ROTF DVD: Which one do I buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OmarJT82, Oct 13, 2009.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 versions of a 2-Disk Special Edition of the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen DVD will be released next Tuesday at Wal-Mart.

But which one do I get?

The regular 2-Disk Special Edition Widescreen DVD?

OR

The Wal-Mart Exclusive 2-Disk Special Edition Widescreen DVD (with the extra, enhanced footage)?

Get I get any advice and/or recommendations please?

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    When in doubt, do what I do. Buy them all. XD

Seriously, though. If you're looking at the DVD and not the BluRay, I don't expect the quality to be that different. So unless 45 extra seconds of a fight scene means that much, I'd say it's a coin toss. I'm sure Wal-mart will do their usual crazy/mad price undercutting for the first day of release, so they'll probably be the cheapest in town regardless.

3. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Get the Walmart exclusive Blu-ray or stay home.

4. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

He's buying the DVD. Of course he's going to stay home. Where else would he watch it?

5. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't buy Blu-ray anything.

One of the Japanese companies (I can't remember which, I thought it was Toshiba, but a quick search showed that to be wrong) dropped the news early this year about developing a cheap terabyte optical disc (y'know CD/DVD-sized). The company in question (when I find the link gain I will post it here) was one of the more open Japanese electronics companies (unlike Sony). Due to the cheap and easy method that is employed for creating this particular terabyte disc, players are expected to reach consumers either late next year or sometime early in the year after (as contrasted with the other more complex terabyte optical disc techniques that have been getting developed since 2004 and haven't hit market or are expected to do so). At that point, forget about Blu-Ray. It'll be going the way of all of Sony's other proprietary formats. You don't want to be left holding the bag when that happens. Be patient and stick with DVD until then.

Of course, since you're going to Evil-Mart anyway, why waste it and not get the one with extra stuff? It may not be that much, but still...

If you haven't seen the film in true IMAX already (not the Digital IMAX BS), then I can tell you, you'll like the one enhanced scene (the forest fight) and hate the other. It was pathetically-jarring to have the picture size keep shifting in the second IMAX-enhanced section. Only the parts that had Devastator (or a piece of him) on-screen actually were IMAX-enhanced. The rest of the movie interspersed throughout that part of the movie until Devastator is destroyed was at normal size and resolution, leading to an awful shifting mess as the movie kept switching in-between the two formats.

I wouldn't let the problem with the second part deter you. You'll probably be able to flip back into the non-enhanced video track after the forest fight with a few button presses that don't even interrupt the movie.

6. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

exclusive that's what i'm buying next week

7. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

Right, but which one should a REGULAR DVD owner get? As in NOT the Blu-Ray.

I'm still torn on it. My lust for all things Transformers is eclipsed by my opinion of that horrid crap-fest of a movie. Therefore, if I buy one, I'm buying ONLY one, and as cheap as I can get it.

8. Cory Bauer

:rolleyes:  Great advice. Pass on the only existing HD format readily available on the market today (for four years, I might add) and instead wait for some imaginary format that probably won't ever be available anywhere. Movies don't need a terabyte of space. How do I know this? Because TDK recently demoed 320GB Blu-Ray discs that are backwards compatible with today's Blu-Ray players, and the response was that it wouldn't be used for Hollywood films.

I'll take my movies on Blu-Ray, thank you very much. You be sure to give me a call when Revenge of the Fallen is available on cheap terabyte optical discs from a company you can't remember on a player that costs $200 or less.

Do you have difficulty transitioning from eyes shut to eyes open when you blink? Because that's about how fast the "awful shifting mess" occurs.

9. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You do seem to gloss over details when it doesn't benefit you (like Blu-Ray not being the only readily available HD format for the majority of those 4 years).

Wow, you really have no clue about how many different terabyte optical disc breakthroughs have been made since 2004, do you? The only reason none of them are in the marketplace (much less the consumer marketplace) is that the discs were too expensive to make at a price the market would bear (considering other current methods for storing terabytes of data).

That is why the most recent one was different, the discs were created in such a way as to be nearly as cheap as other consumer optical discs.

No, they don't. They don't even need as much space as is available on a Blu-Ray disc to get them in HD.

