Rotf: Even more disappearing characters and bad continuity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MegaHavok, Jun 23, 2009.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tonight, Thanks to the Allspark.com 3 of my friends and I were able to see TF2 on the Paramount studies lot in what has to be the best movie theater I have ever seen in my whole life.

Sad to say I did not enjoy the movie itself though. This is really a hard statement for me to say as I truly loved the first movie. However I have come to the conclusion that Michael bay and company do not feel it is important at all to keep track of locations of characters or develop their personalities. I plan to elaborate this point by looking at each major transformer appearing in the movie. For those that have not yet seen it yet um massive spoliers ahead.

Optimus Prime: It is very obvious that the film crew heard all the complaints of Prime being a pussy in the first movie. In the sequel he is a far more brutal and hard core fighter. He dispatches demolishor even easier then bonecrusher and despite eventually loosing the forest battle he heavily damages Starscream, Grindor, and Megatron. However, it is not explained at all where he picked up these new battle skills. In the two years since the last movie 6 decepticons have come to earth and been defeated but we have no idea how. Since prime is dead for a good portion of the movie he is essentially the exact same guy from the first movie but now with the ability to kick your ass. We just don know how he learned to do it.

Bumblebee: I know this movie was supposed to have a darker tone but I was really hoping it wouldn't effect BB. BB only gets three real character scenes. The one from the showest footage. When he is "attacking" alice in vehicle mode. Finaly when he is trying to motivate sam to not give up. He spends the rest of the movie merely taking direction from sam like a well trained police dog. He also has lost all of his playfulness that made him so fun in the first movie. He beats on the twins when they wont stop fighting and it's probably just me but I honestly have a problem with seeing him kill ravage so violently. It just doesn't seam like something he would do. Another annoying thing for bumblebee is he is once again sent away from the final battle. First as a diversion for sam then later to protect his parents.

Jet fire:
    had amazing potential as a character but he really is only their to advance the plot. He gets sam to egypt and tells him what to do. He has a lot of personality but no story at all. Then he kills himself so prime can use him as an add on set

The twins
    I honestly did like skids and mudflap for the majority of the movie. Lets face it teenagers are that stupid nowadays. I only have two issues with them. 1. Their characters do not evolve at all and at no point do they take the situation seriously. 2. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENS TO THEM IN THE END!!!! It is so annoying that bay just has his characters disapeer like that. The twins are last seen being blasted off of Devastator. I have no idea if they survived.

Wheelie
    Based on the rumors that had been going around I had much higher hopes for wheelie's storyline. I thought he would be more of the double agent type. However I still enjoyed wheelie even when he was humping Megans leg. My only problem with him is HE FREAKING VANISHES BEFORE THE END OF THE MOVIE!!!! We see him telling the other autobots to be on guard duty and thats it he is gone. Vanished! WTF???

Ironhide
    He fares the best out of all the other autobots. However aside from a really great transformation and defending Primes body he does nothing. WE see him badly damaged in the final battle but I have no idea who he fought or how he got hurt

Ratchet.
    In the movie for two seconds with I think two lines of dialogue. RIDICULOUS!!!

Sideswipe
    Sideswipe kills sideways! That is all he does in the whole movie. After that you see him in background shots and laying down cover fire. Thats it!

Arcee sisters. We have already seen the coolest thing they do. Then they are gone for the whole movie. They show up again for two seconds in Cairo and get killed.

Jolt. If you blinked you might have missed him. My friend didn't even know who he was when he combined Prime and jetfire in the 3rd act. I think his car mode was on screen for .25 seconds. Way to promote your new car GM.

On To the Decepticons

Megatron: So we finally saw more of Megatron this time around. As a lackey. Don't get me wrong Megs had some cool moments in the movie but he is inconsequential in the final battle. I honestly don't understand why it was felt that they should bring him back at all. It would have been far more usefull to the character to have him sleep in the second and not revived till the 3rd. However I did love every minute of his interactions with starcream.

Starscream:
    That being said I feel like we only got half a Starscream. He only got to see the lackey side of his personality and nothing else. Where was the conniving? the scheming? the passion?

The Fallen:
    In the words of my nonTF fan friend who went. The Fallen did nothing. Why did he hate the humans? Did he ever leave earth? How did he end up back with the decepticons?

Every other Decepticon:
    I'm putting these guys together because they are completely interchangeable and useless. Each decepticon only served one minor purpose: Cannon Fodder. None of them had any personality to speak of and that just saddens me. Here is just some of the questions I am left with though.
    Where is Barricade?
    What happens to ravage's drone?
    Where did the doctor go?
    How did the constructicons get on a boat?
    Then go to NY NY?
    Then go to France?
    Then go to egypt?
    Where the hell did Scorponok come from?
    When did alice and wheelie come to earth?
    How long was the fallen sitting in that chair?

Because I came to watch this movie to see umm Transformers I am left with a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't get to enjoy any of these characters. All I needed was a couple of scenes like at the observatory in the first one to make me care about these guys. I have no idea who the majority of these chacters were and then I didn't care when they died. This caused me to loose focus and stop enjoying the movie by the time it ended

thoughts, concerns, rants?

2. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had the same thoughts about some of the 'cons. Pretty useless and overall confusing for the general public to have so many constructicons appear throughout the movie.

And yes, where the hell was Barricade and Brawl? If Bonecrusher can make an appearance in the sequel after getting his head ripped off in the first movie, why can't the other two make a return.

As for Ravage and his drone(s), that was just a little bit stupid. Why couldn't they have had Laserbeak somehow sitting on Ravage's back as he was attacking the bunker? As soon as Ravage blew a hole in the bunker door, Laserbeak could have flown in and grabbed the fragment. No need for Bakugan Bots.

As for Bumblebee and his battle with Ravage, I think they were trying to convey just how pissed he was that the 'cons were going after Sam and how far he was willing to go to protect Sam.

3. Agonize

Agonize Decepticon

Post this SHIT in the review topic. The topic that was MADE for these kind of rants man.

You people expect and WANT to much. Its pathetic.

4. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    Spolier Tags would be nice ;) 
    cause ya theres some ncie spoliers i nthere

i dun care but others possibly may....

but ican agree it is a little annoying u spend a complete first movie introducing people and you cant even add them or even mention them in the second like they dont even exist or somthing LAME!! and why even have autobots and or decepticons in thre if they dont even talk hey at least in animated they CHEERED HA lol or had some point to a plot

5. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    The reason people aren't posting in that thread is its moving too fast...you go away for a couple of minutes and theres a a bazillion more pages to trudge through.

6. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Why is there always so much hostility in thread that review the film poorly? Christ it's like they came to your house and slapped your mother.

7. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Its best to not think about the movie. Just turn off all higher functions and watch the pretty girls and shiny things go boom boom.

8. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Thanks for the advice...based on everything I've been hearing, I think I'll be sure to do exactly that.

9. bludgeon

bludgeon Well-Known Member

God, I know. Imagine wanting a coherent story and some screentime for Transformers in a Transformers film. What are these people thinking?

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Kind of sad the way some people can't tolerate anything short of a glowing review that finds no faults to the movie at all. The pro critics are now all idiots because some of them don't like the film and the Transformers fans who were not totally happy with the film are something even worse.

Guess all those watch the movie and make up your own mind should have said watch the movie and make up your own mind only if you find it to be the greatest film ever made.

11. bludgeon

bludgeon Well-Known Member

It's frustrating isn't it? I'm not a 'hater' I'm a 'didn't-really-like-it-all-that-much-and-thought-the-first-one-was-betterer':p  That said, there are obnoxious mouthbreathers on both sides. Think it's just a geek thing in general. Everything either Rocks or it's the worst shit ever.

12. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I am going to take this as a good sign. A necessary stepping stone in the evolution of the franchise. Eventually, a good director a writing team will take the reigns and make a movie with great story to match great action. the action is probably this movie's only saving grace.
    unless this movie really gets slammed at the box office.

13. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    this movie will probably stay on top until harry potter 6 comes out, then see a steady decline. just like the first movie. we're all but guarunteed bay for the third one, so don't get your hopes up. that way, you can't be disappointed! well, you probably will anyway, but such is life.

i hope they stay with the current team, just looking at how a drastic change in the production crew impacts a franchise. the 90's batman lost tim burton and gained joel schumacher, and we got batnipples. the original superman lost richard donner and got richard lester, and we got richard prior and two and a half servings of fail(donner managed half of superman 2. the good parts). and most recently we have the x-men franchise, losing brian singer and gaining brett ratner(what more needs to be said here?). the point i'm making here is that changing the teams mid-franchise has proven to be a good way to kill it, something hasbro and paramount wouldn't want to do because the franchise as it stands is an enourmous cash cow, and the new parts feel out of place as if they should have their own franchise.

so i say let the team as it stands finish this franchise, and afterwards let's have the more serious reboot. after all, wouldn't you rather a fresh start than having someone else take up of something you feel wasn't worthwhile in the first place?

let the inevitableflames begin :rolleyes: 

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm also thinking that Bay on the third film is pretty much a given at this point.

The real question is what happens after the third film. Seems like a lot of franchises lately have been stumbling on the third film. Also seems like the public sets into a been there done that feeling by the third film even for franchises that were red hot at one point.

So guess in three years we can ponder if Bay will be around for the fourth film or will they do something different.

15. butz

butz slippery when wet

Well, this isn't very encouraging. I have my own theory behind the ass-kicking Prime, and I'm not worried about that, but the idea of a bunch of unexplained disappearances doesn't bode well with me.

16. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    I think this Guy is wrong on The Fallen character!

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

The impression I'm getting here is that the movie would've been longer but they cut out stuff to minimize the run time (which people are still complaining is too long); special effects were given top priority, and thus explanations and such were deemed unnecessary and dropped in places.
    How close is this to the mark?

18. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Yeah, wanting a good movie...

that's just so much to ask for.

And Ash wins yet another thread.

19. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

That is true if the plot, writing, and characterization are bad. If they are good, then people will keep coming back for more and more and more. Look at Harry Potter. Its for the characters and story that people like that series. So they can keep producing movies that people will pay to see because people absolutely adore the plot.

If its a gimmick like the Transformers movie where its just a random, disconnected bunch of sequences of stuff blowing up, then that gets old real quick. You can already sense it with the 2nd one - how people are already giving negative reviews even though the gimmick is there and is bigger.

20. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I don't see why there needs to be any sort of explanantion for an ass kicking Prime in this one. One can assume that he underwent intensive training shortly after the Mission City battle, especially because of his poor performance there. If Prime is working for an organization designed to wipe out Decepticons, you'd THINK that he'd at least hone his skills to be prepared for it? This is a silly complaint of yours in my opinion.

Where is Barricade? ---Probably got killed by NEST during that two year interval. C'mon, there's decals all over him.
    What happens to ravage's drone? ---- I'd assume he gets killed when Ravage dies.
    Where did the doctor go? ---- Ran away?
    How did the constructicons get on a boat? ---- Don't know. I haven't seen the movie yet.
    Then go to NY NY?
    Then go to France?
    Then go to egypt? ----As an answer to all three, maybe you can explain to me how Blackout got from Qatar to Mission City in a matter of hours?
    Where the hell did Scorponok come from? ----C'mon man, it's obvious that he was contacted by the Decepticons to join in on the fight. Why does there need to be an explantion for this?
    When did alice and wheelie come to earth? ---- Why do you need to know this? Why does everything need to be shown how they arrived?
    How long was the fallen sitting in that chair? ----Beats me, lol.

Much of these complaints seem to be nitpicks. And I can't believe you complain about Starscream when everyone elese has thus far praised his character. G1 had an entire season to show Starscream's character. You really think all that can be fit into a two hour movie that people already consider to be too long?