ROTF Leader Megatron - More than a somewhat forgotten oddity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, May 31, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Not really expecting revelations to come outa this topic, but are people still hella high on/looking for this figure (be it in regular colours or the shadow commander), and what's been the appeal to those who have or are otherwise in the hunt?

Personally, I love the alt mode (this was always its main allure for me) and the fact that it's a solid character representation doesn't seem like something that'll go away. However at the same time, the robot mode hasn't exactly wooed me the way Starscream's has, and I can't help but feeling that maybe its one of those more select market type of oddities that's largely driven by a lower active supply, rather than a very active demand, if that makes any sense.

So yeah, thoughts & whatnot are welcome (kinda why the thread exists hah), and for those of you who were into this stuff for a while now, how have your opinions changed over the years?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I liked the shadow commander figure; especially when i got it on clearance. I dont know that its an oddity per se though. This brings another thought to mind: Does anyone still covet to have a Leader TF1 Megatron?

3. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    I dont mind him having a small arm it adds the the charector a little bit but a larger arm would of been better.

4. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    I have one still and a TF1 optimus (untill I can get the roft leader :/)

5. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    fwiw I remember craploads of each clogging shelves and being clearanced, so no, I don't think there was any scarcity factor going on here.

it just wasn't that great a figure so a lot of people slacked on it. for whatever reason, maybe collectors/completists and such are looking to finish their lines now...one person paid the extreme now everyone else in ebay land follows suit. sometimes it only takes one completed auction to set things off.

nevertheless, I still snagged a shadow commander when he was on shelves. I dig the figure, though he's suffered a kneepad break due to transformation. I'd like to get a junker to fix him eventually, but fuck these prices. I can wait to find one at a flea market or resale shop.

6. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I didn't get the first release, but I have the Shadow Command version. I dig him a lot, weird arm and all. His alt mode is pretty nice too. I don't see him being worth what he is going for on ebay at the moment, but for less than retail he was a good pick up.

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm.

I just looked on ebay. I did see one actual action that had hit somewhere around $100, then I see a bunch of expensive BIN listings. Are those actually selling that high?

I actually prefer the movie design of ROTF to Tf1 and DOTM, and really he may be the best leader Megatron they've done. But the toy still falls painfully short.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really dig ROTF Megatron. The design and engineering for all the that line really improved a lot for Megatron, Optimus and Starscream. IMO the puny left arm could have improved but it is still a good figure.

I think people are hunting him now because as a display piece he looks good besides leader class Sentinel and Optimus.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I kinda wrote off those hella high ones, but the ones around or just over the 100 dollar mark seemed pretty consistent, so it got me thinkin' haha.

10. Salty

Salty Fritobot

I had one of these from retail, hated it, regretted the purchase for over a year then put it on ebay loose no box. Had no clue what they were selling for and my auction topped out at 90.00 I think...that was by far the best thing about the figure. My sale was an auction not a 'buy it now'.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I picked mine up for $30 at walmart, messed with it for a bit then stuck it on the shelf. A month ago I flipped it to a guy for $120 after starting the auction at $20.

Just wish I'd bought some of the many Shadow Command versions K-mart had on sale. Those are the ones really worth some scratch.

12. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally like it alot. He is the best leader movie megatron we got, he is HUGE and imposing, probably the biggest movie leader in terms of bulk, and he just oozes the character on screen. I traded about $100 bucks worth of stuff to get mine because that's what I felt was a good price (although I would have a hard time spending $100 on him).

13. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    A lot of people back then hated ROTF Megatron one of the reasons was cause of his arm so he became a shelfwarmer, all the while Prime and Jetfire sold like hot cakes. Back then there were so many readily available people didn't care much. Now, since he is obviously only available through the secondary market, people can go crazy paying what they think is suitable to fill their needs, since they know now they have no choice to pay higher prices if they want the figure before it gets really expensive.

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    The reason it was a shelf warmer was because of the shitty alt mode. The Voyager release had the screen accurate alt mold. The Leader release looked nothing like it did on screen. Why would people spend the extra money for a non-accurate toy when they can get a better one for less?

15. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This is what happens when customizers burn through stock, hahaha. Everyone and their mother was busy making these movie-accurate Megatrons, and driving up the rarity.

16. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same with Primus and Unicron, really (more for Primus). So many were butchered for the DeviUniPristator that finding one for a decent price can be an issue.

17. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I think people just slept on this figure, and then never getting a decent leader class fig for DoTM just made the plastic crack jones worse.

I grabbed it as part of a TRU bogo deal, with RoTF Leader Prime and a few other things, he's pretty rad. brb doing a Nelson HAHA at everyone who never got one because I did! ;) 

18. AMG

AMG Old School

I've always been a fan of the figure. He's huge, powerful looking and has a lot of detail. I like the figure just as much now as the day I got it.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I only regret not picking up Leader Brawl.

20. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh man, leader brawl is impressive. traded a FE prime for one and regret nothing!