)  I even did the shoulder mod on him :) 

9. hthrun

Ebay:
    Murder Arm Elbow

I've finished the elbow for Meg's murder arm. I used Lego Technic pegs to make it removable for when I create two new interchangeable arms.
    The first pic shows the inside of Meg's upper arm, where I put in a Lego socket and some pieces of plastic I cut from a building block to make the fit tighter. All the pegs still have a tendency to slip out, so I'll try adding finger nail polish over time...
    The second pic shows the Lego sockets for the cannon, which can still fire its missile. I wanted to give it a wrist, but the cannon was too heavy to be supported by just one peg. So instead it can be attached "vertically" or at a 90 degree angle.
    The third pic shows where the elbow connects to the cannon. The two side bars keep the cannon from flopping back and forth. The fourth pic is the connector that goes to Meg's upper arm.
    The next three pics are close-ups of the elbow piece. It's made from a Beast Machine Nightscream knee with pieces from a Ravage and Gundam toys attached. I plan on doing some final clean-up and painting once I get done with the new arms. There are pieces that align in such a way to give the cannon support when it's fully extended.

The cannon can still be attached in vehicle mode such that pushing the button will generate the sounds. In this configuration, the elbow piece can't be stored anywhere. The elbow can be attached in vehicle mode, giving the turret and cannon its usual articulation.

Also, as can be seen in the last two pics, I reworked the claw a little bit. I removed the Ravage and Lego pieces that held the parts in place and now us magnets instead. Works MUCH better now ;) 

Attached Files:

10. AndyHibbsCustom

AndyHibbsCustom Well-Known Member

liking alot!!!! may do this in the future!!

11. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks! I made some changes to the elbow so it would stay on better. Here are some pics, but unfortunately the apoxie sculpt now has hardened the upper arm closed so I can't take interior pics. I'll try to explain what I did...

The Lego pieces I used before didn't hold well at all. They fell out very easily and I had to really steady the toy for poses. I remembered how well these other pieces were working on my Devastator project, so I pulled everything apart and redid it. The connection of the elbow to the weapon is pretty straight forward...

Inside the upper arm, I put in some apoxie sculpt and took a little round Lego piece that the new elbow connector can go on. With that piece on a Lego rod as is now attached to the elbow, I turned it in the apoxie sculpt to make a type of mold, but not leaving the piece in. I did this on one side, let it dry overnight, then did it on the other side. So now the round Lego piece fits in there perfectly and can still turn.

Then I used some apoxie sculpt to put in a second Lego piece below the turning one, a bar with a hole in it. This piece is permanently attached in the arm. I then added apoxie sculpt on the elbow's connector so it would hold firm in that hole. I'm going to do sanding and painting after I finish Megatron's other arms...

I hope that makes sense. I'm more than happy to answer any questions...

Attached Files:

12. hthrun

Ebay:
    New forearms WIP

This has probably been my most fulfilling custom work! May not be the best, but I think it's made the biggest difference of a toy before and after. I'm going to do some more work to make them look better, but right now they're fully functional with Mech Tech ports! Again, big thanks to encline for those hands!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking good dude!

14. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks! I was ready to just do some sanding and start painting, but then one of my kids left out a Burgerking DotM Megatron toy. I think it will work perfectly for decorating the arms!

15. Huy WaH Woo

Huy WaH Woo Bumble-HuY

Ebay:
    Excellent job H! Can't wait till its finishd!

16. hthrun

Ebay:
    Interchangeable Weapons

Thanks Tuan!

I recently made a couple weapons that can be subbed in for his hands. One is the mace and chain from MP Megatron. The other is the claw from FAB RotF Megatron with a launching missile and flip-out dagger. I plan on adding some plastic to the claw to cover the ball joint, allowing it to still rotate but not fold up and down, left and right...

It can sure take a long time to cut plastic and use Apoxie Sculpt :)  And it can take a long time to set up a home made light box. If I can't start getting better results, I may just go back to a flash...

Attached Files:

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome stuff man, I just acquired one and am trying to fix the damn arms. Yurs is definitely inspiring

18. hthrun

Ebay:
    Arms complete

Thanks, D-Unit!

I think I'm all done with the arms and am ready to start painting! I still have to add a few more bits to the murder arm...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Painted!

All done painting! The only other time I painted an entire figure so far was DotM Sideswipe, and that was just one color. This is the first time I layered paints. Though the pics may not completely look it, I'm very pleased with how he came out.

I also really like the versatility the arms and tank mode have now! I've got a RotF voyager Megatron claw coming that I'll mod to also work with this Megatron. Other than that, I think he's done!

Attached Files:

20. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    Awesome custom! :thumbs2: