ROTF Jetfire (leader class) Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

Sorry if this has been discussed before... but the search feature isn't helping me out here.

So what do you guys think of this figure? I like JF's character design, I love the SR-71 as an alt-mode, even the kibble underneath doesn't bother me too much...but man is this toy tiresome.

Getting it into jet mode was a pain in the butt... the arms have to be rotated one particualar way (that isn't evident from the tiny line drawings in the instructions), and even then, it feels like the plastic has to be forced/bent to get the fuselage halves together. The rest of the panel fitment reminds me of Big Convoy from BW Neo...equally as frustrating.

The sound chip is horrid (aside from the always welcome transformation sound) and adds nothing to the toy.

The Mech-Alive gimmick is much weaker than in Leader Megs and Prime

The dark blue on black color scheme is unappealing, the lack of paint on the robot mode head is disapppointing.

I don't know...I wasn't a fan of the movie but Jetfire was one of the highlights, IMO. I really wanted to like this toy but I find it to mostly be a miserable piece of crap.

Thoughts?

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. richyungsociety

richyungsociety Well-Known Member

This is exactly why i passed on buying Jetfire.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like his toy very much, he's pretty solid, and when you find the right position... he's just majestic.

The only real fan is that he doesn't evoke the characters spindly movie figure at all, which is why I hope for a Voyager that would fix that.

5. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Amazing just got him today, loved him. Looks nice combined with Prime, especially when you follow Peaugh's tip on the legs.

6. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Jetfire is an utterly, totally, completely horrible figure. Easily the worst leader class figure ever, even if you count energon Mighty Morphing Burger Bot.
    Tons of kibble even though the Legends and Fab both got it right, horrible soundclip, torso doesn't carry the slightest similiarity in design to the movie, transformation is lazy, cheap and fake, falls apart constantly, poorly disguised in vehicle mode, and a whole bunch more points o' crap.

I freaking predict that in 2012 the world will end because all who bought Jetfire will kill everyone around them and then theirselves after realising what they've spent 50 bucks on.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    On the plus side, it looks alright, from a distance. Jet mode is impressively huge. But as soon as you start to handle it, you find out what a fiddlesome frustration it is.

It's an awkward clumsy figure, and the posability is restricted by legs which do the job, but don't straighten up and don't bare the weight terribly well.

Transformation is tricky, but not out of complexity or cleverness. It's tricky because they haven't taken the time to figure it out carefully and refine it. And they use far too much of that horrible grey plastic.

I cut them some slack because it's a tall order with the design and the combination, and they probably didn't have enough time. It at least does what it says on the box. - In the most unsatisfying way. You expect it to be fun, but what you get is an ordeal.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They didn't.

9. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Everything outlined so far is why I don't regret for a second returning one when he sat in his box for two weeks. He seemed cooler to me until I got one. Glad I didn't open it.

10. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

The legends class figure has but one piece of kibble in each mode. Don't own the Fab, but i hear the same about that one.
    Compared to the utter tsunami on Leader 'Fire, i'd call that "getting it right".

11. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is a craptacular figure.
    I hated it.
    It is too small for what it is.
    Should have been a supreme class figure and should have been executed better.

12. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I've bought leader Jetfire twice and have returned him both times. I don't know why, it always seems like a good idea at the time but when I get home and look at him again it just looks like such an ugly figure and start having second thoughts. Yeah sure I might want him to combine with Prime but even then I cant justify the cost.

I might own him (and keep him) eventually but only if I can find one on the (very) cheap.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like him. I guess i am all alone when i think i am lucky to have a Ldr class figure that is not as complicated as Optimus Prime.
    I don't fiddle with him much, so i don't mind some of the "Fatal" flaws posted here.
    would i buy another one? no. But it doesn't mean i am not happy with what i got.

14. interceo

interceo Well-Known Member

i'm not as lucky as you cause in my country there's no leader class Jetfire, only prime an megatron (by the way this megs says something different) so i wonder where're all the Jetfires?

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    He looks cool. Don't own him..... yet, but he looks nice.

16. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I think he's a pretty cool figure. His size in his SR71 mode is impressive, and I think he looks pretty cool in his robot mode as well. I dont like how those 2 panels will pop off if you look at them wrong, and maybe a little thought into at least partially concealing some of the kibble underneath would have made this TF a little better, but what can you do. I'm looking forward to getting Prime for the gestalt maneuver. Overall I'm pleased with this figure, and I'm ok with the $45 I spent on him. :) 

17. rivalarod

rivalarod NACIXEM

i LOVE my jetfire, he's big and old looking and overall just makes my day everyday i look @ him. still gotta get ROTF leader prime to combine but by himself he's great!

18. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

I was lucky to have even found the one I did, but I'm glad I got it.

Yes the Transformation is the stuff of nightmares but both his modes look quite nice with the right touch, the SR-71 is just that nice of a jet I guess. Plus I lucked out and got one that actually lines up without any warping ^_^.

I have both his arms on his cane leaning forward slightly and when you pose him like that he looks more intelligent and less senile (although he can still do the "You kids get off my lawn pose" which is great). I also push his whiskers back against his neck so that they don't poke out so much.

He's definitely not a younger kids toy though (what with the panels and breakable bits, and the blinding rage of trying to transform him for an hour.)

19. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    typical ROTF

ambitious

but rubbish

no, wait that's top gear

ROTF:
    lazy, still rubbish
    they threw money at bay and flashy crap, didn't bother adding any substance in the movie, and most of the toy line is garbage too

just after TF 1, people are gonna look back and wonder why they bothered. it's just hype

thank goodness we have third parties

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    oh, bravo. you're blaming bay for toy design.