ROTF Jumped the Shark

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Throwback, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Throwback

Throwback Well-Known Member

If began with soooo much potential, but as the story unfolded, the movie or should I say the writing began to fizzle. Megs looked weak and somewhat less relevant than the NBE-1 we thought we knew. The DEcepticon war machine was somewhat...............fragile. The next installment will definently have some holes to fill, and all in all the movie was a bit of a disappointment. Lots of good action though despite not having a very well-written plot.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    ^^^ I think this works for the movie. I agree there was a lot of things that would have been better if they were answered or expanded upon, but with that being said it made me want so much more. It kept me on the edge of my seat and now I am more than willing to wait for the 3rd film. I think as fans we should tell Bay to take that vacation he has wanted, be patient in making the 3rd film and hang back until 2012 . This movie made me a fan AGAIN.

3. jadtdt

jadtdt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Weak? He killed Prime. Then he got shot a billion times in a row in the finale, and was doing fine until Jetprime showed up.

EDIT: Also, made Starscream his little bitch over and over.

4. Throwback

The movie has taken me from 'bleeding mech fluid' to considering my Transfandom as pathetic as I have always view Trekkies.
    I mean it really killed my inner nerd.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If one story pulls you out of a 30 year franchise you probably weren't that big a fan to begin with.

6. Throwback

Gimmie a break J, it took 2 cohorts and an attack from behind for him to finish Prime. The humans handled Megs! I say let Petey write the franchise and give us some compelling stories. AGAIN: good action, poor writing.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I was gonna start a thread with a very similar title. I think I'll do it anyway.

8. Throwback

It was Beastwars bad. (intentional low blow from a G1 and Furman comics purist)

However

I'm gonna go see it again on tomorrow with my family, it's my destiny, and you can't destroy my DESTINY!

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    ITT: The term "jumped the shark" is used incorrectly.

10. Autobotic9

Autobotic9 Well-Known Member

I did notice that Meg's appearance was smaller and less intimidating.

11. DeadlyVenom

DeadlyVenom Active Member

If this is what it took to realize that Transformers aren't really worth obsessing over, then I don't think you were paying much attention to the cartoons.

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It's totally cool if you want your inner nerd to die, but why do you gotta diss everyone else's?

13. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Well-Known Member

Seriously. We all have our nostalgic feelings for G1, but today a lot of the stuff from there is laughable, as much as it pains me to say it.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:

15. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

Some of the things I read on this movie, I haven't yet seen a post about it, so as far as I know, I'll be the first on it. G1 only fan boys really, really hurt this franchise as it continues to MOVE ON. G2 they hated, Beast Wars they hated, Beast Machines they hated, Robots In Disguise they hated, Armada they Hated, Energon they hated, Cybertron they hated, Animated they hated, Live Action movies they hate too and probably the lines that didn't make TV like Alternators and Universe. My God, just go away, you bitter, irrelevant, unpleasable oldies just try and drag everyone down to your miserable depths. Don't get me wrong, ROTF ain't perfect, never was going to be. But this problem, I swear to God, makes modern Transfandom for anyone new to be in an undeniable future inconvenience not worth getting into and Transformers can be so much more pleasant than this. I can remember some no good G1ers with a lot of free time created an Anti-Beast Wars society and the 13 or 14 of them didn't just keep their disrespect there. One day all original TF fans won't be around and it's all going to be with fans who couldn't possibly have been alive when this thing stard in 1984 A.D. I just hope this miserable, seemingly undieing intolerance actually does go with the last of us.

Sorry, had to get that out.

16. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Why was the Fallen even needed for this story to work? So there would be a big bad guy to kill at the end? It would have all worked so much better with just Megatron.

If there was a jump the shark momment, it was when Jetfire used the Space Bridge. Because the movie became a lot less enjoyable after that.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Just to clarify since there are people that obviously have no idea what the term means:

"Jumping The Shark is the defining moment when an established show changes in a significant manner in an attempt to stay fresh. Ironically, that moment makes the viewers realise that the show has finally run out of ideas. It has reached its peak, it will never be the same again, and from now on it's all downhill. "

18. JB1323

JB1323 Member

I don't think Transformers has "jumped the shark" in the least. Was the movie the greatest thing ever? No. Were all of our expectations hyped beyond belief? Yes.

So it wasn't exactly the movie we wanted to see in some cases, but overall I enjoyed it, a lot, even with my little quibbles. Now if TF3 is atrocious, or does something ludicrous, like bring in the Headmasters theme, then we're talking jump the shark, but not yet.

19. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

I have not seen the flick yet, might go this weekend.
    The first one was meh. Didn't completely hate it, rate it somewhere around 4.5 to 5/10. Pretty looking and sorta entertaining for the most part, but dumb.

I like the transformers toys on the whole though. Which is what brought me here.

Yet, I'm not a G1 fan, never was a fan of transformers shows (cant stand any of them really) I would say it jumped the shark the moment Hasbro stuck a silly backstory onto basicly repackaged Japanese toys...

However, what I saw of animated was okay though, but not enough to make me want to catch each episode. There was a hint of depth to it, some thought was clearly put into it. And that got me curious.

What I expect out of a $200 million dollar movie about toys with a quarter century history is some connection, some story that allows me to see what many of you see in being fans of the franchise. What is the draw that inspires fan fiction, artwork, and websites such as this? There is a lot of talent here, Me thinks there must be more to draw people to the transformers than gimmicky toys and robots mindlessly bashing on each other. right?

However, If all this movie amounts to is robots, boobies, juvenile humor, and explosions...Well I can get my fill of all that online for free. Sorry CGI and action scenes usualy don't impress me, I can imagine far greater sights and vistas than anything ILM can dish out. I expect something more for my ticket price. I expect something more out a film that costs $200 million. I expect a story, to feel empathy for the characters, relate to thier challenges, ponder thier moral dilemmas, witness them grow and adapt as characters while they overcome thier obstacles and challenges. Seriously, this isn't Rock-em-Sock-em Robots: the movie(tm). This is Transformers, the catch phrase is "more than meets the eye", it has a 25 year history, this film cost $200 million...Is there actually more than meets the eye? To this film? To the Transformers story? Why would it be unreasonable to see such depth in these films?

20. Throwback

The fact of the matter is that each of us became fans because something hooked us. For me, a 30 year old father of two it was the 1984 cartoon, THE ORIGINAL MOVIE and the early comics. The charactors were established and any deviation from that to me is just...fake (or not what I fell for). And I don't recognize the other franchises as part of the continuity. For others of you, your addiction may have started elsewhere and I can respect that (no matter how whack I perceive those things to be).