ROTF figures paint apps. rubbing off too easily?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I'm not sure if it's paint, the tattoos on my ROTF Starscream are too sensitive. If I pick him up and one of my fingers is on a spot where the tattoos are painted on start to rub off. Even lightly touching them rubs the apps off.

I actually did a little experiment. It rubs off easier at room temperature and higher, but at low temperatures it's more "durable". At low temperatures around 40 degrees you can barely scratch them with your finger nail.

But looking at some of my older figures from the Unicron Trilogy RID and Beastwars the paint is better quality.

I also had this problem with the 2007 Ratchet, Longarm and Dropkick. Is Hasbro using cheaper paint, is it temperature affecting them, or is it a combination of both.

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    No problem on mine. then and again I never had the sticky door paint thing most people had with the UNiverse 2.0 Prowl's either.

QC has been on a downhill roll since Animated to be honest - it was shocking in that line.

3. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    lead free paint is a bitch on the durability scale..

4. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

havent had this problem at all

5. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    mine are all good and shiny

6. bigOPrevenge

bigOPrevenge Member

if you put a coat or two of future floor finish it will give the paint more resistance to scratching/rubbing. its like $5 at target and is actually really good. you gotta really dig in to the paint to get it off after putting this on...let it dry for a few hours to overnight

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Just to head off anybody getting ready to be riled up at Hasbro, Henkei Prowl has also suffered the same sticky paint problem, though obviously, you hear less problems from TakaraTomy toys because most people outside of Japan own Hasbro versions. And as both Hasbro and TakaraTomy's TFs are made in the same factories overseen by Takara, it's a factory problem if anything, rather than anybody being cheap.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no clue what your talking about

9. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

the tats come off easy? well damn. i want one now.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Damn that sucks. Mine is fine.

11. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine either. I don't play with it though. I transformed him and put him up on the shelf.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've heard this complaint of paint coming off for most lines back at least as far as the stripes on Movie G1 Jazz. I've also got a Transmetal Optimus Primal whose metallic red paint came off very easily.

I think it is less to do with the quality control on a batch, and maybe more to do with the age of the paint in the machinery at the factory. Maybe as it ages, it adheres less effectively?

13. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Probably. But like I meantioned before I think it matters what temperature it is where the figure is stored. It's more likely to scratch at 65+ temperatures than below 59-.

14. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I did an outdoor photoshoot with my Starscream under a pretty scorching sun ; indeed I noticed the tattoo paint becomes prone to smudging. But I haven't encountered the problem indoors at higher temps and I don't have AC either.

It's only the tattoo's though...the rest of Starscream's paint apps such as the gold & metallic on his face & chest is rocksolid. I think the tattoo paint app is kind of like the 'laserprint' stuff amongst toy paints.

Breakaway's camo paint seems more durable ; it feels like regular paint.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I have that exact same problem. I bought that thing WAAAU back when, and not even a week later the stripes on the hood start scratching off like crazy!:eek:  I left him in car mode for months, too scared to touch him. I'm not as fearful about it any more, but I still try to keep clear of touching the hood as much as possible (as the stripes anywhere else are still pristine).

I also noticed the paint on my ROTF Silverbolt's cockpit (the thing you have to open to get Superion's head out) was very sticky, may need to clear-coat it before it gets any worse (it's JUST on the edge that meets the fuselage in plane mode). Other than that and the crappy QC on my ROTF Smokescreen (one whole bumper grill is missing a silver paint app), ROTF has been generaly good to me about paint apps (like in the case of Wheelie, when the only painted areas are the truck cab, faction symbols, and his hubcaps!)

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those tattoos must not be permanent:thumbs2: 

Serious note, tons of my Hasbro and Takara figures have paint that rub off once you touch them. Off the top of my head, RID Car brothers, Rail Racer, and Ehobby Astrotrain all have this problem.

17. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Yeah these guys are rubbing off too easily!

18. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    no problem on my Starscream. I only had this problem on RID X-Brawn, 74 Bumblebee and 2007 Barricade, especially Barricade.

19. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to be difficult here- I'm not a bit surprised they're made in the same factories, and sometimes Takara product and Hasbro product are identical. But it seem clear that frequently when they do vary Hasbro is going for cheaper versions with less paint. Since they clearly aren't using the exact same batch of paint on two different looking toys, is it unrealistic to suspect that Hasbro might also opt for more inexpensive paint than Takara? (I don't necessarily believe this, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me either)

20. ChrisIzDaShiz

ChrisIzDaShiz Banned

It's called AIR CONDITIONING!! J/k...I wouldn't know my figures have never seen the outside of the box :bay