Heavy/Scratch: ROTF/HFTD Voyager Ramjet WiP (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OmarJT82, Oct 3, 2010.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1 month and 16 days have passed since I completed and posted Part 1 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/319617-rotf-hftd-voyager-ramjet-wip-part-1-a.html) of this project.

The objective with Part 2, was to replace, paint, and/or dye certain parts of the figure in order to closely match the color deco/scheme as ROTF Walmart exclusive Voyager class Ramjet.
    [​IMG]

For this part, my own dyeing process went like this:

1) Pour whole bottle of pure dye into small pot. No water or other additives.
    2) Heat dye at near medium heat.
    3) When dye starts to boil, place parts into dye.
    4) Remove pot from heat after 5 minutes.
    5) Scoop up parts, wash off excess dye, and dry them off.
    6) Repeat steps 3 to 5 until intended shade of color is made.

PART 1:

A) The outer edge of the cockpit window (from a junk ROTF K-Mart exclusive Voyager class Nebular Starscream) is painted in Testors Model Master Acryl Steel paint.
    [​IMG]

PART 2:

A) Turning the rear wings black were quite a challenge.
    [​IMG]

B) The top rear wings were dyed in RIT Black Liquid dye.
    [​IMG]

C) The rear side wings were painted in Testors Polly Scale Engine Black Model Railroad paint and then sealed with 2 coats of Pledge Premium Floor Finish with Future Shine.
    [​IMG]

I was hoping to dye them in RIT Black Liquid dye but when I tested that on a pair of rear side wings from a junk ROTF Voyager class Starscream, they became malformed.

D) The top rear wings' brown ball joint connector is from a junk ROTF K-Mart exclusive Voyager class Nebular Starscream.
    [​IMG]

E) The bottom of the rear side wings were also painted in Testors Polly Scale Engine Black Model Railroad paint, sealed with 2 coats of Pledge Premium Floor Finish with Future Shine, and the inner gears were replaced by those from the same junk ROTF K-Mart exclusive Voyager class Nebular Starscream I mentioned earlier.
    [​IMG]

PART 3:

Dying the main wings in red was the most difficult task of all. The wings used were from a junk ROTF Voyager class Starscream because after a series of test runs, their present light brown color in combination with the RIT Scarlett Liquid dye used cause them to be colored in a shade of red that came close to the shade of red on the main wings of ROTF Walmart exclusive Voyager class Ramjet.

A) First, they needed to be removed at the base of where they were held so I could dye them. I was unable to remove the wings' rivets without causing any major damage so my only option was to carve and sand out enough of the plastic on the rivet hole in order to make them detachable/removable.
    [​IMG]

B) Now that the main wings were detachable/removable, I dyed them RIT Scarlett Liquid dye. For this, I used up 5 RIT Scarlett Liquid dye bottles.
    [​IMG]

If you look closer, you can see were the wings' original black tattoos (which I removed with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol) were originally.
    [​IMG]

PART 4:

A) As you can see, the color deco/scheme of his alternate mode is almost very similar to that on ROTF Walmart exclusive Voyager class Ramjet.
    [​IMG]

The 2 missles are from the junk ROTF K-Mart exclusive Voyager class Nebular Starscream I mentioned earlier.
    [​IMG]

B) His robot mode is also similar in the same respect. The arms are from the junk ROTF K-Mart exclusive Voyager class Nebular Starscream...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as are his lower legs and the feet are dyed in RIT Black Liquid dye.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, all that is left for me now is to find the right paint colors and apply them onto to figure so that it's color deco/scheme will come close to matching that of ROTF Walmart exclusive Voyager class Ramjet!

Then, I will finally be done!

Attached Files:

2. ACofCA

ACofCA Autobot

Ebay:
    Ahaha!!! That's hilarious, awesome work! :thumb 

3. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Great work Omar! It's a good thing RIT is cheap!!

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    As a fan of this mold I LOVE this Ramjet. Great execution ; both paint app & head-mod.

For me, this is easily a top contender for 2010's Best Custom. :drool:  5 Stars !

5. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    5 RIT Scarlett liquid dye bottles plus 3 RIT Black Scarlett liquid dye bottles used.

That's a total of $25.09 ($2.78 + $0.23 Tax) down here in San Antonio, TX.

Not exactly cheap enough for me! :inquisiti 

Thank you, kindly! :thumb 

6. lordthrash

lordthrash Spec-ops

Man that looks good!! I always loved that color scheme!

7. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent writeup dude, and I appreciate all the details you put into explaining your process. I hope the hands work awesome for you!