ROTF DVD: 2-Disk Special Collector's Edition vs. Wal-Mart Exclusive

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmarJT82, Oct 20, 2009.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that the DVD is finally out in stores and most of you have probably popped in it to see it's features and the film itself immediately after buying it, which version of the ROTF DVD is, if fact, better and worth buying?

The 2-Disk Special Collector's Edition (Widescreen) or the Wal-Mart Exclusive (Widescreen)?

2. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I live on the West Coast so I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm heading out at 12 A.M. to get the Wal-Mart exclusive.

The Wal-Mart exclusive is the best exclusive IMO.

3. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Okay, so I bought the Wal-Mart blu-ray that states it's a "Big Screen" edition. Yeah, not so much. It's still widescreen, except the IMAX scenes. Am I missing something?

4. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, you know if the DVD Wal-Mart exclusive has the IMAX scenes? I'm pretty sure but I just want some clarity. I'm too cheap to buy a blu-ray player :D 

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Nope. You got exactly what you were supposed to.

I'm guessing you mistook "Big Screen" for "Full Screen."

6. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Well, I'm fine with widescreen. I prefer it, actually. But, yeah, it threw me off. Thanks.

And I didn't get a chance to see any of the DVDs. I haven't bought a DVD in two years. Haha.

7. Starkenator

Starkenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, the Walmart version has shifting aspect ratios for the IMAX scenes like the Dark Knight which is awesome! WM is also selling them for $19.96, minus $3 with my Papa Johns coupon! The forest scene looks incredible on Blu-ray!

8. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    ^
    $20 for a 2 disc blu-ray set? I'm sold, and that's an extra $10 I accounted for that I can spend somewhere else!

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Isn't the Walmart version just the two disk but with the Imax footage?

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No... I got the Bluray Walmart Edition last night (yes 20 bucks). In addition to adding the Imax Aspect scenes, there is extra robot footage. It's not long, but it's there, and some of it is pretty badass, especially between Optimus and Blackout: Part 2, as well as a few more exchanges between the bots in the forest.

I'm not sure if there is anything after that because I had to go to bed, but having seen this movie in the non-Imax edition more than my share of times, I can confirm that there is new footage in the Wal-Mart edition.

edit: By new I mean, not seen in the regular theaters, but shouldn't be new to people who saw it in Imax, but since you saw it there for the first time, you wouldn't notice anything new.

11. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Wait... there's even more robot footage then there was in Imax? Holy crap. I had no idea.

Edit: Nevermind. That's what I meant, the Imax extra robot footage. :eek: 

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, in other words, if you saw the movie in Imax, this shouldn't be new. I didn't, but I saw it a billion times, so as soon as that footage showed, I noticed it immediately. I think I recall Blackout: Part 2 cutting into Prime with his blades, and of course Starscream crashing into trees after Prime kicks him in the face.

13. Unicron1

Unicron1 Banned

$20!? Oh cunt yeah! Cant wait till I get out of here!

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I'm at work and I can't wait to get home and watch this shit. I watched a few minutes last night to verify the new footage, but now I really want to dive into these two discs. That's what she said.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't think the extra Imax footage makes the Wal-Mart exclusive any better than the normal 2-disk versions, in fact, the fact that it's a Walshit exclusive makes it instantly worse, imo. I haven't gotten it yet, but when I do, I'll be going to Target and getting the 2-disk Bumblebee case version.

16. crasis

crasis Yahk Deculture!

News Credits:
    The extended forest battle easily justifies the trip to Walmart. Anyone who claims the IMAX edition has no new footage simply wasn't paying attention.

I saw the film in regular theaters three times, and then decided to catch it one last time in IMAX in August when it came to the Aquarium in my area. I was starting to think people were right about the lack of new footage...until the screen increased in size and more of the battle between Prime, Starscream and Blackout/Grindor dazzled my eyes. And no, it wasn't a "blink and you'll miss it" sort of thing. The music even changed to accommodate the extra scenes. It's pretty obvious if you've only ever seen the normal version of the film. There's also a few new moments with Devastator later in Egypt. Granted, the new stuff is painfully short, but it added some extra robot screen time, which I'll never complain about. The decision to go with Walmart this morning was obvious.

But then again, I'm also the sucker who plans on heading to Best Buy this afternoon for a second BD copy with the Prime bust and Sideshow Gift Card.
    And I don't have a blu-ray player yet! Today may be the day a PS3 Slim comes home with me, as well. :eek: 

17. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Good God I'm confused. Oh well, Ill find out when I buy it tonight.

18. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You two were right on the money!

Got the Wal-Mart Exclusive DVD this morning at my local Wal-Mart here in San Antonio and let me just say:

IT IS 1000% KICK-ASS!!!

:rock  :rock  :rock ​

19. zannus

zannus Well-Known Member

Are the IMAX scenes only on the Blu-ray or will they be on the normal dvd version from Walmart also? Too poor to afford a Blu-ray player :( 

20. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering how the Wal-Mart exclusive isn't available in Canada, nor do I have the means to trade, or buy online, guess what I'll be doing?

According to Wal-Mart.com, both the DVD format releases, and Blu-Ray format releases have the footage. Just make sure you pick up a "Big Screen Edition".