ROTF Leader Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Trippanator, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Now that he is 35 and comes with camshaft I might as well pick him up. What can anyone tell me about him? Is he really that good or should I go with Jetfire? Either or don't really want Optimus.

2. anabolik1

anabolik1 Banned

Just my preference (of course) I say go with Prime and Jetfire.

My favorite movie Megs is the voyager except for the paint job.

The scary movie "strong hand" of Leader Megs is too hilarious to be a part of my collection :lolol 

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm going to wait for the inevitable TF3 Leader Class Megatron (I can't see them not making a new & better mold for him). I got Leader Prime, as there's really not all that much they could improve upon with him. As for Jetfire, I don't plan to get him, as I honestly think that the forced combining gimmick ruined the figure. Though if I see him for sale, and I don't have anything else I need or want to get, I might get him. I also haven't actually seen him in-person yet, so he might actually look better once I actually see him, lol.

4. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I think Leader Megs gets to much hate personally. I really like him! Sure he has shortcomings, but what figure in this incarnation doesn't?

Anyway, It's always down to personal preference, but I think he's pretty cool.

Besides, what do you have to lose? If you don't like him, pack him back up and return him.

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Leader Megs is under-rated because he's mostly based on earlier concept art and not the final movie design.

He's a fine and fun figure.

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i couldnt stand mine, tf'ed him like 3 times, then sold him off
    lame big arm, poor head articulation, and small gimpy arm
    it takes alot of modding to make him cool, and to me it wasnt worth it

7. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Seems like he is alot like Energon Shockblast...hmmm I love Energon Shockblast

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's a pretty good figure. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it.

9. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

i'm waiting for the shadow commander one, its the same mold but just a darker color.

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is pretty cool. Better than Jetfire alone, but not as good as Prime.

But in the end it is your money, so you will end up making the decision regardless of what we say.

11. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    e shockblast is much better, in regards that he can turn his head more, and he has a useful other hand, unlike megs

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    He's okay and HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT PRIME?

13. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought Megatron and I am fine with it, its wasn't a garbage mold like the previous movie's Megatron at least.

His arm cannon really should had elbow articualtion.

14. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Is that all you're gonna harp on? His head movement and cannon arm?

15. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i like how megatron screams "I am megatron." if u could, i'd also go for jetfire prime combo. megatron is cool, but i wish his left arm had a bit more meat.

16. Irv Gotti

Irv Gotti I'm Rick James B%#ch!!

The problem isn't just that ROTF Leader Megs is based off an earlier concept, but that the Leader toy is substandard when compared to the other ROTF toys. One problem is the lack of articulation. Second problem is the alt mode, which is a box with treads. Related to this issue is the overall design is truly lackluster. The Mech Alive gimmick incorporated moving parts into toy designs and Megatron's very transformation and design would have benefited the most from the Mech Alive gimmick. Instead, the toy designers came up with a Leader toy that is only a SLIGHT improvement over the '07 release of Megatron. As far as NOT getting the ROTF Leader Prime:confused: ; you are missing out on getting what is arguably the best of the bunch :thumb  out of the Movies line.

17. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Thing with prime is I really dont want him for some reason right now..I will pick him up within a few months but at the time now I dont really want him

18. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I say get ROTF Megatron. It is really underrated. At first I was 'forced' into buying Megatron to get Prime (Prime was rare in my country) and I'm glad I made that decision. Megatron is really fun. The lack of articulation on my right arm doesn't bother me much and the left arm is good too. The best part is the transformation is fun, not too easy nor too complex. To my surprise, I actually enjoy playing with Megatron instead of Prime

19. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Get Prime before Megatron, he is the better figure by far, but Megs is nice too

20. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Assuming that there's no changes to Megatron's over all design for TF3, the (hopefully) fortcoming new Leader of his should rock as much as RotF's Leader Prime does. Jetfire is far superior in person. As a jet, he has a lot of underside kibble that is a little off-putting, I agree. But then there are very few aeroplane Transformers that don't suffer from this problem. In robot mode and when combined with Optimus, he looks great. The knees are a little funny -- in that they can collapse under his weight if you don't position him properly; having him hunched over as if the cane/landing gear are supporting him works for my Jetfire. There is one thing, though: his voice clip sounds like Shrek. Other than that, "Shrekfire" is really rather pleasing.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a slightly altered head mould for the Shadow Commander release. I don't think it was on this site, though.

Oh, I quite like the first Leader figure. I can't really identify what it is about him that I like, but it has something. Except for the sound effects. That shrieking is awful. On the subject of the new Megatron Leader, I heartily agree. His cannon arm should have been articulated. (It is from that starting point that my comic on here springs...)

As for offering a suggestion as to which figure to buy, Megatron is pretty good. He'd look better with a Premium paint job and a slightly meatier arm, but he's not a completely awful figure. He was amongst the first things that I bought from the RotF line and, while I regret buying him first over the absolute joy and awesome that is RotF Leader Prime, I am not sorry that I bought the Megatron figure. He is by no means as dire as some would have you believe. He has a solid tank mode, an interesting transformation that's nowhere near as hear-tearingly irritating as some figures', and his robot mode's only drawback is its lack of screen-accuracy. It's the alteration of the Megatron CGI model that causes this toy to look so strange on first glance. If you can get past the fact that he doesn't match what you have seen in the movie, then there is really no problem with RotF Leader Megatron.

Jetfire, as I have said is also pretty good. His transformation is fun and suitably complex for a toy in the Leader-class. The jet mode has its fair share of robot mode kibble on the underside -- most notable the arms directly beneath the nose section -- but it is a huge alt mode; I don't recall there being anything larger than this bad boy. His robot mode is pretty accurate to RotF's CGI. There seems to be a little too much blue paint on him for a character who seemed primarily black and those odd clip-things near his shoulders to aid in the combination process, but other than that he's great. Above I passed comment on his knees, but that's not a significant thing as all you really need to do is hunch him over as he is in the film.

You mentioned that you were thinking of eventually buying the new Optimus Prime. If you really are going to buy Optimus in the long-run, then I would suggest getting Jetfire. If you're anything like me, you're going to want to see what they look like when combined for yourself and you're going to want to atleast once give combining them a go yourself.

Although, if you really can't decide between the two, wait for Leader Starscream.