Heavy/Scratch: RotF Devastator WiP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hthrun, Mar 23, 2011.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    RotF Devastator

I moved the text from this post to my next one. I was getting tired of scrolling through all of it to update the pics :) 

Big thanks to Janeials22x for his inspiring Devastator and to Moy for posting Devastator pics!!!

Milestones
    - Face split
    - Jaw extenders
    - LEDs and beads for eyes
    - Hightower finger mod
    - Use Mixmaster's wheels for neck support
    - Attached vortex
    - Battery compartment
    - Splitting tongue
    - Rampage Mech Tech port
    - Longhaul Mech Tech port
    - Hightower cables
    - Tubes on upper back
    - Latest pics of Devastator combined
    - Tongue complete

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Nice...pretty smart...

3. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    great work, this is going to be awsome...

4. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Oh yeah, this will be good.

5. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Sounds familiar.... :wink: 

Good work. Will be watching this.

6. hthrun

Ebay:
    And I'll definitely be watching yours for inspiration! Like the lower lip idea :thumbs2: 

I loved Devastator in RotF, but his toy is severely lacking. I'm trying to fix what I find to be its two greatest issues:
    1) The head is completely unposable and Mixmaster is way out of scale.
    2) The legs are woefully inadequate for posing the toy and pop off very easily.

I'm currently working on item 1. First thing I did was acquire an extra voyager Mixmaster and remove his arms. The vehicle mode still stays together very well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then tried it out in Scavenger. I decided to remove Mixmaster's cannon to make him fit better. I might add it back onto another part of Devastator down the road:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mixmaster will work kind of as an attachment between Scavenger and the head. While I don't mind parts-forming or having extra accessories, I'm hoping to be able to store the head in Overload once I work on him...

To give Devastator's head a lot of articulation, I grabbed several pieces from my son's Lego Ben Ten toys (don't worry, he never played with them):
    [​IMG]

I then used masking tape to make part of the head assembly. I want him to still have his vortex. After these pics, I replaced the eyes by cutting up a Mountain Dew bottle and placing some of the plastic inside. I have tin foil behind it to make it look metalic green:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I may move onto super glue, but I like how the tape is easier to work with when I make mistakes.
    In the following pics, you can (hopefully) see I added more Ben Ten pieces to the back of the head assembly. I then attached it to Mixmaster's legs using packaging rubberbands. I'm hoping to find a better way of attaching them, but at this point the bands work well because I can leave them on Mixmaster without hindering his transformation back to vehicle mode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pics show how well the legs work for supporting the head while posing. You can also see I've been trying different ways of fitting in Mixmaster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My next step I'm working on is how to attach Mixmaster to Scavenger. At first I tried making "pockets" out of thin, clear plastic to slide Mixmaster into, but those did not hold well. Next I'm going to try creating a plastic foundation inside of Scavenger for Mixmaster to fit into.

I've also added some details to the Constructicons with paint markers, and will continue to do so. I'm not going to do entire paint jobs, though, as I don't care for the weathering look...

Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. hthrun

Ebay:
    Update 3-30-11

Last night a made an insert for on top of Scavenger (or underneath if you think of it from his alt mode). This keeps voyager Mixmaster in his "head mode" from loosely moving around.
    The insert was simply made from cardboard (cut from a diaper box) and masking tape. Since it will be barely visible, I plan on wrapping it tightly in aluminum foil as opposed to painting it. I think this could produce a neat effect, and I can always paint it later. I will then secure it to Scavenger with transparent tape.
    After that, I will work on locking Mixmaster in there when they combine. I'm hoping I can come across something better, but right now my plan is to use some thin clear plastic and put tabs and slots in them (like I did on my cardboard MP Ultra Magnus armor)...

Attached Files:

8. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    ooooooh another devy. I like the idea for the head

9. hthrun

Ebay:
    Update 4-1-11

Here's a pic with the insert foiled and taped in, and Mixmaster in place in head mode...

