Minor/Repaint: ROTF G1 Tracks WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by project9, Sep 3, 2009.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

10/3 - He's up on eBay. Not 100% pleased with the result but it's pretty darn good. I just wish the back windshield area where I tried to clean off the blue and adding the magnet was cleaner. Aside from that, he's good.

img_2363.jpg img_2345.jpg img_2346.jpg img_2349.jpg img_2369.jpg
    -----------------------------
    Updated with some closer to final pics. Finished the legs, painted the head and the wings, added some highlights on the wings and arms. Just need to add some gold details on the springs and what not and tint the back window. Also, gotta find a missile rack on eBay. Only been 2 in the past few weeks. =(

I painted the wings flat white, dusted a little flat black for some dirt and details (this is the hood, you know. engine dust/junk - no way it could stay clean.) Added the yellow, green and red stripes to mimic the colors on the G1 sticker and stripe. Added the red on the arms to add a little more color to the bot mode. Felt he needed a little.

So... final details, the missile add-on and nice photoshoot and he should be done. =)

tracks8.jpg tracks9.jpg tracks10.jpg
    -----------------------------
    With the name of "TRAX" showing up in that call sheet and the centennial corvette being a confirmed car, we all assumed he was going to be "Tracks". Well, since we got Sideswipe instead, it was very obvious a blue repaint needed to happen.

To be honest, this is my first direct-to-ebay project. =( I need a little extra money to pay bills and was hoping this could help, even just a little. I plan on pulling out all the stops I can but, unfortunately, this has taken a lot longer than I wanted.

After a few weeks, I've done so far...

* primed/based coated with Krylon Camo Black
    * windows attempted to be cleared. Worked OK on windshield... rear window not so much. I might end up giving him a tinted window instead to cover that up.
    * air brushed with acryl Blue Pearl
    * touched up the logos and grill with Silver as well as under the headlights. coated those pink looking tail lights with Clear Red
    * water slide decal of G1 flame (scanned from Binaltech sticker and traced by hand in Illustrator)

Due up...

* paint/dry brush bot mode and head (white & red)
    * attempt to add magnet under trunk area to mount G1 missile rack

Let me know your thoughts about it and what you think about adding anything else (like wings). I don't think he needs 'em but I'd like to hear people's opinions.

Attached Files:

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    how did you clear the windsheild?

3. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

4. ironarm

ironarm SHALL RETURN IN NOVEMBER

awesome dude

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow, very nice!

6. Driftscreen

Driftscreen Not-So-Mini-Con

Very clean. one of the cleanest Tracks i've seen.

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Looks awesome! What it you painted under the hood white to simulate the wings?

8. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    that looks great. I actually thought of doing one too. Nice!

9. Rodimus_Prime12

Rodimus_Prime12 New Member

Ebay:
    Pretty Sweet man! You got skillz

10. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I've seen that done before and I'm considering it. My concern was with the alt mode but I don't think it really needs them.

Mounting the missile rack might turn into an issue because there's not a lot of room between the 'trunk' and his chest area. I think I'm going to have to put a square piece of metal or something under there and a strong magnet in the missile rack. I just hope super glue is strong enough or I have enough room for some putty to keep it secure.

11. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Love the flames, great job!

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

2 comments, my man.

1, it's a lil odd that the Alt mode is so well painted, but the robot mode has went untouched for the most part, but he's already assembled. I know everyone has their own take on painting, but I don't think I've seen a fully decaled fig that has no or little paint to the Bot mode. The decal looks great though.

2. Yes, he ain't Tracks without wings....it's like doing an Ironhide without firepower...or a huge chin. :lol 

13. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Well, alt mode needed to be done with an airbrush. So I got all that done at once. All the bot mode is done by brush. I can just pop off the arms and legs, ya know. =)

Using the under the hood as wings for the bot mode will work -- but I just don't know if people really want alt mode wings. I'm hoping not. =)

14. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awsome

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Ah ha, airbrush! man, i need to get one of those. I'd say the wings are totally up to you, and it does look great so far...it's just as a big G1 fan, I'd love to see wings on him. :thumb 

16. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Dude, aside from dark colors (black, gunmetal) and dry brushing, I can't paint at all with a brush. haha! I've tried and I either don't have the patience or I just get too noticeable brush strokes. The airbrush is like *whoosh-whoosh* - done, perfect. At least for me, it's night and day difference. But if you have fine areas to do, or even just in general, it's like hours of masking (at least it feels like it). If you're pretty good with a brush, it might not be a huge advantage.

Quick update with some pics. Done some paint work on the arms, chest and one of the legs. Top of the legs and forearms are a semi-gloss Black base with a slight Aluminum dry brush to highlight the detail. Bottom of the legs and the chest are Gunmetal base with heavy Steel drybrush. Leg pistons are painted straight Aluminum.

Attached Files:

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SUHWEET! Nice job, you used the testor true blue pearl, yea? Cause it looks great, truely. :D 

18. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    cool. I like it. looks promising.

19. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Thanks! Yeah, I did. I don't have pipettes to accurately mix paints, so I try to find the best out of the bottle color. (Although I did mix flat and glossy black for the satin/semi-gloss on this guy...) I feel it's a little dark in person but is nice under a bright light.

20. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't worry about mixin paints with pipets man, the true blue pearl looks awesome. As do the decals you made for the hood. Well done sir, well done.