Heavy/Scratch: RotF Devastator WiP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hthrun, Mar 23, 2011.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    And once again I have you to thank for pointing it out!

2. hthrun

Ebay:
    Tongue attached

The tongue is now attached! I glued together two sets of Legos to make the tongue sturdier. There's a pic that shows how the tongue folds up when the mouth is closed. It won't stick out as much when it's painted...

I had an issue with the head coming off to easily, so I'm going to revisit that. I currently have the Lego "sticks" vertical and the Lego "hole" pieces slide on them horizontally. I'm going to swap them so the head won't be able to lift off the Lego pieces...

Attached Files:

3. sezz

sezz Screenaccuracypurist

the tongue also splits in two, are you going to do that too?
    and if there is a way to do it, you might give him motorized treds in his neck:) 

4. hthrun

Ebay:
    Ooh, perhaps... Can you point out some good pics?

Do you mean Scavenger's treads? I don't think those are in the CGI, are you talking about some other ones? Though I have considered replacing them with moving treads I've seen on other toys, but I'm not sure I'll be able to...

5. sezz

If you watch the scene where devastator first opens his vortex thing, you then see his 'tongue' come out, which splits in two directly after.

And the treds I meant were the ones in devastators neck, because his entire neck actually consists out of scavengers treds. But it would take quite some effort to customize the toy to pull that of:) 

6. hthrun

Ebay:
    I think I will have to look into that. It should be a lot easier than getting the face to split, and would make the open mouth look better. Thanks for the suggestion!

I never noticed the treads in the pics. I just noticed Mixmaster's wheels at the base of his neck, which I incorporated into this one...
    But yeah, I think you're right that it would be too difficult. I hate Scavenger's treads there and I've looked at moving them or making them flip down before. The thing is a lot of other stuff is connected to them, so I'd pretty much have to redo all of Scavenger and the torso. Which I guess wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea...

7. sezz

It would also give more options to build in neckarticulation, which would severly add to posingpossibilities:)  you could also use faux treds, that store somewhere inside scavenger in vehiclemode

8. hthrun

Ebay:
    Given everything that's already built in,I don't think I can make it any more pose able...
    Oh, and I'm not worried about storage. The while head is going to be a separate piece... Unless I can build a over load for it...

9. hthrun

Ebay:
    Redoing the head connection...

As mentioned above, last night I started working on redoing the Legos that hold the head in place. I cut off the old ones and drilled bigger holes for the new ones. I was about to start using Apoxie Sculpt to keep them in place, but my daughter woke up and wanted to snuggle. That's why the pics are blurry :) 

Attached Files:

10. hthrun

Ebay:
    3-28-12 Update

New pics of the new connectors! The ones in the front seem to work pretty well, I still need to test the ones in the back... If it doesn't interfere with the transformation, I think I'll attach that black Lego piece in the middle of the gray connectors to Mixmaster. That should hold him nice and still then...

Attached Files:

11. mrplasticrobot

mrplasticrobot Well-Known Member

Cant wait to see him finished bro!!! :) 

12. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks Larry! This reminds me of paying off debt. My other projects are like loans here and there that I'm paying off, while Devastator's like a mortgage which will take a lot longer :) 

13. hthrun

Ebay:
    Rear connector finished

I finished up the rear connector and tested it out. Works much better! Now I can hold him up by Mixmaster's legs and not have to worry about them sliding apart. I also took a pic of their vehicle modes, still look the same...

I tried attaching that one black Lego piece to Mixmaster but it got in the way of his vehicle mode, so it's still going to be a loose storable piece...
    Next I'll look at the connections between the head pieces that go around Mixmaster's legs. Hopefully I can improve those as well...

Attached Files:

14. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    this is lookin really cool :)  keep it up!

15. hthrun

Ebay:
    Reworking connectors...

Thanks legolas!

I've been redoing another set of the connectors. I had to redo one side again because I think I squished the cross hole. The second time I did it I had a peg piece in so that wouldn't happen again. Next I'll have to shave it down and try putting it all back together. Then I'll redo the connector that's currently the blue Lego piece in the same fashion...

Attached Files:

16. hthrun

Ebay:
    Back connectors update

I've got the first two back of head connectors finished. Like the earlier connector update, I glued some extra pieces on the ends to make them easier to pull out.
    Next I'll work on replacing that last back connector...

Attached Files:

17. hthrun

Ebay:
    Rear head connector

I did the rear most connector last night. I just glued the necessary pieces in place and didn't have time to add any apoxie sculpt. I'll leave it as is and add the apoxie sculpt later if the glue bonds don't hold...

I'd like to use a ratcheting joint in place of the Lego piece for where the head turns. I used one of my Beast Machine Nightscream knees on my RotF Megatron arm, hopefully I can find the other one for Devastator...
    In the meantime, if I don't find the joint, I'll start working on sezz's idea to make the shovel tongue separate...

Attached Files:

18. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking good! That is some nice engineering you have going on there!

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks, it's definitely been a learning experience. I get a kick out of going back and looking at the first posts where I was using tape and cardboard :) 

20. sezz

I can understand that:)