Attached Files:

10. hthrun

Ebay:
    Update 4-11-11

The other night I tried adding the clear plastic to hold in Mixmaster, as seen in the photo. I really didn't care for how it was working.
    I thought about it and next I plan on trying some Legos. If it works, I'll glue some on the sides of Scavenger's insert, then have others that plug onto those ones to hold Mixmaster in place. I'll have to start going through my son's unused Legos...

Attached Files:

11. hthrun

Ebay:
    Update 4-23-11

I've put this project on the backburner as I worked on the RotF Jetfire's knee mods. While doing that, I picked up new bits for my dremel and have become more comfortable with it. I decided to scrap the cardboard idea and go with full plastic. I bought a Lego set that I'm going to use to make Mixmaster's base in Scavenger. Before I start that, though, I want to make the different things the Lego set is intended for :D 

In the meantime, with one of those new dremel pieces, I cut the eyes off of the supreme Mixmaster and put them back in Devastator's head. Unfortunately, I should have cut closer to Mixmaster because I trimmed off part of the top I wanted to keep. But I just sanded it down even and it should work ok...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

awesome

13. hthrun

Ebay:
    Update 4-27-11

Thanks!

Last night I worked on a new insert made of Legos. So far I've put together a base to hold Mixmaster stable, but I think it might need some tweaking. Then I'll work on Lego pieces to hold him down. Once I've got it all put together so it works, I'll super glue the Legos together and maybe grind off the visible nubs...

ETA: I just remembered I still need to figure out a new way to incorporate the wheels that come off of Mixmaster! I'll have to look into that as well...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  14. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    interesting dude :p 

15. Destructicon 1

Destructicon 1 Original Gestalt

It's looking good man. Legos are great aren't they.

16. hthrun

Ebay:
    They sure are!
    I just looked at some online pics of Devastator. Usually you can't see Mixmaster's wheels, and on the one pic I could they were tucked off to the sides. So I think when I get a chance to work on him again, I'll try making an insert to accommodate the wheels on either side of Mixmaster...

17. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Mixmaster's wheels are actually attached to the underside of his neck with a whole bunch of springs and hydraulics in between. I attached mine near the base of his neck and they hang down a hit to fill in some gaps. Works amazingly well aesthetically, in my opinion.

18. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks for the tip! Do you know of a good site for Devastator pics? When I Google I usually see the same ones over and over...

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Update 4-28-11

Actually, to keep the project from getting stale, I decided to work on a differet part of it: the head assembly again.
    I cut off a couple Ben 10 sockets and glued them to the mandibles. I also cut off a ball joint that I'll glue to the back of the face, but first I wanted to paint it black. Now instead of them being taped stationary, they'll be much more durable and movable.
    I'm also painting all the parts black. Later I'll do some grinding on the Ben 10 bodies and glue them together. I was going to cut off the extra ball joint plugs for later projects, but I'm going to wait for now. I might need to attach extra limbs to them to help support the head's "shell," but hopefully not...

Attached Files:

20. hthrun

Ebay:
    Update 5-2-11

I pretty much stripped down the Lego insert and remade it. I used Lego blocks with pegs on the top and side so it would touch the three sides in Scavenger. It fits much more snugly.

My main goal this time around was to make something to hold the back of Mixmaster in place that would allow easy disconnection. I used two pieces with hinges and another piece that I will glue on one side to act as the "lock." After thinking about it some more, I'm going to replace that piece with a longer one so it will have a "tab," making it easier to lift. I also plan on cutting small pieces of plastic off other toys and gluing them inside the hinge pieces to create a tighter fit...

I used tape to hold the Legos in for now, and the structure seems pretty secure. I held it upside down and Mixmaster didn't fall out! Next, after working on the head assembly some more, I'll work on parts to hold Mixmaster down in front. (You can see where I taped a couple small blocks as a start...)
    I decided to hold off on Mixmaster's wheels until after this part is done. Then I'll add some Legos to the wheel sections and to Scavenger that should allow a variety of configurations...

Attached Files: