Minor/Repaint: ROTF Dirt Track Wheelie

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Nightwind, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

The first time that I saw the design for ROTF Wheelie I was less than impressed. Then I saw how awesome the engineering is and said to myself "I think I'll pick the little guy up anyway." I didn't expect to love this figure so much!

Since Wheelie has these fantastically large tires, I thought that it would only be natural that he should be driven on a dirt track or taken on a 4x4 adventure. This is my take on what the end result would be if that happened.

First, I want to say that I had the song "Dirt Track Date" by Southern Culture on the Skids running through my head the whole time that I was working on this guy! If you haven't heard the song before, check it out and you'll see why! :) 

I tried to make the dirt look somewhat realistic. I imagined that there would probably be heavier mud on the bottom of the vehicle and lighter along the top. I also know from personal experience that mud dries in stages so you always have a couple of different shades going on when you're vehicle has been driven through mud and dirt.

I did keep mud off the metal parts of the robot mode, though. I know that's not realistic, but I wanted to try and keep some of the dirt in check and I think he turned out better because of it.

I hope you all dig what I've done here! Since we're getting so many awesome ROTF customs right now, I wanted to contribute as well but with something a little different from the rest!

As always, comments and critique are appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    awesome. dirty like he should be.

3. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Woah! Very nice weathering! The mud at his side doors are an excellent touch!

4. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

"Whadda you looken at, slobber puss?"

Nice detailing. :cool: 

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

That mud job looks great.

6. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

make a repaint and call him MUD-E

7. Nightwind

Thanks, guys! The feedback is certainly appreciated! :) 

8. Spyro

Spyro Banned

:jawdropper: 

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Monster truck Wheelie! That is awesome!

10. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

Looks great!

I would like to make 1 suggestion though.

When you go Off Road, be it full size or RC, mud tends to get stuck in the tread. On yours you have the mud tone on the raised portion of the tread. This is actually what would be in contact with the road and left black while the recessed area should be the mud color with little clumps in their for detail if you wish. Like I said, its just a suggestion to help make it look more real, the truck as a whole looks great.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Love a good looking Dirty paint job. Looks like he just left the track! :thumb 

12. Nightwind

Wow! Such positive responses! Thanks again all! :) 

Thank you so much for this feedback!

I think the pictures are a little dark, but the wheels actually have a darker brown in the deeper portion of the tread and the lighter brown is being used for the raised portions. The thought was that the truck is still hanging out in the mud pit and the mud on the raised part of the tread has already started drying out.

I like the idea of little clumps! I could probably pull this off pretty easily, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll post updated pictures when I get the chance. I've also thought about making him a slingshot that can store in the bed of the truck! :D 

13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very cool. Is there anyway to give this guy a normal head? I hate that stupid face.

14. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

This looks so cool. i think keeping the dirt off the robot parts is okay, it's like when he transforms he has to "oil himself" anyways to allow trasnfromation, so that would be wiped away. Seriously looks great. i know alot of people don't like this little guy, but I dig it. i miss transform his arms in vehicle mode so wheelie can do a wheelie. original i know...:) 

15. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Even though I think the bot mode just totally sucks, you did a great job on him. The mud details look spot on.

I'd love to have it just to display it in the alt mode

16. Nightwind

As promised earlier, I made Wheelie a slingshot! It's made out of a R.E.V. figure. I just took the figure apart and used the upper arms for the prongs, the crotch for the connector, an upper leg for the handle, and an old missle tip to extend the handle. The slingshot band is made from a plastic bracelet. Not the cleanest work I've ever done, but I think it adds something different to the custom, at least!

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The slingshot really sets this guy off. I can totally see him doing that! :lol 

Great work, man :thumb