Heavy/Scratch: ROTF Leader class Megatron wiith new cannon & flail!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OmarJT82, Jun 15, 2009.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now this is the Megatron I envisioned for ROTF ever since I saw the promo pics. One with a retractable cannon and working flail as seen in the 2007 Movie. Wasn’t feeling the whole arm/cannon with sword vibe it’s got. So I replaced the right arm of my own ROTF Leader class Megatron with the right arm from my own 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron along with the new flail I made for it (See post New & Improved Flail on 2007 Movie Premium Megatron) and added a brand new cannon. In addition, I also painted his inner lower legs and his sides with red Testors paint as a nod to his G1 coloration (see pics 001 to 004).

If you already have ROTF Leader class Megatron and hate it’s arm/cannon with sword. Here’s how you can make one just like this for yourself.

Materials required:

1) 1 black Paper Mate Erasermate Pen
    2) 1 short thin nail
    3) 3 red office push pins
    4) Gorilla Glue
    5) Small screwdriver
    6) Strong scissors
    7) Very rough sandpaper or metal file

Now follow these steps:

A) TO REPLACE THE ARM:

STEP 01) Remove the right arm/cannon, spring and the ridged top ring from ROTF Leader class Megatron by removing the 4 screws on the black shoulder guard with small screwdriver.

STEP 02) Remove the right arm, spring and ridged rings from 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron (if you have one already) by unscrewing the 2screws on the black shoulder guard.

NOTE on STEP 02: The 2 shoulder pieces on 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron are glued together so you have to pry them apart with careful force.

STEP 03) Pry apart the black shoulder guard on ROTF Leader class Megatron and place the ridged side of the top gray ring from 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron on the ridged side of the bottom white ring on ROTF Leader class Megatron by inserting it through the joint rod in ROTF Leader class Megatron’s black shoulder guard.

STEP 04) First insert the spring from ROTF Leader class Megatron through the rod and on top of the gray ridged top ring from 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron and then insert the arm from 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron though the rod.

NOTE on STEP 04: The joint end on 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron’s arm has a notch where the small protrusion from the gray top ridged ring fits.

STEP 05) Place all 4 screws back onto ROTF Leader class Megatron’s black shoulder guard.

B) TO CREATE THE NEW CANNON:

STEP 01) Run one of the three red push pins into the black projection on 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron, cut it in half, then smooth it out with that same very rough sandpaper or a metal file.

NOTE on Step 01: The cut-in-half red push pin on that projection is to keep the cannon leveled at a slightly higher point (see pic 008).

STEP 02) Cut off the back end of the black Paper Mate Erasermate Pen (where you place the cap), smooth out where it was cut and then use one of the last tow red push pins to create a hole that runs through the top and bottom.

STEP 03) Force the short thin nail into that hole from the top, uncut end.

STEP 04) Remove the blade like projection from the front end of 2007 Movie Leader class Premium Megatron’s right cannon and smooth out that area with either very rough sandpaper or a metal file (which ever works for you).

STEP 05) Use the last other red push pin to carefully make a hole on the middle of the smoothed out front area on the right cannon.

STEP 06) First place a drop of Gorilla Glue on top of that hole on the right cannon, then place the nail end of the cut-offed end of the black Paper Mate Erasermate Pen through and on top of that hole (see pic 006).

STEP 07) Wait 2 hours for the glue top harden.

NOTE on STEP 07: If you feel that the area inside the right cannon where the nail is inserted is in danger of being broken in the event you drop the figure, apply more Gorilla Glue in that area and wait 2 hours for the glue to harden completely. The applied, hardened glue acts like foundation to keep the new cannon from breaking off (see pic 007).

STEP 08) Shave off some of that hardened glue if you can’t place the cover of the right cannon back onto the hinge where the cannon opens to reveal the chains of the flail

STEP 09) Place the cap of the black Paper Mate Erasermate Pen on the black end with the hook upward.

If you’ve followed these steps in order and to the letter, your ROTF Leader class Megatron has a brand, new cannon and flail (see pics 001 to 004)!

NOTE: Pic 009 is an obvious homage to G1 Megatron!

If you have any concerns or questions about modifying your own ROTF Leader class Megatron this way, please send me a private message and I will get back to you ASAP!​

Attached Files:

2. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Neat idea. Doesn't look half bad. Not bad at all.

3. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

b-b-b-b-bitchin'!

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the flail

5. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Sorry I'm not liking but so long as you like it that's all that matters right.

6. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    fuse the old cannon with the new one

7. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I like the red painted bits!

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Paint that sucker purple with orange on that barrel cap, and you've got yourself a dead on ROTF Galvatron. Excellent imaginative work on him, and that flail is a nice touch. He needs something to strangle now......