Customs: ROTF Forest Battle Diorama

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Unicron the Chaos Bringer, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

Unicron the Chaos Bringer Protecc this smile!

News Credits:
    So I've been holding off on this project for quite a while now, and I've had to scrap it and start over, but now I've finally decided to start on this project definitively.

This thread is basically going to document my step by step process of building this diorama so that any of y'all who want to make something similar know what works and what doesn't.

So just as a rough guideline this is what it's gonna look like, sorta...
    3714343015_753650274c.jpg
    But it'll be with the ko mpm optimus and unique toys Megatron cause those are basically my definitive optimus and Megatron figures

I'll post materials here as I go, but for now here they are:

1. Pen knife/exacto knife, either works
    2. Pencil, preferably mechanical
    3. Ruler or straight edge
    4. Gloves
    5. Insulation foam
    6. 2 ft by 2ft by .5 inches plank of wood
    7. Hot glue gun, low temp. If you're having help distinguishing which type to get, get the smaller ones, cause those are usually low temp ones by default
    8. Branches, lots of branches. You'll use this stuff to make pine trees.
    So I have no idea what I'm doing so you'll get to watch me scramble around a bit till I figure it out. I'm by no means an expert and this shouldn't be an end all be all guide. Just something to follow if you want a bit of fun and want to find new ways to display your figures. Pictures will be updated on a regular basis so stay tuned.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

Wish you luck, I'm building a full-blown playset myself. Maybe we both can learn something.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Backbeat

Backbeat Well-Known Member

This project sounds awesome! Can't wait to see how it goes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Active now and then

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Can't wait! I know it's gonna be great!

• Like Like x 2
  5. WhatAnEpicTurtle

WhatAnEpicTurtle Well-Known Member

I didn't know Unique Toys were doing a ROTF Megatron!

6. Optimistic Prime

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Same, I thought UT only did TLK Megatron. (Coming out next year)

7. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's the tlk megatron, cause I don't exactly adore the rotf megatron design. I felt that the tlk megatron would go better with the optimus so that's why I'm using him instead. Just clearing up the confusion

• Like Like x 1
  8. Optimistic Prime

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Something different... I like it!

9. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    Update no. 1
    So, I just used insulation foam to figure out the framework of where all the terrain would go. And you can probably tell it's kinda crude, but it doesn't really matter cause we're gonna chuck stuff over it anyways. The trees are going to be added in later today, so stay tuned

The main idea here with these is to just add layers and contours to the terrain as you see fit. In this stage it's less about precisely detailing the terrain as it is about painting the broad strokes.

IMG_20181228_113705333.jpg IMG_20181228_113708994.jpg IMG_20181228_113715535.jpg IMG_20181228_113724848.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Sounds great! I love dioramas but I'm not confident enough to make one myself. Can't wait to see this progress.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    Thanks, I hope you'll enjoy your time here and hopefully gain confidence in order to do it yourself.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    Another quick update, so this is why the branches are so important. The way I picked the branches out was their size in comparison to the figures I was using. And since I'm using mpm scaled figures in this diorama, the branches are gonna be rather large, but if you're using legends or studio series, they're gonna be a lot smaller. I just cut the branches at the point I felt the most adequate, so this would make them as straight as possible, as these will be serving as the trunks of our trees. So, I just used a drill to drill a hole into the bottom of the branch, and with the hot glue gun, I glued and inserted straightened paperclips to act as anchors for the time being. IMG_20181228_120551214.jpg IMG_20181228_121540642.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    Big update no. 2

So basically, I took the branches we modified, and stuck them into the foam board. They were also painted and sealed using a clear top coat and wood stain. IDK the specific color though, if any of y'all want I can check. I then made some paper clay and just laid out the terrain with it. Obviously, when this is all done, I'll paint the clay over to make it look like soil, but right now, I'm just laying out the terrain. Also, if you'd like you can also stick some rocks in the middle of the diorama if you're going for that effect. This update was kinda delayed cause of a failed attempt with the clay, but now that I've got it semi figured out, I managed to make a couple of batches today and put them onto the diorama. Just a quick note with this paper clay recipe, you don't really need to follow the instructions exactly. If you do and the clay doesn't come out as expected, mix in more glue and corn flour as you wish until you get the texture and consistency you want. I've been real excited to shall with y'all the progress that I've made.

The link for the youtube video I used to make the clay:

And with that out of the way... PICS!

IMG_20190101_222149386.jpg IMG_20190101_222203238.jpg IMG_20190101_222211268 (1).jpg IMG_20190101_222216663.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

Nice, I'm finally getting some time to work on custom projects.

If I might recommend something, with most epoxy putty/sculpting material they can warp and weather when a heat gun/hair dryer is trained on them while they're still drying. It creates very natural looking terrain.

15. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice man. The clay is paper based and I don't really know if that's gonna work cause I made it myself. Also I'd like a link to a thread of whatever custom you're working on if you have one

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

Just search up "Decepticon City" with "search titles only" sorry, gotta get back to work.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    Finally found my old 14 megapixel camera which is better than my phone's. The lighting is trash so please forgive me, but yeah, I got the trees in and got most of the hilly terrain and rocks in.
    And yeah, I changed my pfp cause I'm a dirty weeb.

EDIT: I gave up on making the clay myslef and just bought it directly from the store which is why the other parts of the diorama look so much different. It won't really matter, but since I'm busy I'll list the materials I used to make the trees and the type of clay tomorrow. Sorry for the delays
    P1030354.JPG P1030355.JPG P1030356.JPG P1030357.JPG P1030358.JPG P1030359.JPG P1030363.JPG P1030363.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

You gonna use real dirt and rocks?

19. Unicron the Chaos Bringer

News Credits:
    The rocks are real, but not real dirt cause

But for real though, I don't wanna dirty the house. And I've also found a good way to make frock for the diorama but I'll only do that when I have time.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

I'll be honest I was confused for a second cause I just noticed your new pic and I scratched my head (who the f--- is this guy?)

Understandable, I'm getting some fake moss from a craft store for my projects. That stuff is really great for hiding "imperfections" not saying your project has any but me personally I have a habit of going crazy with glue and shears.

• Like Like x 1