RoTF Geography Not So Messed Up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bumblebee765, May 13, 2012.

1. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    We all know the visuals for RoTF concerning the geography were... er... sub-par. Alright, they were bad. The ocean is not within firing range of the Pyramids, there is no airfield behind the Smithsonian, there's also no desert in New Jersey! But, the locations were actually pretty accurate.

I'm in the state next door (Pennsylvania) and I've been to Jersey a few times. Never a desert in sight! Although, locations during the Alice chase/forest fight scenes made a lot of sense. Sam's college is Princeton University, right? That's located in Princeton, New Jersey. Well, they fight Alice there for a short while, then Grindor (not Blackout!) catches them and flies to a warehouse (just ignore the fact that it's surrounded by other buildings and not a forest, another visual geography error). The location of the warehouse is never confirmed, but they filmed the forest fight in the New Jersey Pine Barrens (home of the Jersey Devil, by the way. ), so I always think that the warehouse is somewhere off the Pine Barrens. Optimus Prime dies, and the Decepticons leave. The N.E.S.T. base is located in New Jersey-the same state as the Pine Barrens! Makes sense, right? So all I would really fix from the second movie is the visual geographic errors. Keep the locations the same, but make the visual representations more accurate. Also, the cemetery where Sam meets Optimus is Laurel Hill Cemetery, in Philadelphia. Philadelphia is in Pennsylvania, which is New Jersey's neighbor. Princeton is in New Jersey, so the change from night to day of Bumblebee driving Sam to the cemetery actually makes sense. The place where Bumblebee, the Twins, Sam, and Mikaela hide out is the Eastern State Penitentiary (I think Ghost Hunters went there once...), which is also in Philly. That's once again in New Jersey's neighbor state, which the previous scene was located in (the Pine Barrens), so that location makes sense too!

Make sense, or did I make that completely confusing? Anything you want me to add, or if you want me to clarify anything?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    All I'll say is that headaches can be avoided by dismissing the world in Bayformers as an alternate universe version of our own, where the geography is different from ours.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ For instance, Israel does not exist. :lol 

4. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Forgot about that one... The one error that's not just visual...

5. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    Huh?

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Bayformers World = Bizarro World

7. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

You have a problem with Jews?

8. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Geographically, in the film, they pretty much allude to there being no Iseral. Maybe Steven Speilberg has a problem with... oh wait, that's REALLY fuct up! :lol 

No, but seriously, if you know your geography then you know that the filmmakers don't.

9. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    When did they do that? :confused: 

10. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I'm from PA too, and I actually did not realize the place they were hiding out was the Eastern State Pen...

11. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Nice to meet somebody else from the Keystone State! Honestly the thing that turned the light bulb on for me was tfwiki stating that's where they filmed. I haven't been to Philly often enough to recognize any of it. :eek: 

12. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're wrong twice.

1) Having a disagreement with the sovereign nation of Israel has fuck-all to do with being intolerant towards Jews, and I'll go on the record with that one.

2) It's not my fault Michael Bay set 30 minutes of RotF on the non-existent border between Egypt and Jordan, as opposed to realizing that there's an Israel there.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I also live in Pennsylvania and I appreciate the fact that some of ROTF was filmed in our state. My biggest problem with ROTF has always been the geography errors. Seriously, didn't anyone on set know where Israel is? You can really tell how rushed the film was because of these geographical errors.

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The movie basically implies that Egypt and Jordan share a common border. It even implies that the pyramids of Giza are within visual range (!) of Petra.

In our world, the "border" that separates Egypt and Jordan is named "Israel".

15. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    You just gotta understand that michael gives zero fucks about geography. He did this in TF1, TF2, and even in DOTM. Every time i see the chicago invasion scene it feels EXTREMELY wierd to me, especially when michael stated that places filmed in dotm would be that actual place in the movie. The part where you see decepticons ships blasting buidings was filmed in chicago, but the scenes where it showed the cons vaporizing humans, (including the scene at the destroyed train station with Sam and crew) were filmed in freaking DETROIT.

16. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    or maybe it does, just not in the same place

17. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Whatever works for you, just making a joke there. Of course everyone seems to ber taking it really seriously. o_0

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With a rail gun and enough power the range really isn't that much of an issue. With enough power the range is insane. Of course it kind of depends on no topography being in the way and GPS. Honestly one of the dumbest things in the movie was that Soundwave could hack into everything but he does nothing to the GPS network to knock us back to fighting like in World War II.

But yea it really didn't take a geography major to see just how screwed up some stuff was. Sorry but the mountains in Arizona just don't match any of the east coast mountains so it's one of those scenes that just scream out wrong.

Some directors like to try to nail all the details while Bay is more just shoot something it doesn't matter as long as something blows up.

19. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Summer blockbusters like Transformers are action only. There are no emotions or realism... Only a guilty pleasure. Watching such movies require us to leave our brains at the ticket counter.

When film critics review these, they look at them the same way they look at classical movies. Which is wrong in my point of view. In films like Transformers, all we can enjoy is two hours of explosions and a cheesy love story. Which is great in my book.

It is strange when I compared the plot of TF3 with the Avengers how little the story is for DOTM. Almost like nothing at all... and completely predictable. But I enjoyed DOTM 3 or 4 times at the theater. It was fun and at the time I desperately needed some.

May it be TF1, TF2 or TF3... yes, geography is way off. Well, maybe a little... or not.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  20. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well...then there is the one in the battle between Decepticons and Autobots around Petra temple, with the Egyptian pyramids only couple of miles away.

When in fact, the distance between the two monuments is more than 250 miles.

...also,I'm pretty sure that Sams gf has the same teleporting powers as jetfire since she is able to get to Sam so fast right before the Alice scene...that or they messed up the geography once more.