Minor/Repaint: ROTF Devastator G1 Repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by yodasmeagol, Aug 24, 2009.

1. yodasmeagol

yodasmeagol Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Ahh, this bad boy.

So, I just recently got into painting and customizing Transformers, and I loved all of the awesome Devastators going around. I figured I'd try my hand at one. Probably not the best choice for a beginning customizer, but hey, ya gotta learn somehow.

When it came to customizing the figure, I tried my best to make the color most accurate to all incarnations of G1 Devastator (looking at reference images of Devastator and the constructicons in their vehicle modes from the cartoon, as well as toy and statue counterparts). I had to do my best to make the colors really work altogether (such as keeping the forearms black, but also keeping the main vehicle color green, etc.).

In the end, I think it's a well-balanced design that most accurately reflects what Devastator should look like. I love things like how I made the head truly accurate to the G1 toys in giving it yellow eyes, along with making the main face silver and outer parts of his head black. And how the black on his head looks like a different, more glossy black than the treads and tires. That was actually unintentional, just kinda turned out that way. Heh.

Definitely something I wanted to do was add some wire onto Hightower for cables. It just looks empty without it. And I found this poster board at a craft store that was like a texture of a mirror, so I used it to make small mirror pieces for the side mirrors of Mixmaster.

[​IMG]

In the end, I definitely worked hard on it and I think it looks pretty cool. Hope you guys like it.

Attached Files:

2. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NICE!!! Even thou it doesn't fit the realism the movie implies (lol that giant alien robots are real) I really like the G1 homage colors. It actually goes on better than I would have expected.

The only suggestion I can make is maybe adding some more detailing to the black area of his face to break it up a bit and to so off the sculpted detail areas.

3. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Looks good. I'm surprised that color scheme works that well on this incarnation. I think the head looks great, and I like how the purple on the hydraulics near the chest suggest the G1 design's iconic chest shield. As a suggestion, I think Mixmaster could use some more detailing in vehicle mode (headlights maybe?) which wouldn't detract from the overall look when combined. Very nice paint application. Is that sprayed? What kinds of paints did you use?

4. yodasmeagol

yodasmeagol Member

Ebay:
    Actually, when it came to that, I wanted this to be a unique custom in that the paint job was smooth rather than "worn". Pretty much every other custom of him has been worn, and when it came to the G1 design, I really picture it to be clean, just as the G1 toys would be.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I did want to keep it as accurate as possible, so I just made a solid division, as if he had an outer part that was black compared to his face that was silver.

Thanks. I started out with a base black. Then I tried to use this cheap airbrush to add the green (Tamiya X-15, the PERFECT Constructicon green), but it wasn't going on smooth enough, so I buckled down and got the Tamiya spray for the color. The purple parts are all drybrushed with Tamiya X-16 (yet another PERFECT Constructicon color). I added silver and black details with some Testors enamels. Then covering it all with a few clear coats for protection.

5. rivalarod

rivalarod NACIXEM

oh wow. it looks amazing...great job.

6. altezen

altezen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice work. It will look better if you use different type of black or metallic colors to further detail up the face.:) 

7. OPMEGS1.0

OPMEGS1.0 I Dislike Hotshot's jam!

Ebay:
    why bother painting long haul? he's the same COLOR! i don't understand!

8. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

looks sharp

9. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice work. I'm surprised how well the color scheme translates to the movie figure.

10. Mudslide

Mudslide Likes the fall.

That looks very nice. Great job.

11. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

That looks really good in G1 colors. You did a great job with the color scheme.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    seeing as there is actual construction vehicles that color, realism still applies, other than the purple, looks great, not just because it's a homage, but the uniform colors actually make the piece stand out

13. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    id be tempted to buy this if he came in these colors..

14. metallichemist

metallichemist Well-Known Member

Great work! I am tempted to work one myself! Now churning some ideas for this toy in the future.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    The colors look great!

16. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

Now if the mass release had looked like this I wold have had it without a second thought !!!

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Wow. This is pretty nice. I think my only issue would be the gloss finish you used. I'd have preferred a matte coat. But that's generally where I lean anyway. Regardless, this comes out much better than I was expecting.

18. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Very very nice, tons better than the original colors.

19. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I want that in my living room!

20. AMG

AMG Old School

Great job with the repaint. He looks a lot better with a uniform color scheme.