Um, I guess you missed that another company had already demoed a multi-layer Blu-Ray disc with ~500GB capacity that was backwards-compatible with existing players?

I missed what part of negotiations killed that one off.

And Hollywood films not creating a demand for discs with more capacity shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. One current Blu-Ray disc's worth of storage is already more than enough for any HD Hollywood film.

Putting an entire television series on one disc, OTOH, could bring a call for a better format, though.

Go right ahead.

Others may not have as much money as you that they can afford to buy Blu-Ray versions of things now and go replacing them in a new format in a couple of years.

That's really the kind of person that I'm putting the word out for. Since the OP was asking about which of the Wal-Mart versions to get, I thought that they might possibly be among that group of people.

Why would I? Anytime any TF movie gets released in any format, it gets posted as news on tis site.

Besides, with the highly antagonistic responses you come up with anytime you disagree with anyone in any thread I've come across where I've seen you post, I would like to have as little interaction with you as possible.

I understand that you get completely defensive when anyone says anything bad about the TF live-action movies.

This has nothing to do with any single transition. The transition into and out of the forest fight scene is fine.

It's the fact that the with the combat in Egypt, this is done repeatedly over a prolonged time frame with no consistency as to how long each enhanced/non-enhanced sequence lasts. That is jarring.

And no, I'm not going to post further in this thread. Like I said, I would prefer to have as little interaction with you as possible. I also don't have anything else to add to this thread that's even remotely relevant (other than editing in the name of the company that made the most recent terabyte optical disc breakthrough when I find it again). So, feel free to throw whatever antagonistic responses out that you like. You "win". I've got better things to do with my time.

10. craze

craze Targetmaster

F Walmart...

11. craze

craze Targetmaster

Walmart can keep their DVDs..

I'm definitely getting the FYE 2 disc SpEd steelbook.

12. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

100% Accurate. People waiting on the next best thing are delusional. Blu-ray is it for the next 10 years. But of course there will be something better, but not anytime soon. Sorry.

Bottomline Omnus, when you make statements like theres a new cheap terabypte optical disc coming out tomorrow, that no one has heard about, please back it up with a link. At the very least. Otherwise its just rumour and hearsay.

13. TILALLR1

Regarding the OP. I would go with the IMAX version personally. Unless you have or are ever planning to purchase a 2.35:1 screen and anamorphic lens for your projector. Since IMAX is for a 16:9 (1.78:1) screen. You would have to crop off the added footage for a 2.35:1 screen.

IMAX version is longer. Albeit 1 mins or so. IMAX scenes should be made of higher resolution IMAX film (Just like The Dark Knight). Also, opens up the movie for the more intense battle sequences. You can see more.

14. Cory Bauer

I just don't understand the logic of recommending people buy something in the lowest quality format available under the assumption that, one day — years from now — it could potentially be available in a better format than today's best. Especially when today's best format is virtually flawless in presentation, and costs only $2 or $3 more.

Blu-ray's been around for 3-4 years now, has support from every major studio and retail store, and sees every major new release come its way. New formats are easy to dream up; getting anything released and distributed on them is a whole other story. Waiting for Blu-Ray to be replaced by an optical disc with more space is like waiting to buy a Prius until they can go 1,000 mph.

15. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Aren't blue ray movies like $30? I would much rather buy a $15 or less regular DVD.

16. Cory Bauer

No. The 2-Disc ROTF DVD set is $21 on Walmart's website; the 2-Disc ROTF Blu-Ray set is $24. The first Transformers film was available at Best Buy for $11 earlier this week, on Blu-Ray. Regardless, what Omnus is suggesting is that people should spend $15 on the DVD next week because one day there will be a format technically superior to Blu-Ray that you can buy it on, even though Blu-Ray is already visually and audibly flawless in a home theatre environment.

17. TILALLR1

The only thing I can think of is he must be an HD-DVD fanboy. Typically those people feel they got burned by blu-ray, so they go out of their way to bring it down with crack pot ideas that there is going to be a replacement for this format anytime soon. Its utterly rediculous. You lost the war, suck it up and move on. Blu-ray was the better format, is the best format and has a long life ahead of it. Much, MUCH longer than DVD or your precious HD-DVD would have had.

Let it go.

18. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I am right there with you. I'm still debating buying it at all, honestly.

- Coeloptera