ROTF Hightower, Overload, & Scrapper: Life beyond Legends class?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OmarJT82, Oct 27, 2010.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So far only 4 of the 7 Constructicons from ROTF have been made into action figures above Legends class:

• Rampage (Deluxe)
    • Demolishor/Scavenger (Voyager)
    • Long Haul (Voyager)
    • Mixmaster (Voyager)
    The remaining 3: Hightower, Overload, & Scrapper have been made into Legends class figures only!

Why in the hell hasn't Hasbro produced these guys as either Deluxe and/or Voyager class figures yet? :mad 

Why are they willing to spend time and money developing new Transformers toylines (Generations, Power Core Combiners), new molds (Generations Drift, HFTD Terradive), remolds/repaints (Generations Blurr, HFTD Banzaitron) and not put the same effort into upgrading Hightower, Overload, & Scrapper to a higher class? :mad 

Hasbro upgraded ROTF Starscream from fair Voyager from one toyline to kick-ass Leader in another one, why aren't they willing to do the same for Hightower, Overload, & Scrapper? :mad 

I don't know about you, but I am sick and f***ing tired of wondering and waiting and seeing Hightower, Overload, & Scrapper as Legends class figures only! :mad 

I want Hasbro to make Hightower, Overload, & Scrapper as either Deluxe and/or Voyager class action figures! :mad 

WHO'S WITH ME???

2. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll give you a blunt reason.

I think if given the choice over Generations or Upgraded Constructicons, we'd rather have the line that's giving us a Wreck-Gar.

But that's just conjecture on my part.

3. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I Would like these 3 remaing constructicons to be made. But will not Happen, Cause if im not wrong hasbro sayed on their Q&A Of last year that there would not be making scrapper, overload and Hightower into big toys And They Will Only make toys of the constructicons that had more screentime (Rampage, Demolishor, Long Haul, Mixmaster)

4. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    Man, that's bull****!

Elita-1 and Sideways had little screentime in ROTF, yet they were made into Deluxe class figures regardless!

5. eagc7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Dont forget Jolt and the other 2 biker girls, but like i sayed they Meant that They would be making toys of the constructicons with more screentime and they never sayed anything of the other characters with little screentime

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Frankly, I'd pick the upgraded Constructicons, because Wreck-Gar would have a much better chance of being done somewhere down the line after the movie buzz is over.

Really hope they're revisited in the DOTM line, or another yellowbox-styled line comes out later...

7. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well if my memory serves me correctly, Hasbro said the reason they didn't do the other Constructicons at first was because they didn't want to have so many construction vehicles clogging the shelves. And I can understand that, I mean what if a kid doesn't want a construction vehicle Transformer, but that's all there is?

But really, I think the main reason they haven't been given bigger figures is because they're unknown. Who other than dedicated TF fans even care about a guy that got less than a minute on the big screen? And the further away we get from the movie's initial buzz, the more and more obscure they get. I mean, did Hightower's robot mode even appear in the movie? I can't even remember, but I don't think it was.

And as for why Starscream got upsized to Leader class, it's because Hasbro probably believes the general public might recognize him, and he'll hopefully sell. Now, if Hightower, Overload, and Scrapper got newer, upsized figures, would anyone other than TF fans looking to complete their movie collections buy them? I'm STILL seeing Long Hauls, Mixmasters, and Rampages in some stores. And I remember a couple of months ago there was a Target near me with nothing but Demolishers (and Tuner Mudflaps).

And who knows, maybe we'll get bigger versions in the third movie toyline for some reason. It's unlikely, but you never know.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And what about Leader Blackout? And Voyager Bonecrusher? They should totally do those too! Who's with me?! YEAH!

Anyway, sarcasm aside (...I just thought we were finally past this..), I am surprised they haven't done Scrapper, since that character had a robot mode design that made it into the film. No significant screentime, sure, but they had a robot mode prepared for it. Hightower and Overload I can understand not happening, since they had virtually no screen time at all and, IIRC, didn't even have robot modes designed for them.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I remember something about that, but given how many new jet and car molds we get per line, that really comes across as an incredibly lame excuse.

Explain Mindwipe, Incinerator, Stratosphere... By that logic Hasbro should never make toys of characters that don't appear in fiction.

10. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, of course.

Who could forget the mute Autobot who makes the Energizer Bunny look like a mouse on electroshock therapy and Arcee & Chromia, The other 2 biker girls. :D 

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Oh I really don't care.

The constructicon figures have been among the worst movie figures, in my experience. The only reason I'd want more is if my OCD got really bad.

12. eagc7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
  13. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    It's my understanding that ROTF Starscream was upgraded from Voyager to Leader class because of high demand from fans. :inquisiti 

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    ... now this's what I'm talking about, those would make for some horrible, awkward toys that kids wouldn't want.

I could go for Scrapper though. He had a better design than some of the ones that actually got released.

15. OmarJT82

News Credits:
    ROTF Voyagers Scavenger & Demolisher have wheels for legs and yet they're kick-ass figures! :inquisiti 

And as if ROTF Scouts Scalpel (The Doctor) and Ejector look like GQ cover models! :inquisiti 

16. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True, fan demand might have been a big factor in deciding to make the leader ROTF Starscream. But I bet Hasbro was also thinking about whether it would sell to everyone else. Again, my memory is deplorable, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I saw somewhere that the fans make up 10% of Hasbro's target audience, or if not 10% then its still somewhere low. Hasbro can't afford to just go by what the fans tell them they want.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yuck. No thanks on more ROTF Cockroachstructicons.

18. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

In all fairness hasbro needs to do what will make them money. They do make a lot of concessions for fans but they do it in ways that it will sell to a wider audience hence lines like Generations and rts. As for the constructicons i am happy with the legends versions of these figures so i dont care if they ever make upsized versions.

19. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

you're not the only one... I wanted a new mold for Elita-1, but no, what we got: the less similar bike mold repaint (Chromia) =/ what can I say, nothing... if hasbro releases a new version of another figure (Leader Starscream for example) it's because IT SELLS WELL... now, if you pay attention to stores, what will you see (in my situation it is...): Demolishors, Mixmasters, Chromias and Mudflaps (ok, that last one isn't constructicon or bike but anyways) so... do constructicons sells well? NO (that's the same answer I have for the bike sisters...)
    sad but true... now... another point: why do hasbro releases figures of characters based in vehicles that appeared 1-2 seconds in the movie and no in ROBOTS that were in the movie (Elita-1 or Scrapper)... ok, I don't know why... xD
    never lose faith in "generations" or future "multiverse" toylines, maybe there is a small chance that we could get those figures... even if they are just deluxes

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *crickets*

Man, I haven't seen a thread like this for awhile. I think there is quite a small number of fans who would want more RotF Constructicons over more Classics-style entries.

I think the Constructicons were just plain ill-handled in the RotF franchise. It's never clear whether Devastator is the combined form of nine Constructicons, or whether nine construction vehicles are Devastator's alt mode. Then Constructicons are running around fighting while Devastator is wandering around at the same time doing nothing. You don't get a good sense of who the Constructicons are and what their schtick is.

Then the Devastator toy was too expensive for kids and too lame for collectors.

The Constructicons who actually did things are already toys; the only other one that even makes sense is Scrapper/Scrapmetal. I might buy a Scrapper if he came out, but I'm honestly kind of over it. We got Legends Devastator and he's pretty cool. Now just make movie 3 awesome with awesome toys.