Minor/Repaint: ROTF Leader Megatron WIP: Ratchet Arm, Non shaking head....

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TonyzCustomz, Apr 7, 2009.

1. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok so I had this guy for a while now with this done but thought that people could care to see how the arm would look with a ratchet joint and not a Ball joint(not a jab at F_r) as from the get go I wanted a ratchet arm because I thought it would be a better suited joint for such a large arm and I am sure it will be even heavier once painted up. Sliced the arm off right where the axe hinge is and the part looks over lapped. Took the first screw out of the arm and glued it together and drilled out a hole big enough for the Ratchet joint hole plug to fit in(Many thanks to Ptitvite for spilling the beans on these great connector pieces, so durable and easy to work with.). The bottom portion of the arm is kinda difficult as where you have to drill out the spot is where the mechanics are for the cannon noise button which is activated by the same piece that shoots the weapon. So when cutting make sure to stay high and not totally disconnect the pice thats in there and when you glue, make sure you fix it to the top portion of the arm as well and not to gunky as you could end up locking the firing mechanism as well.

I did shave off quite a bit of excess plastic so the joint has better range of motion but I think I need a little more still and I will be doing some major cleanup so ignore all the extra glue. lol Thanks for reading and hope this is of any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    that's really cool. Remind me of revoltech joints. But these seem bigger. Where do you get them?

iDD

3. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

I believe there Lego Exo-Force Joints. I have about a dozen of these and plan on doing the same when I get mine at Botcon, most likely. They Are quiet stronge, I used them for my Lego versions of Movie Prime, Nemisis, & Magnus back in the day. Great idea useing them instead of a ball joint. I think that they'll hold up a bit better this way (no attack on F_R idea thou.).

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think the ratchet joint might work better.

And I'd also like to know where you got them.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I'll chime in/opinion since this is a variation of the (same) mod I did with ball joint. Like I said in the other thread, the hollow forearm is hardly something to worry about overpowering the ball joint type I selected. Good ball joints are very tight. The arm freely moves into unlimited position. Another important factor is only from the front of my Megatron's arm can you see any cosmetic difference. The ball joint/socket is small and discreet enough, and does not lengthen the arm even a millimeter. But in the end, I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. I'm glad to see I've inspired the mod however, it's so necessary ;)  I have other ones I'll be posting soon.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    You're taking too much credit man, I and several others thought of that mod well before seeing your pictures. :) 

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hehe, I've technically thought of every mod possible, but haven't had the chance to execute 99% of them...yet. ;) 

8. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    One little thing that bugs me is the head. It turns, but the Mechalive mecanism recenters it automatically. Would need to find a way to make the head independant from the gimmick.

Also, had to fix the spring for the blade, it was kinda weak. Now the blade fully extends with a snap!

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, I stare at that head trying to figure out if it's worth independently articulating, and how complex the mech alive connected to it really is. Plus the electronics in there, looks like a can of worm that doesn't want to get opened. You're right though, it needs help.

You happen to put your ROTF meg next to the original ldr megs? Amazing how much better and larger this newer one is. The original looks like like poop next to this guy.

10. Tanker

Tanker Active Member

O.ô

11. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I did... I like the new one better, but somehow I'm still a fan of Movie 1 Premium Megatron. :) 

12. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Same here. I take a figure through my mind about a million times and think of ways to improve it. I just lack the time and for some part the skills to do so.

It's great to see how some Radicons come up with the greatest solutions in the simplest of ways (neo shifter arms !).

Giving meg's arm a joint in this case is not really an original idea as every arm should have a joint there. It's just a matter of how you execute it here.

iDD

13. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Theres no possibility that some people think of the same ideas? :rolleyes: 

14. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm gonna back up FR here - I've come up with a good handful of ideas for most of my figures; but like iDD, haven't tried most of them for fear of damaging a figure that's just waiting to be made much more perfect.

There's nothing wrong with being an idea man & I don't think FR was trying to take all the credit, just stake his claim that he thought of the idea on his own, w/o outside influence.

But hey, history is full of multiple people having the same great idea at the same time (telephones, radios, cheetos...) with one person taking the credit. I'm more of a "stood on the shoulders of genius's" kinda guy m'self & have no real shame in it - how bad is it to see how far someone has come & see a new direction it could go?

For example, using JS's shoulder fix for Deluxe Brawl, I took a recurrent idea of Deathwing (small hinges) & made a mod for Brawl that'll help him look very comparable to the LDR version - but more accurate...

So yeah, "can't we all just get along", or something?

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Lol.

16. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol

17. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I never told anyone, but I invented Doritos. Or at least they've been invented for me. :p 

18. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, LOL they are very similar to the "revolutionary":p  revoltech. I got these at an online lego store(bricklink.com) that sells pieces in bulk. The ones I used are called Black Technic Brick with Pin Hole and Rotation Joint Ball Half I think. Lots of good conversation in Ptitvite's devastator joints thread.

They are called technic but I am not sure of the actual kits they come from. The arm is fantastic with this joint in. I love when a joint actually locks into place and clicks around, one ove the reason I like a lot of the biger transformers.
    I vote for better too and look at my respose to iDD.
    I did think about the ball joint at first but I have had way to many loose ball joints that I fix only to eventually get loose again so I passed. Ratcheting joints from lego are damn strong, I'd say they can handle a pound easy and they have the basic appeal of revoltech with the clicking joints that stay put. I made it with the arm not even being longer as well so and I think the cosmetic difference will be minute in the end(its still a gigantic axe hand after all LOL.) And I hate to say this as it might start another define thread or something(I'm half kidding LOL) but this mod was done on megs about a month ago as I have had his for a while and if I posted it a day earlier then I would of inspired you right? Anyways to each his own and I am glad that we both took different avenues as now people can check out both options and choose for themselves.
    LOL QFT
    Like F_r mentioned lots of stuff can go wrong when opening up megs chest for the mod. I am going to try it and see what the verdict is soon(a large ball joint for the neck would be perfect and he could still look up in tank mode).

19. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I SWEAR! I was eating chips and salsa at a mexi restaurant and bam my sisters cheetos got knocked into the same bowl! The classic line from Reese's Peanut butter cups ensued and them bastards stole my idea!. LOL You too!

For those that never seen the comercial! lol

20. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer the clicky joints too. Thats why i love the leader class toys.