ROTF Leader Megatron Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    The last of the figures yet to get a pictorial review from this week's haul, it's Leader class Megatron!

This time out, Megatron is rebuilt from cannibalized Decepticons into a massive tank of doom!

[​IMG]

Despite his giant alt mode of destruction, and his new crankier attitude thanks to his humilation, Megatron still keeps his head visible in alt mode, the better to continue his "research" and spot anyone who might dare to cross him:

[​IMG]

Other than that, tank mode is just big and imposing. Not the greatest design, but also suffering from poor packaging pics. He's actually much better proportioned than those pics make him look. Still not PERFECT, but a lot better when you can see the figure in person.

[​IMG]

Thrusters on the rear for jet propulsion?

[​IMG]

And a quick size comparison to the deluxe seeker mold:

[​IMG]

Transformation is satisfying clicky and involved, and you end up with a robot that is a good match for Leader Prime:

[​IMG]

Arms could be better proportioned, and the robot mode is a little less stellar than alt mode, but again, the figure makes a better impression in person than pics have shown. Pushing down on the gold button on his chest activates the " I AM MEGATRON!", makes his chest kibble move and his head turn back and forth, and spins some gears inside his chest. He's also got a cannon noise you'll probably hear during transformation, but I haven't found a reliable way of activating it yet. EDIT: There's a TINY button where his cannon arm snap into place that activates the sounds when you rotate his arm, and if you have the turret snapped into place in tank mode, pushing the missile button will activate the sounds as well.

Here's me playing with my camera's macro function:

[​IMG]

Just a quick side shot so you can see how the treads sit:

[​IMG]

Those treads actually make him remarkably stable, despite his top heaviness. He can actually hold some pretty decent action poses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall a pretty decent figure, if not great, but if you can only get one Leader, go with Prime, he's just a LOT more awesome all around. If you can afford both and want someone to square off with Prime, Megatron makes a good sparring partner for him. He's a solid figure that could've benefited from a little more time in the designers hands. He's good, but not enough to get a wholeheartedly enthusiastic recommendation. The voyager version should be here tomorrow, so we'll see if maybe we can crown a champion then.

Video review is available here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...7478-peaugh-reviews-rotf-leader-megatron.html

2. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Moving the arm up and down in robot mode triggers the firing sound.

3. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Could you please take a few pictures showing off his articulation?

4. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    If it weren't for that gimp arm, I would be all over him. He does look menacing in alt mode. Great review!

5. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I just came here to update that. Also, if you have the turret snapped into place in tank mode, pushing the missile button will activate the sounds as well.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    There are two pics in your review that seem to be duplicates.

As for the figure himself, he looks much better in tank mode there than we've seen before. Do you think he'd be able to pull the turtle/Animated Ratchet tread configuration? The gimp arm doesn't bother me, but I don't actually like it. Great looking.

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Whoops, guess I copied the same link twice. Fixed.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The 3rd and 4th images are still showing up as the same image on my screen.

Thanks for the review and pics. I think the voyager will top this one, however the dedicated triple weapon arm on this one is cool, I just hate how it killed elbow articulation.

It does seem spot on with the initial concept art, which in itself may have lacked a functional elbow(maybe the designers really did want an elbowless giant triple changing arm of doom?), while the voyager, like the voyager Prime from TF1, definitely seems to have been designed later on while the character design was nearly finished.

A friend of mine was talking to me, after I told her how disappointed I was in the arm. She thinks there is definitely a reason for that weapon arm to not have an elbow. My current theory is that there was no elbow in the initial CGI design at all. There is ample space for an elbow joint on the toy yet it was not implemented, and for a Leader class figure, this hasn't happened in years. So this would explain why this figure lacks a right elbow, while the voyager one(which also looks more accurate to the recent renders and has weapons on both arms) has elbows on both arms.

9. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I think the arm is only meant to have 2 modes (claw mode, blade mode) because if you leave the arm in "pure cannon" mode, the minute you will try moving the arm out the top of the turret will start popping off because its rear part and the blade will push against the black shoulder part. Same thing in tank mode, moving the cannon up will make the turret pop off. It's really meant to be clicked into place both at the front AND the back in tank mode.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hate the gimpy arm, but everything else looks really nice. Tank mode looks just plain mean.

11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Better now?

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Still going to get this figure. He's simply, yes, but looks satisfyingly solid and intimidating. Hopefully I won't regret buying him when he's out here...

And looks like the main thing ruining his altmode are the struts(?) next to his head, they really fudge with the aesthetic of the design...Wonder what it will look like without them, though the robot mode might suffer for it.

13. Vladakris

Vladakris Predacon

The new Prime is an amazing Leader mold, and I cant wait to get my hands on it.

Megs on the other hand, I was in love with till I saw the new 2 minute clip. The leader megatron really does look alright but I feel like im getting cheated his arms anyways. The leader mold lacks the giant cannon in the middle of the claw, like say the voyager has. Ill still get it, but I feel the experience just wont be there. The little flip down "sword" they have on the leader mold just doesnt look right. I dont mind the lack of silver I can do that my self fair enough........No articulation in his cannon arm is really dissapointing, and sadly im not to skillzy yet to add that. though the lack of articulation doesnt bother me really at all compared to the lack of the claw.

Peaugh if you wouldnt mind could I see a couple pics with the sword thing flipped down I'd like to get a better look at it.

Other than that he looks awesome

14. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Sure thing, I'll get to it in the morning.

15. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice review. Megs need better treatment when it comes to toys.

16. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Here you go Vladakris. Shots of the arm weapon deployed with the sword flipped up and activated:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Such an imposing looking figure, if it had the ball joint in the right arm I'd be sold. Awesome looking none the less. Mind doing a request picture btw? Have him stepping on some poor Autobot or something along those lines. Maybe RotF Starscream.

18. KowBot

KowBot Well-Known Member

I don't like how the open mouth makes him look like blow-up doll.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    ???

The hell kinda blow-up dolls you lookin' at, boy?

20. DinoTarant

DinoTarant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]